Search results

1. The Mighty Clam

FK8 Tyres...help a noob out....FK8

Hi bud, I'm just over the River in Rochester. Funnily enough when I was getting the tyres fitted I noticed they had a big swanky Hunter alignment rig right there, so I asked them to check it and subsequently got them to adjust the front and rear as they were both out, the front by some margin...
  2. The Mighty Clam

Well it's all been rescheduled for Friday, blackcircles gave me a goodwill gesture of £15 off for the mess up. It's mad how quickly the front Contis wear down, mine are around 1.5/1.6 mm and the rears are still on 4-5 mm! Almost certainly the Michelins will last longer. Tracking needs doing as...
  3. The Mighty Clam

Well, I attended my appointment at the local tyre place to get my two new front MIchelins fitted and they couldn't find them. After an hour of waiting around while they were on hold to blackcircles, I went home as it was apparent they weren't going to turn up today. Around 5pm I got a call from...
  4. The Mighty Clam

Hi all, good to see the forum back up and running, looks slick. I'm needing two new fronts imminently as I'm engaging the traction control in 3rd gear in dry conditions with warm tyres now! I want to go OEM size with the Michelin PS4s, but I was shocked at the price difference between the same...
  5. The Mighty Clam

FK8 NYE FK8 treat!

Excellent, the only shame at the moment is the weather is very wet and cold, not the ideal conditions to enjoy the car. But I've found it to be very pleasant to drive when you just want to drive normally, very comfortable, decent interior and a wonderful gear change even just shifting while...
  6. The Mighty Clam

FK8 NYE FK8 treat!

Is today still the big day Zig? Hopefully all has gone well and you are a happy little fish.
  7. The Mighty Clam

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

Blimey that's a reasonable chunk less than Honda gave me for part-exing my black edition FK2! Good result.
  8. The Mighty Clam

EP3 Engine Management Light came on

Had it's first service yesterday and Honda plugged R2-D2 into it to find out what happened - apparently the fault code was for a camshaft sensor. They tried replicating it but couldn't and all the diagnostics were saying everything is fine, the engine timing is correct, no issues. They said it...
  9. The Mighty Clam

Haha :smt104. Well, the previous owner was Honda so I bloody hope not!
  10. The Mighty Clam

Yes I've been doing mostly short journeys picking the childling up from school every other day in the dark, then it sits around for 2/3 days over the last few weekends due to not being allowed out. There is no low battery warning though and it's not been struggling to start. I took it out last...
  11. The Mighty Clam

Not modded, the car seems to tick over and rev fine but I'll speak to Honda tomorrow and see what they advise, warning has gone, it idles and revs completely normally, no warning lights or anything. The metallic noise sounded more like something rattling like a heat shield or exhaust, rather...
  12. The Mighty Clam

Evening all. Not very happy at the minute, just went to pick my daughter up from school, fired up the car and there was a reasonably loud metallic rattle followed by the dash lighting up like a christmas tree with the "ACC" logo illuminated, the two cars hitting each other logo coming on then...
  13. The Mighty Clam

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

I have to say I echo the Michelin PS4S comments - I had two new fronts on my FK2 in August (annoyingly only did about 1k miles before I accidently bought an FK8.) and the grip and warm-up was so much better than the Continentals in cold, wet conditions. Now in my FK8, the Continentals are just...
  14. The Mighty Clam

EP3 Back with an FK8

I'm thinking of getting mine ceramic coated too, how much did yours cost Pingu? I still don't like red cars but that looks bloody amazing!
  15. The Mighty Clam

FK8 FK8 incoming

Nice, I don't really like red cars but the red and black looks really good.
  16. The Mighty Clam

EP3 I might be about to go mad and get an FK8...

