• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. GT3

FK8 Fk8 current values

Ended up selling mine for about £2k more than I paid for it brand new. Took it to We Buy Any Car - they knocked off £1k for stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet. Entering the same damage online beforehand only knocked off £650. Ended up selling to a local dealer for slightly more. It's...
  2. GT3

FK8 Fk8 current values

Mine is now worth more than I paid for it brand new, 2.5 years and 12k miles ago. Instant sale via We Buy Any Car. Wasn't considering selling at all, but it really is tempting!
  3. GT3

FK8 FK8 Oil?

I was also surprised, and a little miffed given their service prices (hence looking at an independent this year). How do you order through the forum to get a discount?
  4. GT3

FK8 FK8 Oil?

Any more thoughts on this? Mine came with 0W20 new, then was changed to Shell Helix 5W30 by my Honda dealer at its first year service. I'm thinking about getting it serviced independently this year and going back to Honda 0W20, but wonder if a thicker oil will be better for track work.
  5. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

This is true :lol: Standard Contis
  6. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

We also have a crash bar right behind the bumper in that position sadly :(
  7. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

The photographer there on the day was brilliant. Vids here (dry) and here (wet) for anyone interested!
  8. GT3

EP3 Clutch delay valve removal?

Agreed I also have occasional issues shifting into 4th on track, or prolonged fast road drives. No issues with any other gears or during normal driving - it only seems to be when the car is very hot. Gearbox oil with a higher hot viscosity is a good suggestion, I know some in the US have...
  9. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

So I did a track day at Donington this week. It was only 13 degrees C, but I was pushing the car hard and the temperature gauge didn't move at all. I seem to recall it increasing on cooler days rather than staying exactly the same, but I won't know for sure until I test it on a warmer day. In...
  10. GT3

FK8 FN2 to FK8 advice

I had an FN2 for 2 years and thought it was an absolutely brilliant car. It was my daily drive, track car and road tripper - many miles covered and great memories made, I still miss it to be honest. I also thought the design was way ahead of its time: That being said, I bought a new FK8...
  11. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

Sorry for the delay, I fitted this a few weeks ago but didn't get the chance to jump on here and talk about it. Fitment went well in the end, but it's not for the faint of heart. Main challenges: - Getting the bumper off wasn't easy. I initially tried to do it without lifting the car at all...
  12. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

So I've gone ahead and ordered the following two parts from Cox Motor Parts: 71121-TGH-A51 - 2020 Front Grille 75701-TGH-A01 - 2017 Rear 'H' Badge (smaller badge - carryover part and fits the new grille) £163 for both including VAT and delivery. They came back with those part numbers without...
  13. GT3

EP3 2020 grille

Is this definitely the right part number? It looks like the US version without holes for the parking sensors to me.
  14. GT3

FK8 Shift down icon

Yep, I'm always rolling around in 6th wherener there's almost no throttle required. It's the main reason DSG gets better fuel economy on paper. Most manuals don't end up in the higher gears around town!
  15. GT3

FK8 Shift down icon

Only seems to come on below 1000rpm for me.
  16. GT3

FK8 Front brake discs - Brembo replacements

Hmm. Mine are a little dirty, but not corroded. Not at all. The most difficult part was undoing the brake caliper bolts. They have near enough the same torque specs as wheel nuts, so with very limited space in the wheel arches it's difficult to get enough leverage to undo them.
  17. GT3

I fitted these today. They look higher quality than OEM in my opinion! Fit was perfect, any areas that'll corrode are painted in a dark grey colour, and visually they look like they have a higher carbon content.
  18. GT3

FK8 GoPro camera mount setup

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105244-FK8-taking-scalps&p=1403775&viewfull=1#post1403775 Here's a link to some Spa footage using that set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSptSpQCCQ4
  19. GT3

Tell me about it :smt004 I also couldn't agree more. Tried DS2500s on my MX5, binned them after one track day!
  20. GT3

FK8 Rear Number Plate Bolts

Damn. Yeah I bet, the plinth is massive!
  21. GT3

How did you remove the front plate plinth? Looked like it was bolted on to me.
  22. GT3

My FN2 had one of those. I want one now!
  23. GT3

FK8 Anyone running 255/30R20 or 255/35R20 tyres on the standard rims?

