• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Possible oil leak....? TIA

Hey guys, wonder if anyone would have an answer for me before I ring Honda. Basically I paid for them to change my rocker cover over and since then I have been getting a build up of something predominantly in one corner (see below). Also, when I drive for about half an hour or during a spirited drive I get a burning oil kind of smell :? So my thoughts are that the rocker cover gasket isn't sealed correctly and oil is leaking onto the rocker and then burning due to the heat. Initially I thought it was a build up of road muck but I've cleaned it off and the weather has been better but it's back. This, coupled with the smell, has lead me to believe they have done a naff job. What are people's thoughts?

Many thanks :)

DSC01919..jpg

That's not oil, looks like rain, salt and dirt coming though the grille.

Also, do you know if they replaced the gasket (advisable) or used gasket paste?

So my thoughts are that the rocker cover gasket isn't sealed correctly and oil is leaking onto the rocker and then burning due to the heat.

If the outside of the engine was getting hot enough to burn off oil then the inside would probably be melting....

That's not oil, looks like rain, salt and dirt coming though the grille.

That's what my initial thought was, but then questioned why it would be localised to the corner of the cover furthest away from the grill's 'line of sight' if you will..

Also, do you know if they replaced the gasket (advisable) or used gasket paste?

And no, no mention of a replacement, so I'm pretty sure they just used paste

That's what my initial thought was, but then questioned why it would be localised to the corner of the cover furthest away from the grill's 'line of sight' if you will..

It will all depend on the how the air flows around the engine, it won't necessarily go in a straight line....

Not that I'm aware of. I check my engine oil quite regularly so I would hope that I would have noticed. Yet even if I am being a "special" and it is merely crud, what would explain the smell after virtually every drive since it was swapped over?

Does anyone else get this problem who has taken off the silver cover?

EDIT: just had a look and noticed the cover doesnt come that far over, disregard my comment. Not leaking coolant are you as that's the same side? And I may remember you buying a new rad cap (may not be you though)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else get this problem who has taken off the silver cover?

EDIT: just had a look and noticed the cover doesnt come that far over, disregard my comment. Not leaking coolant are you as that's the same side? And I may remember you buying a new rad cap (may not be you though)

I did buy a new rad cap yes, I shall investigate this option and report back, cheers dude.

No worries fella, hope it's nothing serious. Might also be worth checking the top up pipe that's near it as you never know

EDIT: isnt there a join in the aircon hose not far from that area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this helps but I've had an oil leak in that exact location before, it was as dotty said earlier due to them using the gasket sealant paste instead of replacing the gasket.

But that white residue doesn't look like oil at all. More like coolant or water. Did you hose clean your engine or do you have an open bonnet hole like a mugen bonnet?

No worries fella, hope it's nothing serious. Might also be worth checking the top up pipe that's near it as you never know

EDIT: isnt there a join in the aircon hose not far from that area?

Don't have air-con mate so wouldn't be that, thankfully.

Not sure if this helps but I've had an oil leak in that exact location before, it was as dotty said earlier due to them using the gasket sealant paste instead of replacing the gasket.

But that white residue doesn't look like oil at all. More like coolant or water. Did you hose clean your engine or do you have an open bonnet hole like a mugen bonnet?

No haven't hose washed the engine bay and have an OEM bonnet, so I'm leaning towards a coolant leak from the rad cap Didn't get a chance to check it last night so will do it tonight once I'm home. May have to put the OEM one back on and see if that makes a difference.

Have you checked the nuts that hold the rocker in place? Sounds obvious, or stupid - but are those grommets toight, toight loike a toiger? there are holes beneath the grommets which oil can leak from (if it is oil) and as a result of being loose, the gasket won't be tight - if you know what I mean - you should have given me a shout man, I'd have been happy to do it for you, for like a burger and chips as long as it included burger sauce LOL :lol:

Serious though I've got my Inlet mani cover off, and didn't use paste/gasket seal/sealent nada, or get a new gasket, and mine seems to get cleaner rather than muckier - wait, that's because I hardly drive it :p

Hello mate, I will check the jets too but I wouldn't think it's those as seems a very odd thing to leak :?

Bonnet insulation is still intact yes, yet haven't checked the tightness of the bolts etc as Honda did the work and guess took for granted that they knew what they were doing :? So will make sure with all the rest of the bits tonight..

That's not a bad shout, as Karl had jazz jets fitted. Maybe these/hoses have frozen in the cold weather and split possibly?

It appeared prior to fitting the jets, as only fitted them over the bank holiday weekend (lazy) lol But will check the hoses, yet they seemed intact when I swapped the jets over

:lol: you still got alot sitting around then, you're terrible. Quick to buy, not so much when fitting lol

Back