• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Ruxpin

What did you do to your Type R today?

Stelvio Quadrifoglio....as you need 500hp on the school run [emoji23] Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  2. Ruxpin

Not been using it quite as much recently but only went yesterday. There is a white 69 plate about 50m from our house, I also see a blue and red one occasionally. Still not sure I can remember seeing another Sonic Grey one on the roads Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  3. Ruxpin

Yes, I let the plate go as part of the deal. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  4. Ruxpin

So after 2.5yrs and 17k miles of fun it was time to say bye bye to the FK8 yesterday. It was our first TypeR and first Honda. Thoughts: Good Brilliant fun to drive when 'on it' Great value for performance offered Good mpg (has averaged 32.5mpg) Depreciation (or lack of) - it retained over 70%...
  5. Ruxpin

It was dark but dry when i had the wheels off, but doesn't look right. Looks like a leaking rear damper. Anyone else had to have one replaced?
  6. Ruxpin

Didn't expect to see that on a 2.5yr old 17k mile honda... Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  7. Ruxpin

FK8 Corroded OEM wheel nuts and alternative options?

humm interesting. I have the OEM 18" winter setup and was considering buying another set of the alloys or just changing tyres to try. TBH on the road i find it is a nicer car to drive on the 18" winters, quieter, much better ride, ultimate grip is clearly lower but the transition between grip...
  8. Ruxpin

Humm... Black ones would look nice, but £180 :eek: I think it will have to wait till after the cost of the first tyre change. I'm still to be convinced by the 20" wheels and what to do when the original tyres wear out. The difference in price of 2 sets of 18" vs 20" tyres pays for the 18" alloys...
  9. Ruxpin

So wheel nuts....how do other peoples look? Ours started to corrode within months and at just short of 2yrs old and c13k miles they look pretty tatty. Honda are refusing to accept a warranty claim...saying they have been damaged by cleaning products or stone chips [emoji1787] Anyone else's...
  10. Ruxpin

FK8 Hot weather and boost pressure observations

So this week in the UK we are experiencing 30C temps and it happens to be a week the wife has taken my car and i have her FK8. Yesterday when it was c30-32C the car would only peak at 1.4bar on the dash readout in 2/3/4 gears where as normally it would hit 1.6bar. This was confirmed this...
  11. Ruxpin

FK8 What did you learn about your FK8 today?

Found the annoying rattle from the rear everytime you closed the boot.....gravel trapped in the exhaust tips...seems an odd design to be open at the front to collect any gravel that is flicked up.
  12. Ruxpin

New tyres

Just changed back to the OEM 20" Contis after running the Honda winter tyre setup for 4.5months - Continental WinterContact TS 850P - 234/40 R18 95V XL. Gosh the ride and road noise is bad on the part worn Conti 20". Having got used to the plush ride on the 18" setup I now find myself driving...
  13. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter tyres

Until you drive them yourself in "winter conditions" - heavy rain, cold, greasy conditions, not just snow, you won't believe the difference. I found them incredible in my RWD BMW 335D - stability on m-ways in heavy rain was far better, much less risk of aquaplaning, and grip on snow was...
  14. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter tyres

The technician who fitted them to my car said the type R does not have a specific winter tyre setting for the TPMS. He said the system is calibrated for 18" to 20" wheels but he didn't sound too convinced himself. I haven't driven it far but so far no warning lights.
  15. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter tyres

Balancing weights are still on the inside. Clearance isn't as bad as the photos look but there isn't a huge amount of space. I thought about the FK2 wheel option but eBay wheels come with their risks plus 19" winters are going to be $$. The looks of the 18" are growing on me. I think the silver...
  16. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter tyres

Agreed...I'm waiting for the wife to kerb one to justify the refurb in black
  17. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter tyres

Package was nearly £1700, so not cheap. Alloys on their own were c£900 but cost of the same or equivalent premium brand tyres meant the package was better VFM and far less hassle. Local dealer supplied and fitted them for me - Marshalls Narborough. You can do it much cheaper with after market...
  18. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter tyres

So my OEM winter tyres arrived and were fitted yesterday despite the 15C temps we currently have in UK. They look better than I was expecting. Not much clearance around the caliper! Initial impressions, they are so quiet and the ride is so compliant compared to the normal 20" wheels and tyres...
  19. Ruxpin