I have 245/35/20 Continentals Sport Contact 6's on mine. They feel fantastic on track and even better on the road, and are cheaper than OEM sizes, too. Michelins have softer sidewalls so may make the car feel a little more 'floaty'. If you only use your car on the road that might not bother you...
  24. GT3

What did you use to stick the plate on? My rear plate hasn't fallen off after 8000 fast miles in all sorts of conditions. It's only stuck on using two generic number plate sticky pads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FEPITO-Number-Sticky-Double-License/dp/B07DKBGPGY You just need to make sure both...
  25. GT3

Impossible to answer here really! Doing track days I've gone through a set of pads every 4000 miles, and of course two front discs at 8000 miles. If you do motorway mileage only and barely touch the brakes, the same items could last you 50,000 miles. You can visually check the pad...
  26. GT3

I lost track of this thread. I had mine delivered to Kent where my car is, but I'm currently on lockdown in London, so haven't seen them yet! Glad to see they're as pictured - should stand up to corrosion better than the OEM Honda parts. Bargain!
  27. GT3

These Brembo discs are painted black in the centre and around the edges. OEM discs are painted silver in the centre and unpainted around the edges (hence the corrosion), so must be slightly different. If course, the calipers and pads have Brembo written on them.
  28. GT3

Honda quoted me £375! Currently on sale at Cox Motor Parts for £271: https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-type-r-fk8-front-brake-discs-2017-onwards/
  29. GT3

It's time to replace my front brake discs, it looks like they've got a little hot on track. A couple of shots from my recent service: Thought I'd draw your attention to what appears to be an absolute bargain at Euro Car Parts right now. 2x Brembo front discs like these, currently...
  30. GT3

FK8 Anyone tuned their FK8?

https://www.superchips.co.uk/s/warranty - not worth the paper it's written on. "No sum in respect of economic or consequential loss is payable" If having to pay out for an engine repair doesn't constitute economic loss, I don't know what does.
  31. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

It is pretty crazy. At Spa I was hitting over 130mph down the main straight, that dropped to <125 when the coolant temp warning light was on. The facelift FK8 has a slightly larger upper grille opening at the front, but it still blocks off almost half the potential opening. It's not large...
  32. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

I'd love to, don't quite have the money for it yet though!
  33. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

I quite like having a busier track - means there's more competition!
  34. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

The FK2 front grille does seem to have much larger inlets. The largest opening on the FK8 front bumper is the lower grille, and the intercooler takes up that opening completely. That leaves the thin upper opening to feed the entire radiator cool air, which doesn't seem like much at all.
  35. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Agreed, I've never tried standard pads but with Pagid RS29 pads (standard everything else, including fluid) I've never had any issues on track. In fact I'd say they feel no less confidence inspiring than my dad's 996 GT3 on track, which has massive brakes, Castrol SRF fluid and proper cooling on...
  36. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Blimey, those calipers are ruined! I did look into titanium brake pad shims a while ago, but I'm not convinced they would cure the issue. They would delay the transfer of heat for sure, but they're just another heat sink, so after a few laps they'll be up to the same temperature as the rest of...
  37. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

A few minutes, maybe 5 or so.
  38. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

As an aside, does anyone else have issues with the caliper paint after track work? My Brembo lettering is now yellow.
  39. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Agreed about quality, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that. I guess I'd just have to take the risk on it - in my experience the stuff coming out of China these days is pretty good.
  40. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Is anyone else interested in getting one of these grilles for their FK8? As shown here: https://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/pro-design-honeycomb-performance-mesh-grille.html They're about £230 delivered from America, and don't have the cutouts for our front parking sensors. I'm looking at...
  41. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

I bought a small metal pole from B&Q, cut it to size and cable tied it to the rear roof handles. The camera mount is a Manfrotto super clamp, but I don't think they sell them with the extension any more. Something like this would do, though: https://amzn.to/2pz1EPL
  42. GT3

FK8 A few questions... Differences? Or am i stupid?

Correct. I'm wondering if there's a way to turn off 'auto' mode on one click down, so that it becomes a normal manual intermittent setting.
  43. GT3

FK8 A few questions... Differences? Or am i stupid?