Mrs Clam has an FN2, the clutch pedal drives me up the wall! Getting in that car, compared to the FK8 feels like a 2CV compared to a Rolls Royce in terms of ride quality. It's still an excellent bang-for-your-buck choice though at the prices they are currently, and arguably - very arguably, it...
  17. The Mighty Clam

I've taken the car out again and got an exact reading on the vibration. It happens at 3700 rpm in 3rd gear and sounds like it's coming from in front of me, possibly the speaker or the dash surround, but pushing and poking everything while keeping it vibrating didn't reveal what it is. Might pop...
  18. The Mighty Clam

FK8 FK8 incoming

Nice one - glad you've had a happy new car day! Take a look at my mini-review here, from my FK8 thread https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105815-I-might-be-about-to-go-mad-and-get-an-FK8/page9. Most of what I found to be improved is the same as what you have described, I only...
  19. The Mighty Clam

FK8 FK8 incoming

Re: things to look out for when driving away, I didn't find out until a few days later that you didn't have to put your foot on the brake then release the electronic handbrake every time. You can just drive off and it disengages automatically. Dotty - I believe Torque GT have taken over the FD2...
  20. The Mighty Clam

FK8 FK8 incoming

I've milled around on the DC2, DC5 and FD2 forums so I've probably seen you about. Congrats on the impulse buy! I kind of impulse bought mine a couple of weeks ago. Traded my FK2 black edition with a deal I couldn't refuse. They are still allowing car pickups at the moment then?
  21. The Mighty Clam

EP3 FK8 Inbound

I wish they had gone more hardcore with it personally. Like the Megane R26.R or the 911 GT3 - rollcage in the back, harnesses, titanium exhaust, Perspex rear windows, thin door cards etc. But to not do all that, and then not have the satnav/stereo would annoy me intensely. If they had gone...
  22. The Mighty Clam

Yeah but has it got a rear wiper? No. Automatic disqualification. Seriously though, I'm glad it exists and I'm glad Toyota went mad, I think it will make a very good used buy in a couple of years.
  23. The Mighty Clam

I wish Mrs Clam would let me do that.
  24. The Mighty Clam

Drifting is for people who want to go slowly round corners ;)
  25. The Mighty Clam

Yeah I've had a look at a couple of YouTube vids, seems straightforward enough. I think I'll be able to manage it, despite my fists of ham and my fingers of butter.
  26. The Mighty Clam

I'll probably try and fit the filter at the weekend, no doubt being a new car it will be an engine out job. :p Also might have to put a Type R boot mat on my Xmas list.
  27. The Mighty Clam

Present received from garysan today, great stuff mate, thanks very much =D>
  28. The Mighty Clam

I very nearly bought another P1 about a year ago after I sold my first FK2. It was a one owner, 64k mile example with full service history. It was being sold on a no reserve auction on ebay on behalf of a recently deceased uncle, by his nephew. I went and test drove it, had a full on poke...
  29. The Mighty Clam

Ah fellow past P1 owner :D. I was the sad git that had a teddy Scooby in the back of mine. It now lives on top of the dvd unit! Think this needs a pic. Had two P1's and a couple of years ago a 2005 WRX Sti widetrack model.
  30. The Mighty Clam

No I can't stand tossing about with plates, hate the tinted ones as well. I really want to drive my new car, but I work from home and can't think of an legit excuse to go on a blast! I brimmed it with petrol just before lockdown and we have enough food. Apart from spaghetti.....hmm...
  31. The Mighty Clam

Yeah, I know what you mean. I once got tugged in my Impreza P1 as it had an aftermarket front mounted intercooler and the big number plate obstructed the airflow so that the car would run hot, so I had a small one. Mr Policeman was cool though, think he was more interested in the car.
  32. The Mighty Clam

I see, well I couldn't find any of that on the gov site. I'm sure plod isn't going to be too concerned about a missing postcode! Still, my number plates are now not affixed with screws, maybe an anal plod would have pulled me for that!
  33. The Mighty Clam

Why would they? It's standard plate size, conforming to the BS 145d standard, it's got an official manufacturer logo on (my other half's FN2 has this logo on her original dealer plates) and you don't have to have a blue GB / UK badge if you don't want to. Being super-anal, I've actually made my...
  34. The Mighty Clam

Much better number-plating. My OCD monkey has been fed.
  35. The Mighty Clam

Yeah I'll have a look into that, might be worth it for a more undisturbed air feed. Got my new plates already, went for a subtle logo that looks kind of manufacturer standard without being too knobbish.
  36. The Mighty Clam

No, I know the engine was rebuilt by Steve Rivett, Clio cup champion and now BTCC driver Paul Rivett's father. There were photos of Paul driving my RX-7 on a track day on his driver coaching website. I actually straight swapped it for an Impreza P1.
  37. The Mighty Clam