New tyres

https://www.honda-welman.nl/webshop/civic-2-0-type-r-22540r-18-continental-wintercontact-winterbandenset-lichtmetaal-18-inch-horus Not great looking but they are OEM which I wanted. £1700 for alloys and tyres (Continental WinterContact TS 850P - 234/40 R18 95V XL) or £920 for the wheels only.
  20. Ruxpin

New tyres

Annoyingly MPS4s are on back order at the moment so I had to stick with contis when I needed a replacement due to a puncture last week. Word of warning to anyone who gets annoyed with false alarms from the tyre pressure warning system and ignores/resets it :rolleyes:.....I did about 4 steady...
  21. Ruxpin

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

:smt023 I like to see if i can hit 1.6bar
  22. Ruxpin

Assuming sonic grey, yes, that would have been her on the nursery/holiday club run. I've seen a red FK8 a couple of times on the B6047 near Tilton-on-the-Hill heading towards Mkt Harb in the morning but i wasn't in ours at the time :(. It's the only other one i have seen on the road in 12months.
  23. Ruxpin

1st service yesterday at 12months old and 7k ish miles. Only £15 for the loan car insurance - loving the service plan :D
  24. Ruxpin

FK8 Tyre Deflation System

Ours went off randomly a couple of weeks back. All tyres c30psi. I adjusted them to the low load above 220kph setting (why not, always handy for the school run :D). Reset the dash and it hasn't come back on. I also rotated tyres. Wow, loads more grip with nearly new rubber from the rear than...
  25. Ruxpin

FK8 3 Things you'd like to se on the Fk8 Mk2

More thoughts for facelift: * Bigger fuel tank * Smaller wheels. The 20s are a bit silly for uk roads and tyre choice is limited/expensive. 20s just seem a bit unnecessary, particularly when 18s clear the brakes. * Less/no dash rattles It's a very good car but does have a few annoyances (as do...
  26. Ruxpin

This. The one setting option would be sport steering, +R throttle and half way between comfort and sport for suspension. For my use i think that would be perfect and remove the need to fiddle with settings
  27. Ruxpin

1. Independent adjustment of dampers, steering and throttle (or just one setting that works - so old fashioned) 2. 5 seats 3. Less/no lag on the infotainment
  28. Ruxpin

FK8 First TD in FK8 - any pointers?

Great to see the car being used properly Ally and nice to finally meet you. It was a shame about the weather - rain, sleet, snow, hail, sunshine, I think you had everything! It would be really good to get a few FK8s on track - do Honda's on Track still do joint days with Lotus on Track? Over...
  29. Ruxpin

FK8 Quality issues

Rusty nuts here...
  30. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter (and snow) driving opinions

That's great thanks, I didn't realise there was an "official" option for the Type R
  31. Ruxpin

I mainly left it on the drive when there was snow so can't comment on its snow ability but it won't be good with 245 section summer tyres. FK2 alloys are £1400 here http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/fk2/wheels.html So new FK2 alloys + winters will be cheaper than the £500ea 20"...
  32. Ruxpin

I have run winters on various cars for the last 5-6yrs - all 2wd, some FWD (Abarth 500), some RWD (BMW 335D, Merc C350e). They work very effectively in standing water, slush and snow and will be far better than a 4wd car on summers. I took the 335D to the alps and never struggled even when the...
  33. Ruxpin

FK8 Quality issues

Just under 3k on our car now and I can't say I have noticed the brakes squealing in mixed driving recently so they seem to have settled down. I will have my mechanic give them the once over at some point and make sure everything is moving freely and lubricated as I if it is anything like a...
  34. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter Tyres

Looks like winter tyres for the 20" alloys aren't really an option. Just had a quote of £470ea for the Pirelli option :eek: What size tyres do the FK2 alloys take? Are they 235/35 R19?
  35. Ruxpin

FK8 Winter Tyres

I had to use the type R today as the wife was nervous of taking it in the current conditions.... she took my Michelin Aplin equipped Merc C350e and I got the mad honda.... Admittedly the roads were treacherous this morning, however, wheelspin and T/C intervention at 35mph in 5th when...
  36. Ruxpin

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

Not sure this counts but I did have to move it about 5m just in case someone came through the hedge and hit it....The diff gave a good clunk but not much wheelspin It was a day for winter tyres:
  37. Ruxpin

FK8 Who is getting a ceramic coating done and what have you paid?