On this topic, does anyone know if you can turn off the 'auto' wiper function? I end up adjusting them more than if they were just manual.
  44. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Definitely do, I'd love to go back there again. First part is flat, second part needs a lift - you're going in at 130mph (my speedo shows GPS speed due to bigger tyres, that'd be closer to 140 on a normal speedo!)
  45. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Some slightly scrappier driving from earlier in the day, when I was still learning the track. The yellow GT4 was flashing me to move on the straight at the start. We then pulled about 10 car lengths on him through the twisty sections :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbDkkBp6eGU
  46. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Haha nice. How easy was it to remove? I've heard it's bolted on from the back. I'm looking to remove the plate and holder, and replace it with a smaller stick-on front plate! But I think there will be a couple of bolt holes I'll need to fill in.
  47. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

No worries. That's also far higher than I've ever ran a set of tyres on track - I was just trying to avoid the sidewalls folding over. I was also expecting them to feel slippery after a few laps, but they felt good! That's in 245/35/20 size which is definitely cheaper than 245/30/20. I bought...
  48. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Spa was absolutely amazing, even better than expected. I'd highly recommend it! Regarding tyres, there were loads of factors that lead me to purchase the SC6's. Main considerations for me were the combination of wet and dry braking/handling, as well as the sidewall stiffness that affects how...
  49. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Some footage from Spa this weekend. I'm back on Continental SC6, in 245/35/20 size. I was very impressed with them, actually! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSptSpQCCQ4
  50. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Taking a look at the facelift, the upper grille is definitely a different shape and more open. The current gen seems to curve downwards is tight to the Type R badge, whereas the new one is straight and there's more of a gap above the badge. There also seems to be a couple of new openings in the...
  51. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

I turned AC off after the first session. I later left the windows open a little and had hot air blowing through the vents, to try and evacuate some of the heat from the engine bay. It seemed to help a little!
  52. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

Thank you both. Good to know it's not an issue with my car, but also annoying that it affects them all so isn't an easy fix! @Arcam have you made any mods to help keep things cool? I did a bit of reading and it partly seems to be an airflow issue to the radiator - lots of people in the US run...
  53. GT3

FK8 FK8 overheating

I took my FK8 to Spa this weekend, it was an absolutely epic track day and the car performed amazingly. The only problem was with overheating - the coolant temperature warning light would come on after 10 mins of hard track use. The car would then have reduced power until it cooled down...
  54. GT3

Spa Track Day - 13th October

Cheers, I'm really looking forward to it. Nice vid - fair play for getting it welded up and back out on track :)
  55. GT3

FK8 Paint cracking & rust rear quarters

Had a look earlier and my 2019 also has these small strips. I'm sure I've seen cars in the US with these strips also cracking though! How are yours both holding up?
  56. GT3

Spa Track Day - 13th October

I'm heading to Spa on 13th October. Currently convoying out there with a 996 GT3, anyone else fancy it? https://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackdays/Upcoming-Events/Spa_Francorchamps_13th_October
  57. GT3

FK8 FK8 as a Daily (High Mileage) Driver??

1600 miles a month is good going! I'm planning to take mine to Europe soon, looking forward to seeing how it performs.
  58. GT3

FK8 Corroded OEM wheel nuts and alternative options?

This page explains it much better than I can! https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25683452/smaller-lighter-wheels-hurt-handling/ Makes sense that it's nicer to drive on the road with winters. I've been thinking of getting another set of wheels recently.
  59. GT3

Just be careful with the offset and widths if you do decide to go with 18 inch wheels. It's pretty easy to spoil Honda's engineering work and end up with much more torque steer, just from a wheel change! I know the FK2 19 inch wheels have a pretty much identical offset and width.
  60. GT3

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-type-r-fk8-black-wheel-lock-nuts-2017/ https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-type-r-black-wheel-nuts-2017/
  61. GT3

Mine are starting to show signs... 6 months and 4k miles. Black edition wheel nuts? Presumably they've got some sort of coating on them so would be more resistant to corrosion. £180 though :smt078
  62. GT3

FK8 FK8 ordered

:lol::lol::lol:
  63. GT3

FK8 FK8 speaker upgrade

Bass +4 Mid +6 (max) Treble 0 (neutral) It still lacks punch for some of the very low bass frequencies, but I think it's fine for 99% of songs. The quality's actually pretty good for an OE setup!
  64. GT3

FK8 Braided Brake Lines.?

https://youtu.be/6LJiPDAr9f8 I'd much sooner have OEM brake lines that have been tested in extreme conditions for tens of thousands of miles, than an aftermarket set that have been tested for a few weeks on one car (probably) then pushed to market...
  65. GT3

FK8 FK8 as a Daily (High Mileage) Driver??