That's exactly why I sold mine before anything expensive happened! I always wanted one as a kid, scratched the itch and then got rid before chaos ensued.
  38. The Mighty Clam

Sounds good, although annoying when you're not in the mood. You can pick them up so cheap now. I'll see your RX-8 and raise you a very lightly modified RX-7! 370Bhp. Complete pain in the arse.
  39. The Mighty Clam

Thank you garysan, didn't even let me pick up postage, what a gent :smt038. I have had a look at a couple of YouTube videos of before and after the K&N filter has been added, it does seem to make the 'tshhhhh' a bit louder, so that will do me. I'm actually quite happy with the exhaust sound, I'm...
  40. The Mighty Clam

That's awesome mate, thank you very much! You sure you don't want anything for it? At least let me get the postage? I'll DM you :smt038
  41. The Mighty Clam

Yes Mrs Clam has an FN2 Type R. I'm not getting old and fat, but blimey the ride is harsh! Not FD2 harsh, just kind of rudimentary. Looks great still though, I think the FN2 has aged really well. I don't think I'll be doing anything with the intake properly just yet, possibly a K&N filter...
  42. The Mighty Clam

Couple of pics, really does look mental in the flesh.
  43. The Mighty Clam

Stupid b*stard piece of s**t satnav!! Good to see some things never change. Ended up stuck in a traffic jam that seemed to stretch from Wimbledon to Coulsdon! Anyway, made it back now. Very First impressions: what have I done?! Electric handbrake is annoying, why do you have to put your foot on...
  44. The Mighty Clam

Did we park and take pics in the same place Mark?! Farewell.
  45. The Mighty Clam

Yes, sorry - misread it. I always preferred the hidden ones although people will be less confused when trying to get in now! Yes Fan - they made 100, it was just red wing endplates, anodised red around the cabin air vents and mainly black seats with red stripes as opposed to the other way...
  46. The Mighty Clam

+R is never overkill! I agree with the door handles, don't know why they changed it. It even looks like there is a blanking plate on the FK8 where the door handle should be.
  47. The Mighty Clam

Oh I have no doubt in 10 years time the black edition will be worth £30k - it happens with everything I own! I had two Impreza P1's back in the day, sold them for around £8k. I also had a 1 owner Renault 5 GT TURBO Raider with 55k on the clock, sold for £3k. Mazda RX7 sold for £7k, the list goes...
  48. The Mighty Clam

Given Lockdown 2 is now happening I have re-arranged collection day for this Tuesday. I know there are far greater problems at the moment than 'my new car' but it would just save a whole pile of grief. Still, less time to wait now before FK8-ing! I spent this morning with the OCD-ometer turned...
  49. The Mighty Clam

Definitely picking up next Saturday (7th Nov), looks like a washout this weekend. Hopefully I'll have a chance to actually clean my car before next Saturday and it not get rained on, or bird poo'd. I have just over a whole week to try and not get too excited :smt119. Bring on Type R #10! (DC2...
  50. The Mighty Clam

Well, it finally happened. I went full mental. I have put a deposit down on a 2019 polished metal FK8 Type R. As some of you already know I did briefly consider waiting for the facelift model, but there is nothing on it apart from the gearknob I'm particularly bothered about. I have been...
  51. The Mighty Clam

EP3 Buying/financing your Type R

Damn and blast! I will miss the FK2, especially it being a black edition, but hey I like the parcel shelf and rear wiper on the new one, so that's me sold ;).
  52. The Mighty Clam

Well I did it! Deposit down. What have I done :scare: Although result - I did manage to wrangle another £500 off, I do like a haggle! I'll put any more updates on my 'I might be about to go mental and get an FK8' thread, as it's not really relevant in this section any more.
  53. The Mighty Clam

I've been weighing up the pros and cons (and annoying Mrs Clam all evening!) and I think I'm going to go for it. I think the offer I've received for mine chips a chunk off the price of theirs in my mind, if you see what I mean. I don't think I would get more than £21,000 for mine in a private...
  54. The Mighty Clam

