• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Shoonk

EP3 05’ EP3 Type R: Next Steps?

No problem, hope you get it all sorted
  2. Shoonk

EP3 05’ EP3 Type R: Next Steps?

Next steps is a difficult one as that would be up to you and your budget. For now seems it's been idle for a while I would start with a good service, changing plugs all filters and fluids, get valve clearances done the same time, timing chain inspection or change if it hasn't been done and...
  3. Shoonk

EP3 Genuine Honda exhaust

Are you just after the B pipe? Or a full system? Have you tried Cox motor parts? They tend to be my go to for OEM parts, maybe worth contacting them. You can pick up just a b pipe from a few aftermarket companies resonated or unresonated. Otherwise as Chris said the fujitsubo is a cracking...
  4. Shoonk

Phil’s ep3 resto

Do you fancy doing mine Great work.
  5. Shoonk

Suspension bushes

Have you tried Hardrace? They seem to do lots of suspension components including full bush kits. Also Spoon have started selling full kits again too. Have you looked at SuperPro and Polybush too? Or are you looking for OEM replacement? The above are stiffer than OEM but you can choose your...
  6. Shoonk

FN2 Eventually I joined the club

I have Potenza sports on my EP3, they are really good but just something to keep in mind the starting tread depth on them is considerably lower than on other makes and they are very sticky in the dry hot weather so they will wear quickly. My EP3 is not my daily so wear isn't an issue for me, if...
  7. Shoonk

FK2 Exhaust

I have seen milltek systems on other cars and wasn't that impressed with the quality. Like others that's my opinion. Cobra seems another popular choice, I liked the look and sound of the Invidia. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  8. Shoonk

FK2 Exhaust

Impossible to say really, sound is down to personal preference, are you after a really loud exhaust, quiet, somewhere in the middle like sporty but not loud? Are you pushing for maximum performance? Do you want more for looks? Just a lot of variables to answer your question really. Sent from...
  9. Shoonk

EP3 EP3 gear advise

I would get the clutch done, if I remember I replaced mine around 80k as the pedal travel was low and when cold felt not quite right, new clutch and it has been great since, a friend fitted mine though so got a genuine clutch kit and mates rates worked out cheaper for me. Even though a clutch...
  10. Shoonk

EP3 EP3 gear advise

Have the clutch been replaced at anytime? What is the mileage of the car? If it is a high mileage example and has never had any evidence of the clutch being replaced, I would go down that route first. Otherwise, yes it could be synchro related but that is an expensive repair, gearbox out job...
  11. Shoonk

EP3/FN2 service schedule

5 litres of engine oil for an oil change, I usually get an extra litre for top ups, 3 bottles of MTF should be enough for a gearbox oil change, I'm pretty sure 5 litres for coolant should be enough and 2 or 3 bottles of brake fluid for a full change I think, you can also use the same brake...
  12. Shoonk

EP3/FN2 service schedule

Lots of places to get service items from, I use Opie Oils for oil and some other fluids, also the likes of Tegiwa, Coxmotorparts etc. Oil and fluids are personal preferance really, genuine Honda is fine, I always use genuine Honda MTF for gearbox, I've always used Castrol Edge for engine oil...
  13. Shoonk

OEM or Tegiwa?

A bulb went out on my cluster once, managed to find bulbs from Ling's Honda, however, I probably paid the above just for one bloody bulb [emoji23] naturally I bought a couple in case I remember saying to myself sod am I paying that amount for poxy bulbs again, luckily I haven't had too. MOT for...
  14. Shoonk

My first Type R - EP3

Cool little addition, congrats on Type R ownership. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  15. Shoonk

My first Type R - EP3

Is that a sunroof? I didn't think EP3 Type R's had a sunroof as an option only the normal civics. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  16. Shoonk

Phil’s ep3 resto

Fantastic work [emoji106] Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  17. Shoonk

OEM or Tegiwa?

It's a decision that so many of us have kicked around before, stay OEM or not? In my experience OEM parts have been high quality and easy to fit, cheaper aftermarket version can be fiddly to sometimes fit and quality isn't quite as good so if you want to keep the car as OEM as possible, use OEM...
  18. Shoonk

OEM or Tegiwa?

