• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Brembo lacquer peel?

Anyone had the Brembo lacquer start to peel on the front callipers? If so did Honda do anything about it under warranty?

Out of interest, have you had the brake fluid changed? Often a bit left in the nipple gets hot and runs down onto the caliper starting the lacquer peel. Lightly sand the edges and apply some vht lacquer to fix.

Happening on mine quite badly on both sides, Honda have rejected my claim due to 'outside influence' :rolleyes:
Said the same with my off side rear alloy wheel too (paint bubbling up from underneath)

Lucky I have a mate with a body shop who can sort these out for me, when things open up again

I haven’t had any work done on the brakes so I’d assume it’s unlikely to be due to the brake fluid.

I have also had my warranty request denied due to the dealer sighting use of wheel cleaning products rather than shampoo as per the owners manual. It’s pretty ridiculous that they don’t use a more durable lacquer that can be cleaned with ph neutral and or acid free cleaners. I’ve been quite careful about the products I use so it’s disappointing.

I probably should have used some kind of sealant or ceramic coating on the callipers although I’m not convinced this would make a big difference.

I haven’t had any work done on the brakes so I’d assume it’s unlikely to be due to the brake fluid.

I have also had my warranty request denied due to the dealer sighting use of wheel cleaning products rather than shampoo as per the owners manual. It’s pretty ridiculous that they don’t use a more durable lacquer that can be cleaned with ph neutral and or acid free cleaners. I’ve been quite careful about the products I use so it’s disappointing.

I probably should have used some kind of sealant or ceramic coating on the callipers although I’m not convinced this would make a big difference.

Sadly I had exactly the same with the calipers on my FK2. Honda were simply not interested. The dealer did offer to repaint them but unfortunately the logistics of the process did't work so they are still in a sorry state.

I reckon it's more of a Brembo thing than a Honda thing imo. I know people who have had similar issues with Subaru & Mitsubishi back in the day too

Mine are looks bad too, tbh the car is three years old and no garage queen, but the paint work does seem to chip easily.

Yes,they all do it. As said it looks like it's a Brembo thing. I noticed on mine it's just one area and is not spreading.Just to protect put a bit of collinite wax to seal. It might eventually come off with the heat but it's better than just leaving it. Or as said above spray some lacquer on.
Regards Fred.

My calipers also look a sorry state and sadly its due to brembo paint.
I'm looking at getting mine powder coated which should sort the issue out .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I had lacquer peel on both my FK2 and FK8. I tracked both cars frequently and the brakes get very hot. Brake fluid leaks as mentioned above can cause this as well.

Hi All, nice to be back. The forum seemed down for ages, but maybe it was just for me! I have been over on facebook Fk8 UK owners page.

I had the dreaded peel in Feb. I was paranoid about my calipers and had no issues. This time I used Bilt hamber, then used a master blaster air dryer which I think simply ripped the week points away. Savage frosts didn't probably help either.

Sanded it down as best I could, masked it up, got some Spray lacquer from Halfords and so far its holding up well.

kxhUZ0q.jpg

HOa5nTW.jpg

1uwy3Gs.jpg

I have the same problem with mine now, A job I plan on doing very soon, Will the Lacquer need to be heat resistant I wonder?

Good to see you back young man :)

Suffered from this on all my Evo's. The lazy option is to spray some "back to black" on them. Works a treat short term :)

One of mine has started on my 2019. It’s in for a service in a couple of weeks and the dealer has said they will put a claim in for me but I’m not holding my breath.

Back