It's a great motorway cruiser - I get over >45mpg average if sticking to 70mph. The 245/35/20 tyre size is a little cheaper, which will give you a little more sidewall and could be an option once they need replacing.
  66. GT3

FK8 FK8 ordered

I've used Tegiwa for some smaller items before - don't remember having any issues with them!
  67. GT3

FK8 Braided Brake Lines.?

Why are you looking to upgrade, out of interest? Braided lines don't have much benefit over OEM (IMO).
  68. GT3

FK8 FK8 speaker upgrade

I'm a bit of an audiophile and think it sounds okay after playing around with the settings. I'll take another look to see how I've set them, but I'm pretty sure I have the bass on max, the mid range turned up half way and treble on neutral.
  69. GT3

FK8 2019 FK8 Infotainment System

As above, 2019 volume knob is US only. You'll get used to it!
  70. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

I'd like to return there when it's dry again, or alternatively in the wet with some Goodyear Supersports or Michelin PS4S! It is a great track.
  71. GT3

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

Might be of interest - I have four as-new Continentals with about 100 miles on them sitting in my garage. I drove the car home from the showroom and immediately replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. I'm located in London and have pics of the tyres with tread depths - PM if interested!
  72. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

That's a very wet day! I had them at Anglesey in about 10C and damp, here's a vid of us chasing down a Lotus Exige race car. Plenty of lift off oversteer after the first lap! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3JkNMW5e0
  73. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

It is a good idea and something I've thought about doing it before. I think the thing that holds me back is that I like having a car that's great all round - if I take it on a road trip, I won't be taking another set of wheels and tyres with me. I'm actually thinking about replacing them with a...
  74. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

It's more of a weekend car, although I do use it in all weathers (the London Underground is my daily). I'm thinking about replacing them with Michelin PS4S when they're spent. The PSC2 have a lot of compromises for that little bit of extra dry grip - 2mm less tread from new, more expensive to...
  75. GT3

FK8 Brake swaying/wobble

I can see where you're coming from. In practice it'd be road surface imperfections or cambers making bushes on one side flex more than the other. The effect of those imperfections compressing the wheels and changing the toe/camber slightly, giving one tyre a bit more grip for a few...
  76. GT3

FK8 Brake swaying/wobble

Okay, I've just got pretty geeky with this and calculated the weight transfer between front and rear. Based on a 61/39 static weight balance, the centre of gravity being 40% of the total height, a friction coefficient of 1.15 for the standard tyres, here's the load split under maximum braking...
  77. GT3

FK8 Hot weather and boost pressure observations

Interesting, I'm trying to figure out whether to replace my Sport Cup 2s with PS4S when they wear out, to regain some wet weather ability.
  78. GT3

FK8 Brake swaying/wobble

The same used to happen on my FN2 CTR until I fitted quite an aggressive LSD. The LSD in the FK8 feels relatively tame and smooth, probably doesn't help keep the front wheels' speeds the same under braking.
  79. GT3

VW ran their GTI Clubsport S Nurburgring lap while it was 8 degrees celsius apparently. They cited that temperature as 'optimal' for a lap record!
  80. GT3

How do you find PS4S compared to the Contis in terms of steering response and feel? I understand they have a much softer sidewall.
  81. GT3

FK8 Brake swaying/wobble

Normal I'd say. The rear end on mine is quite loose under high speed braking. My theory is that it pulls so much g under braking, that the rear tyres are probably barely touching the ground. Throw a cambered road in and it'll move around a little.
  82. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Must admit I did have a panic search through my viewing history when you said that!
  83. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Haha, didn't realise that was public. Very FK8 focused!
  84. GT3

FK8 FK8 taking scalps...