I doubt the 400cel cat would cause any issue with the EML coming on, you can always buy an O2 sensor spacer which Tegiwa also do, it just pulls the sensor slightly out of the flow of exhaust gases preventing the light to come on. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  19. Shoonk

My ep3 type r has a 5 speed gearbox

I would say if it is a genuine Type R, and unmodified regarding intake, exhaust etc there is most likely an issue with gearbox/ clutch. As previously said maybe one of those issues is stopping you selecting sixth gear most likely gearbox related like a selector fork or something. Potentially...
  20. Shoonk

My ep3 type r has a 5 speed gearbox

My thoughts too, could it be a Type R replica, made to look like an R but isn't, but surely that would come up on the logbook, insurance. If it is a Type R, could there be an issue where it won't select sixth gear and that's why you think it's got a 5 speed box. You can change to a 5 speed...
  21. Shoonk

Steering issue.

You could look at getting the geometry checked on a 4 wheel aligner to rule that out, Otherwise I would look at the steering rack slider. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  22. Shoonk

Engine management light

What reader is it? I have a cheapish ready which has been great on my EP3 but I had a Mini and it wouldn't show me nowt, may have to take it to a garage have them plug it in. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  23. Shoonk

Engine management light

Suppose you will have to plug a reader in and see what pops up, EML doesn't usually come on after changing the exhaust from the cat back. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  24. Shoonk

Engine management light

On which car? Is it just a cat back? I had it come up intermittently on my EP3 after a company fitted a custom cat back, when they cut off my cat heat shield they nicked the O2 sensor wire which caused the light to come on now and again. Only other time was when I changed the manifold. Sent...
  25. Shoonk

FN2 Honda FN2 08 Reg - Drive Shaft Question

No problem, my EP3 is a 2004 and apart from the usual surface rust the driveshafts are solid. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  26. Shoonk

FN2 Honda FN2 08 Reg - Drive Shaft Question

I've heard this loads of times but after 3 EP3's and knowing a few people with Type R's I have never known anyone who's driveshafts have gone on them. Maybe others can share their experiences but I don't really think driveshafts are a major weak point. Suppose it depends on what you are using...
  27. Shoonk

Hazz’s JDM 1996 Pirates Black Integra Type R

Not good at all for a company like Spoon [emoji33] Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  28. Shoonk

Timing chain & tensioner

Difficult one really, ultimately it's your decision, you can get it inspected, had mine inspected and all was good tight etc but mine has had a good life, no track days etc. If you know it's been tracked, thrashed or abused at that mileage get it done, if you know it's had an easier life than...
  29. Shoonk

FK2 The 100k mile FK2!

I think it's the same as most things, look after it, don't abuse it and it will last a long time. Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  30. Shoonk

Hot Type R fn2 brake callipers and discs

[emoji38] didn't realise that, it came up as a new post on mine never mind maybe someone will like the advice [emoji1] Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
  31. Shoonk

FK2 The 100k mile FK2!

Not an FK2 owner but Cox Motor parts are excellent, I've used them numerous times for my EP3 and even an old Jazz can't recommend them enough and even if they don't show the part on their site they are always happy to help and source what you need, top company. As for coil overs I have heard of...
  32. Shoonk

Hot Type R fn2 brake callipers and discs

You have already had new calipers fitted etc, how do the brakes feel? Did you replace the sliders with new and new rubber boots? Did you grease the sliders up well? If you have put new calipers on it will be unlikely that the caliper itself will be the issue unless you are super unlucky. It...
  33. Shoonk

Ep3 suspension refurb

You can also get hardened rubber versions, Im sure Hardrace do them, Spoon also do them now too. I suppose that could be a middle option, a little stiffer than OEM but not as stiff as the polybushes. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  34. Shoonk

Sounds fair to me, at the end of the day you've paid for a product which isn't quite upto scratch, And paying out for Spoon products you want perfection [emoji38] Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  35. Shoonk

Really bad vibration/shaking through the whole car when on the power!!