I think I would have only opted for the facelift if it had a configurable drive mode instead of the 3 fixed options. Sometimes you just gotta have your suspension in squashy and your fun pedal responsive! Unless something comes up that's a better deal, I think I'll perhaps wait until December...
  55. The Mighty Clam

Aren't the new ones £35,995 now? So even with £3k off via carwow or similar that makes them in the region of £33k. My budget was only supposed to be £26k! Maybe it's better to wait until after Christmas like I was planning to do. You know when one comes up that's perfect, everything seems to...
  56. The Mighty Clam

Yeah I'm not too fussed about the facelift, I don't want an alcantara wheel on a daily car, don't like the synthesized exhaust sound thingy and the extra cooling for brakes and grille will be lost on me as I'm not going to track it. Gearknob is cool. Yes I'm very impatient too! I'm just...
  57. The Mighty Clam

Yeah I know what you mean, I have been offered around £20k for my car as a straight sale, they are offering me £22k for it. I thought it wasn't a bad deal with the service pack, 2 years of warranty left and only 4k miles. Thing is, if I wait until facelifts start dropping into the same price...
  58. The Mighty Clam

£24k on an 11 month old FK8? Where are you getting that from?
  59. The Mighty Clam

Yes that's the one I might be taking leave of my senses for very shortly. I've been haggling for the past couple of hours on and off by phone and email, they've offered a part-ex of my black edition plus £6k to change. I think I just might.
  60. The Mighty Clam

Bit of FK8 buying/price advice needed please - would you say that a 1 owner November registered 2019 FK8 in polished metal with 4000 miles and the 5 year service pack is about right at £28,500?
  61. The Mighty Clam

What did you do to your Type R today?

I'm potentially looking to part ex my Black Edition FK2 for an FK8 soon, I'm getting a whole variety of valuations on mine. One dealer has got a black edition FK2 up for £24,995 with 16k miles on. Might be a decent time to try and get into an 8, Wimbledon Honda have a polished metal November...
  62. The Mighty Clam

Yes I have noticed an awful lot more for sale now that a lot of finance options have come to an end. It's hard trying to value mine as there is only one other Black Edition for sale at the moment and it's up with a Honda dealer for £24,995 with 16k on the clock. I think they are chancing their...
  63. The Mighty Clam

A couple of years could possibly be turning into 'a year...' My hankerometer is starting to ping again, it is a dangerous time for the rebellion.
  64. The Mighty Clam

EP3 FK2 Rev Hang

You get used to it after a while, it's not excessive, but noticeable. Is it any different on the FK8?
  65. The Mighty Clam

EP3 Stop/start inop and cruise wont cancel

My stop start is very random, sometimes I'm convinced it's stopped working, other times it works every time I stop. I think maybe it doesn't work at all if there is a low battery, but as others have said it tends to go AWOL due to 'reasons.'
  66. The Mighty Clam

FK2 Climate control - dual zone issues

Thanks to all who replied, I have an update on this. Well I had it inspected by an ex-Honda guy who set up his own business and he check it over and found all the motors and directional venting bits (stop me if I'm getting too technical!) were operating fine and the heating/cooling aspects were...
  67. The Mighty Clam

Yeah I just always leave it on a set temperature around 20 degrees on 'auto' all the time. I don't mess around with the other buttons for changing fan speed or direction of fan - I have since the problem has occurred, but like I said it's always just set on auto to 20 deg.
  68. The Mighty Clam

Hi, thanks for replies - I don't know about the door actuator unit, seems a very unusual problem, but wouldn't rule it out. I checked the coolant and it is full - not easy to check the coolant, it's in a black tank! Might see if an independent Honda specialist can look at it next week, anyone...
  69. The Mighty Clam

Hi all, I posted in the faults section but haven't had any joy so thought I'd have more luck in the FK2 specific section. I've got a 2017 FK2 and the dual zone climate control has stopped dual zoning. The passenger side vents and left middle vent get ice cold, but the driver's middle and side...
  70. The Mighty Clam

FK2 air conditioning not very cold?