Thought I'd create a thread to park the videos I get from various track days. I did a Brands Hatch evening earlier this week which was good fun. Highlights include a McLaren 570S, BMW M140i and M3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEXReSwZJI It was 30 degrees C at 60% humidity - the...
  85. GT3

FK8 Goodwood FoS...

Great video, he's a brilliant driver. I quite like them, it's something different. Similar to the Type R - looks pretty wild compared to most other things in it's class.
  86. GT3

FK8 Rev limiter before 7K?

For what it's worth, I've never experienced a power drop off at 6.5k. Mine always pulls hard to the 7k redline. Are you sure traction control isn't cutting in?
  87. GT3

FK8 Anyone running 255/30R20 or 255/35R20 tyres on the standard rims?

OEM Contis seem to have a stiff sidewall, but they're angled slightly meaning they fold over very easily, both during cornering and when you hit potholes. I don't think you need to increase the width to protect the rim. I'm running 245/30/20 Pilot Sport Cup 2's, and they seem to protect the rim...
  88. GT3

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

FYI, the MY2019 update with the volume knob is for LHD cars only. UK market didn't get the update. I asked many dealers about this before purchasing. Mine is also a 2019 car and doesn't have the volume knob!
  89. GT3

New tyres

The Contis I took off have the rim protection lip. The Michelins that replaced them do not!
  90. GT3

New tyres

I didn't change the wheels. I've tried the Continentals on a friend's FK2 on track - we ended up scrubbing off all the lettering on the sidewalls. Felt pointless to destroy a set of Conti's on track when the Michelins would probably last twice as long! More economical to get them off straight...
  91. GT3

FK8 Brakes

They're brand new in that pic. I've driven about 2k miles over the last 4 weeks, so will get a tread depth measurement. I felt no need for any other mods on the last track day. The only weak point of the car seems to be traction - I was getting wheelspin at almost 70mph when it was very wet...
  92. GT3

New tyres

I swapped the tyres over from new on mine. Now running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's which have been fantastic for road and track. I recently did a 1000 mile road trip in Wales, through extremely wet and rainy weather. They were brilliant - when the tread depth gets low you'd need to be careful...
  93. GT3

FK8 Couple of niggles with FK8 Type R

Mine had both these issues from new. The front parking sensor very occasionally seems to think there's something right in front of the car, it's only happened twice in 2k miles though and hasn't really bothered me. The tyre pressure warning used to go off all the time, but seems to have settled...
  94. GT3

FK8 FK8 towing eye?

As above, there's a towing eye provided in a small bag in the boot. It's tucked away in a compartment on the left hand side of the boot. You can pull the small panel off at the rear by hand, it does need a strong pull though! Pushing it downwards and out works best.
  95. GT3

FK8 Brakes

Pagid RSL29 pads for me - they stood up very well at a recent Anglesey track day. The brake squeal was unbearable before I bedded them in - louder than anything else I've heard. What felt like a hard bedding-in session on the road wasn't enough, only after the first session on track they were...
  96. GT3

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

I went for Sonic Grey in the end :) One thing I can't believe is how rare these cars are. I only recall ever seeing one in person on the road - yes, one! Saw about 10 Golf R's on the journey home alone though :lol:
  97. GT3

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

Well, after some very deep digging I have the following info: Facelift CTR is to be announced in Q3 2019 for the US, and will hit the UK around Q1/Q2 2020. Two separate unrelated sources gave me the same info. That was too far away for me, so I ordered a new CTR pretty much straight after...
  98. GT3

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

Anyone heard anything more about a UK update?
  99. GT3

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

Agreed - they look fairly subtle to me. Slightly larger centre grille, possibly to address cooling concerns in the US, and some vanes on the side vents for styling. The rest is exactly the same. Hopefully there are some changes under the skin that address gear change and cooling issues. Some...
  100. GT3

FK8 CTR 2019 talk

We were 3 months behind the US on release, so it's likely to be the same for mid-cycle updates. I think we'll see the 2019 model year updates on UK cars built from February 2019 - the US update landed on Nov 2018. Same for the facelift. It's likely to be June 2019 in the US, and Sept 2019 in...
Back