My friend had this in his wasn't going fast lucky enough and only damage to his wing, he fixed his, I caught mine just in time, it is common on the EP3's the arms seem to rust through from the top so its easy to miss as often you look under the car and the arm looks ok from the bottom. It also...
  36. Shoonk

EP3 TYPE R COSMIC GREY

Thats a shame car was looking great, inspired me to make a start cleaning mine up too Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  37. Shoonk

Suits' Cosmic EP3 - ***Oil Leak 08/09/23

Nice, you may be surprised, I got the FC Design airbox and scoop from Belgium which is pretty much the same but uses an ITG filter and the scoop is a lot bigger, covers one half of the front grille. They do sound nice not over the top, good choice in my opinion. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  38. Shoonk

Yeah they are larger but look good if you want to keep an OEM look. Your car is looking good though [emoji106] need to give mine a little TLC too. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  39. Shoonk

I've got the Legalis R on my EP3 and no issues with it hitting anything on mine, I am using the Js racing exhaust mounts though. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  40. Shoonk

Very nice [emoji106] Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  41. Shoonk

Ep3 clunking

It is a common fault on the EP3s and seems they are older cars now they just wear. The mounts and bearings just wear over time, you can push down on the wings to see if there is any movement but that doesn't always work, mine looked solid and I couldn't replicate the noise when it was...
  42. Shoonk

Ep3 clunking

I had a clunk on mine, suspension was again fine and only happened whilst driving, Changed ball joints, drop links ARB bushes track rod ends but turned out to be top mounts even though they looked fine maybe worth a look. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  43. Shoonk

Missing Vent

Front fog light cover, dont lnow the part number but you could probably pick up second hand ones from breakers or ebay etc. If you want new genuine, try Cox Motor Parts, they have helped me source parts in the past or another one is Lings Honda but I find them a bit expensive. Sent from my...
  44. Shoonk

EP3 TYPE R COSMIC GREY

Thank you maybe worth painting mine rather than buying new. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  45. Shoonk

EP3 TYPE R COSMIC GREY

Looking good, I wouldn't mind knowing if they came off and went back on easy. Also what paint did you use for them? Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  46. Shoonk

Steering wobble

I would check tyre pressures first and then look at getting the wheels balanced. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  47. Shoonk

Type r badge

It is just stuck on with an adhesive, use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive and use like a dental floss or fishing wire to get behind it a pry it off Remove the residue then, Autoglym tar and glue remover should work then make sure area is clean before popping the new one on Sent from my...
  48. Shoonk

Other FL5 - options to choose?

If you have that sort of disposable income to purchase an FL5 I say go for it! Enjoy it you only live once [emoji38] Others are concerned with you not getting ripped off and personally I think its way too expensive just like them but everyone is different and everyones circumstances are...
  49. Shoonk

EP3 Alarm Problems

Glad it helped and you got it sorted [emoji106] Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  50. Shoonk

Pad replacement for megane caliper brake kit

Cool glad you got it sorted. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  51. Shoonk

Ep3 full service

I've always used Castrol Edge 5w40 in mine with HAMP oil filter, NGK iridium plugs, I have the Spoon magnetic bolts for engine and gearbox, remember to change the washers too, I bought a load of genuine Honda ones. Gearbox oil Honda MTF3 Coolant Motul inugel the orange colour one Brake and...
  52. Shoonk

EP3 Part Identification

Yeah thats the one, I remember mine doing that and my mates on his EP3 funny enough, definitely a common fault. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  53. Shoonk

EP3 Part Identification

What car is it? Is it an EP3? Was it located under the inlet manifold? It looks like a sensor, possibly knock sensor but more info would be helpful. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  54. Shoonk

EP3 Ebay parts

Another vote for Cox, they are great and if they don't stock a part on their website just give them a bell and ask what your after and they try their best to source the part for you. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  55. Shoonk

Also rear discs OEM will be fine or Pagid, Brembo etc. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  56. Shoonk

I think they use Renault Megane pads and discs off a Nissan 350z but can't be 100% sure. Im sure there are or were some companies who sell this kit. Try Freaky Parts and Godspeed brakes I'm sure these sold them as a kit. Maybe worth contacting them. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  57. Shoonk

FK2 - Sunday car cleaning

Another option for the seats, I use Autobrite alcantara cleaner, no need to dilute just spray on and wipe with a damp cloth. Also gives really good results. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  58. Shoonk

VTEC Problem

No problem hope it gets sorted soon. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  59. Shoonk

VTEC Problem

I believe these are the sensors, you can see the blue clips. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  60. Shoonk

VTEC Problem

Yeah the knock sensor is under the inlet manifold and is a pain to get at. Im not 100 percent on the cam position sensor but I think it is on the right hand side of the engine (looking at it from the front) by the airbox. Will have a look at mine tomorrow to see if I am correct to confirm...
  61. Shoonk