Update on this, was coming home today and was doing the same thing, struggling to cool and I checked the vents with my hand. The passenger side vent and left middle vent were absolutely ice cold, the driver's middle and side vent were just slightly cool air coming out. Any ideas? It's obviously...
  71. The Mighty Clam

Yeah probably best to get it checked, I'm just trying to avoid going out much at the moment. Might see how it goes after a few runs, but if it's still playing up i'll drop it to an air con place.
  72. The Mighty Clam

Hi all, after a bit of advice please - wondered if anyone has encountered this issue. Car is a 2017 FK2 Type R and the last two out of three journeys the air con has been blowing not very cold air, even when I turn it down to 18 or 'Lo'. It was blowing on full for an entire half hour journey...
  73. The Mighty Clam

Haha, yes I was thinking it's time to bring this to a close and move forums - I'll revisit this thread in a couple of years to update when I go for an FK8 :smt023
  74. The Mighty Clam

I must say I do prefer the FK2 dash in some regards - particularly the big analogue rev counter and fuel/temp dials, and most importantly the twelve, yes twelve actual LED shift lights instead of LCD rendered ones. The FK8 dash is still nice though, it makes more sense for a start!
  75. The Mighty Clam

Haha, hi mate - yes I haven't gone full boring just yet, gotta have a sprinkling of crazy and silly red wing endplates :woot:
  76. The Mighty Clam

Thanks mate, shame I didn't get your one - I'm surprised how quick the black editions are snapped up, I thought they would hang around a while despite being a limited edition. Although unfortunately I do have to go to Leeds now from Kent, instead of Stratford upon Avon.
  77. The Mighty Clam

Haha, yes I'll enjoy my Jazz. Although to be honest, all joking and rivalries aside, what an amazing time to buy a hot hatch. There are so many to choose from with a variety of drivetrains and gearboxes, and they are all pretty damn good. I'm sure if you bought a Hyundai i30n, Golf R, Type R...
  78. The Mighty Clam

Well I've gone mad, although not quite as mad as originally intended, and put a deposit on a black edition FK2. I've paid more than I was originally budgeting for an FK2 but hey, it's only done 14k miles and it looks like a nightmare demon creature from the underworld with blood red fangs on...
  79. The Mighty Clam

Yeah, I actually prefer the seats in the black edition if I'm being honest. It's still paying a premium for not an awful lot though, especially as they were sold at the same price as the normal version. If someone is looking at selling theirs at a sensible price I would definitely consider it...
  80. The Mighty Clam

Haha, indeed. Well a little update - after some thought, I have decided not to go full mad. I think I am going to opt for another FK2 Type R (had to sell the first one due to financial reasons, but all good now). It offers 90% of what the FK8 can do, bar a proper rear suspension! (although it...
  81. The Mighty Clam

I'm glad you still think it was worth it after parting with so much money. I've been procrastinating so much on this, now my other half has just casually dropped in how are we going to have a wedding now if I blow all my money! Grr.
  82. The Mighty Clam

I've been tossing up between Championship White and Metal for so long, but it's quite muddy and rural where I live so that has decided the colour. My FD2 was white and it's not good for an OCD person! Forgot to say, mileage is 12,900.
  83. The Mighty Clam

Yeah - I'll see how I go with the exhaust, can't believe I might actually be parting with so much money for a car :shock:. Help me get over the line here! I have my eye on a 1 owner polished metal example, 2018 with the service pack, up for £25,995. Is this about right, price-wise?
  84. The Mighty Clam

Interesting, my FK2 went the other way. Still, I think it will be loud enough for me - I'm getting too old and responsible to wake the neighbours at silly o'clock now!
  85. The Mighty Clam

Just out of interest, has anyone that has racked up a few miles on their FK8 noticed a change in exhaust sound / loudness? I noticed that my FK2 exhaust got louder and more beefy after about 6 months of owning it.
  86. The Mighty Clam

Thanks all, I'm currently in a Clio 182 and I'm loving it being so small and nippy. My FK2 felt huge in comparison. Ally - like you said about lining it up in parking bays - I always found I parked the FK2 askew and never resolved the issue! If you parked what felt like straight, you were...
  87. The Mighty Clam

Hi all, but of a lurker here, I've been on here for a while but never posted. I might possibly be buying a Polished metal FK8 in the near future. My sensible head says hang on to the money, but my heart says you only live once. I have previously had two Integra DC2's, two DC5's, an EP3, an FN2...