• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox gone

Vin

Afternoon all, I’m new to the forum so please be patient .

I have a 2007 Type R and my gearbox has packed in. What i would like to know is will a later cars gearbox fit? Or does anyone on here rebuild them?

I am assuming this is an FN2? if so they are easily obtained for cheap or you could just have it rebuilt with better syncro's etc, depends what's gone within it.

Whilst you're at it I would (in your shoes) add an LSD to the g.box whilst it's out

Thanks for reply. Yes it’s an FN2. Not sure what’s gone inside there but I can’t get any gears and it’s making all kinds of noises.

Will boxes from later cars fit? LSD is an option and have been told later cars had lsd fitted from factory?

Thanks Wilmo. If anyone knows of a gearbox please give me a shout.

Some to sale on eBay or join some Honda parts pages on Facebook.

however if you don’t know what’s gone I’d get it checked out first by a pro or call the likes of TGM Sport in Fleet or VTEC Direct etc and see what they think as it could just be the clutch or synchro’s or something and cheaper than a whole box (depending what it is)

Some to sale on eBay or join some Honda parts pages on Facebook.

however if you don’t know what’s gone I’d get it checked out first by a pro or call the likes of TGM Sport in Fleet or VTEC Direct etc and see what they think as it could just be the clutch or synchro’s or something and cheaper than a whole box (depending what it is)

This. It would be very unusual for the entire gearbox to fail. Usually you’d have issues with individual gears and not all.
It’s sounds more likely that it’s an issue with the selector or as Carl has said, the clutch.

This. It would be very unusual for the entire gearbox to fail. Usually you’d have issues with individual gears and not all.
It’s sounds more likely that it’s an issue with the selector or as Carl has said, the clutch.
I’m just surmising on the gearbox. It’s started with it being difficult from 2nd gear to 3rd then over time 3rd to 4th the other day driving home I couldn’t get any gears which is why I thought it was the gearbox. Will know a bit more once the gearbox has been removed.

I’m just surmising on the gearbox. It’s started with it being difficult from 2nd gear to 3rd then over time 3rd to 4th the other day driving home I couldn’t get any gears which is why I thought it was the gearbox. Will know a bit more once the gearbox has been removed.

Sounds like clutch to me, had the same with my old DC5, however mine started in 3rd to 4th then 2nd to 3rd

Got the gearbox out and the casing has cracked ‍♂️. If anyone knows of a gearbox kicking about please give me a shout.

Sounds like the clutch.

Back