VTEC Problem

Knock sensor or cam sensor maybe? I remember a mates EP3 not revving and it turned out to be the knock sensor, no codes or anything came up. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  62. Shoonk

M Factory Gearbox Oil

Double check with the warranty, Im sure some M Factory parts recommend using Torco to retain the warranty. Im not sure if this would be the case just for gearbox rebuilds using their parts or if it would include just diffs but I would imagine they would want you to use what they recommend. If...
  63. Shoonk

FL5 New Civic Type R

Remember the days where hot hatches were affordable [emoji38] if I remember the EP3 was £14k brand new, now looking at the FL5 potentially being nearly £50k.... Madness. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  64. Shoonk

Recommendatio for discs + pads + brake lines for EP3

I've used RPB lines and have had no problems and have always used Motul RBF600 fluid again no issues. For discs again I have used RPB grooved discs which I found really good but running plain discs on the back now Pagid ones which also seem good. Pads I have used EBC Redstuff and got on with...
  65. Shoonk

Other New Honda Civic Type R ride review

They are not giving much away at the moment are they [emoji38], I do really like the look of this one though. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  66. Shoonk

Vitka's left hand drive NHB EP3

Glad all is ok with it. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  67. Shoonk

[emoji38] got too excited putting it back together. Glad its sorted and running again, you done a good job and it always feels better once you put the effort in and done it yourself [emoji106]. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  68. Shoonk

EP3 TYPE R COSMIC GREY

Fair play good job that. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  69. Shoonk

Good work there, hope all goes well with the assembly, you will be driving it soon again Im sure. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  70. Shoonk

EP3 TYPE R COSMIC GREY

Looking good, I remember painting mine in the wrinkle red, hard to get perfect but does look way better. Is that a new inlet manifold or did you clean it up? Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  71. Shoonk

EP3 Interior screws

Could try Cox Motor Parts, they may be able to help, they are my first go to for OEM items that I can't find elsewhere. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  72. Shoonk

EP3 Alarm Problems

No problem, glad its sorted. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  73. Shoonk

EP3 Alarm Problems

It done my head in for a while [emoji38] but yeah mine wouldnt look at all with the fobs only with the keys and then would set the alarm off. If you can get one second hand may be worth a try to rule it out, bit of a potch to get to but seems it locks with the fob Im not sure what it could be...
  74. Shoonk

Ep3 Decat/cat suggestions

Wow not realizing there was already a decat fitted, most people especially garages should know that [emoji38] Congrats on the purchase, I think Japspeed did have a quality issue at some point I heard but they seem to have sorted it all now and quality has vastly improved. Next thing to check...
  75. Shoonk

FK2 Gearbox oil change

Very informative, thanks for that Fk2Fred. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  76. Shoonk

FK2 Gearbox oil change

Wow every 75000 miles for a gearbox oil change, wasnt an EP3 every 20000 miles? I change the oil in my EP3 every other service so 2 years although I dont use it much now so I could increase the interval time. I found doing it more regularly helps keep the gear change really smooth, in my...
  77. Shoonk

FK2 Gearbox oil change

Ha ha my bad [emoji38] Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  78. Shoonk

FK2 Gearbox oil change

I assume you mean an FK2 Type R as thats what your avatar is. Will be different for EP3, FN2 etc. Info off Dream automotive is 2.2-2.6L required for full gearbox service. The later is from dry. So 3 bottles of MTF should do it as it comes in litre bottles iirc. I've always used genuine Honda...
  79. Shoonk

No problem [emoji38] Im the same I like my cars to be the best I can get them and I am also impatient Keep us updated, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here if you need advice/help [emoji106] Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  80. Shoonk

This is a link to the Tegiwa race cat downpipe that should fit the standard header https://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/ep/exhaust/tegiwa-race-cat-downpipe-honda-civic-ep3-type-r.html Link to the Japspeed...
  81. Shoonk

Congrats on the purchase, yeah it can get expensive [emoji38], I've just bought oil, oil filter, discs and pads all round and that alone was like £500 plus I need 4 tyres too so that will take it closer to a grand, I service and do the brakes etc myself though so I save on labour costs and its...
  82. Shoonk

Depends if you just want to change the cat or do the header too. If its a UK spec EP3 you can buy just the downpipe and cat or decat pipe from Japspeed or Tegiwa do them now too. A SARD brand cat Im sure is only for a JDM spec EP3 which uses the same set up as a DC5 header and cat. The UK spec...
  83. Shoonk

04 type r

Maybe try a different garage for a second opinion. Any mods on the car? Next I would look at a compression test and go from there. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  84. Shoonk

04 type r

I would take it back to whoever changed the timing chain and get them to check it again, Seems its been happening since that, they may have retarded the timing too much. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  85. Shoonk

04 type r

What do you mean by plugs gone? Are they wet, eg covered in oil etc? Have a read through this, may shed some light: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/12/20/reading-101-how-to-read-your-spark-plugs/ Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  86. Shoonk

Trouble Pairing Keys

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/ep3-alarm-problems.79388/&share_tid=79388&share_fid=6694&share_type=t&link_source=app Have a look here, I posted a little how to. Hope you sort it as Im well aware its a right PITA . Sent from my...
  87. Shoonk

Trouble Pairing Keys

I had exactly the same issue, you will need a new keyless entry unit. I tried everything and in the end had to bite the bullet and source a unit. Managed to get one second hand for £40 fitted and done the key procedure and it worked. If you have two fobs both will need to be in the car when you...
  88. Shoonk

EP3 Alarm Problems

Just to put this to bed, if you have the same issue or similar issues to what I have had the problem will be the Keyless Entry Unit/ Receiver. Still not sure what caused it to fail but it had, I'm not sure if there was a problem with it before my ownership as the part had some marker pen marks...
  89. Shoonk

FN2 '09 full re spray

Yeah its Vale Accident Repair Centre in Ebbw Vale, I had my wheels refurbed by a company in Merthyr Tydfil called NL Powdercoating. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  90. Shoonk

FN2 '09 full re spray

Wow thats expensive, as a comparison here in South Wales a local company to me would charge £1000 for a full respray on an EP3 bit extra for new badges dents etc but no more than £2000 if you wanted it like it came out of the factory and alloys done. Owner used to own a turbo EP3 and his work is...
  91. Shoonk

EP3 New Tyre Advice - Kumho's

These have replaced the KU39's. I have ran the KU39s on my EP3 for a number of years now and for the price they are excellent in my opinion. Great all round tyre, they have done everything I have asked of them. There are better tyres out there but everyone has their own budget. Only criticism...
  92. Shoonk

sunroof!!

So sorry my parents sold the car a few years ago now, they now have a Jazz so I dont have a picture but if you google it you should find plenty of pictures. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  93. Shoonk

MOT Friendly Setup

Changing the b pipe will be fine for the MOT. Some testers can be picky if its excessively loud and give an advisory but not many do. The only issues you will have come MOT time is if you decat it or change the exhaust manifold for a 421 race manifold which will do away with the cat as you need...
  94. Shoonk

Difficult to enjoy a Type-R on UK roads...

It's for the best lol. Mine is semi retired just use it now and again, on the weekends etc when I fancy a blast. Mostly rocking up in the jazz now, aka the blue bomber lol. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  95. Shoonk

Difficult to enjoy a Type-R on UK roads...

Here in Wales is the same, roads are terrible it's a shame because there are some great driving roads here. My mate just twisted a wishbone on his EP3, the hole knocked his wheel out loads so on his way to re align it the wishbone snapped. Absolutely shocking.
  96. Shoonk

Newby!

Looks good, welcome along.
  97. Shoonk

Skunk2 DIC's fitted, seems very noisy

Shouldnt sound that bad although some cams can be noisy. EML is Engine Management Light, have you plugged in a code reader? It may shed some light. Valve clearances have to be done on a stone cold engine to get the tolerances right. I have heard Skunk cams are harsh and usually need valve...
  98. Shoonk

2006 EP3 Type R - Steering Lock

Hardly anything, little to the left or right, you will hear a click and its locked, probably talking an inch or two either way. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
  99. Shoonk

2006 EP3 Type R - Steering Lock

The steering doesnt lock just by taking the key out, you have to turn the wheel slightly.
  100. Shoonk

4-2-1 manifold with a cat instead of flexi?

It'll be good to keep us posted, it may turn into an option for other EP3 owners. Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
Back