Kettering Road actually. Can't say I have tried all the various places in town, I just go to the closest for convenience. Northampton Road once always seems busy though so I assume is ok.
  38. Ruxpin

FK8 Who is getting a ceramic coating done and what have you paid?

This thread makes me feel slightly guilty....now 2,600miles on the clock and its only been washed once...and that was by the local car wash
  39. Ruxpin

FK8 Traction Control / VSA / Wheel Spin (R+ Mode) - FK8

I have certainly noticed a bit of torque steer or maybe just a greater tendency to follow camber in the current wet/greasy conditions. 1st and 2nd are a bit of a no-no on the b-roads around me....3rd is still lively! It really is a cracking car. It is incredibly competent but still really...
  40. Ruxpin

FK8 Anyone getting weird results with their mileage?

My wife ran it down till the display showed 12miles. That resulted in 40.2ltr and 268miles so 30.31mpg. I have to say economy is currently not a strong point. Highest full tank average we have seen is 32.13mpg and that was the steady drive back after collecting it. It will be interesting to see...
  41. Ruxpin

FK8 Auto lights - slight irritation

Thanks for the info on how to turn auto high beam off. I have been meaning to look it up for a while. I too have found it too slow to go to dip beam and have been flashed a few times by other drivers.
  42. Ruxpin

Put a knob warmer on today....
  43. Ruxpin

FK8 Booooost!

I too would be interested to know how boost is managed. Does it have "overboost" for a short period? Does it operate on mass air flow and vary boost to meet the required air flow figures? I have noticed up to 1.6bar according to the dash display and it seems to hold this rather than just be an...
  44. Ruxpin

FK8 Quality issues

Yes I noticed something similar on ours yesterday. Clunk on right lock going down hill out of drive and clunk on left lock going up hill onto drive. I thought it might be the diff.
  45. Ruxpin

Brilliant, thank you. The wife was about in tears on Saturday after damaging it.
  46. Ruxpin

:cry: didn't take long..... Looks worse than it is, thankfully not too deep. If I have a full refurb it is only likely to happen again....any recommendations for a repair kit to tidy it up?
  47. Ruxpin

FK8 Quality issues

This - when you are loading the boot particularly if dropping the seats it is so much easier and quicker without having to remove a parcel shelf and store it somewhere. I think it is a really good design solution.
  48. Ruxpin

Looks great in CW. The FK8/elise combo is where it is at :D. Am I the only one to "come out" on SELOC though! Someone else U2U'd me on Sunday about getting one...
  49. Ruxpin

FK8 Quality issues

Oh yeah. It is terrible, even worse than an elise!!
  50. Ruxpin

Very likely as that is near us and I've still to see another fk8 type-r on the roads. If it was being driven like it was stolen i'll congratulate the wife :smt038
  51. Ruxpin

Filled it up with fuel for the wife, again.... the small tank and 27-32mpg is a bit annoying I hadn't driven it for a week - it really does go well and b-road composure is impressive
  52. Ruxpin

FK8 Quality issues

I have seen the transmission issues online. Are they all USA cars? Has anyone in the UK had a transmission issue? Our car is now on c1700miles without issue. (we get an occasional slight squeal from the brakes and sometimes a couple of dash rattles at certain rpm which i think is the front...
  53. Ruxpin

Does the manual have a bedding in procedure for the pads (I have to admit i haven't bothered to read it..) Ours squeal a little on light application but in my experience of lotus brakes with pagid high performance pads they generally squeal for 1 or more of the follow (1) if not fitted with a...
  54. Ruxpin

No gearbox or revmatch issues with ours at c1,300miles - no issues at all with the car. The brakes sometimes squeal with light application - they just need using properly!
  55. Ruxpin

I was pleasantly surprised by the insurance costs of the FK8 - pretty much the same as a £7k 10yr old BMW 335d!
  56. Ruxpin

We are in Mkt Harb. Not seen the red one around, will keep a look out for it. Ours makes regular trips to Corby for v-power! I also saw new NSX last week in white - looked lovely, very compact.
  57. Ruxpin

1000miles on our car now. I'm still very impressed. Stand out pros: Ride and composure on b-roads. It feels so sure footed at speed. Brake feel. The pedal feel is brilliant. Other than the unassisted S1 Elise/340r the best I have experienced Practicality Traction and lack of torque steer. The...
  58. Ruxpin

212milesand 25mpg last tank (showing 35miles left) On the drive back from Llandudno the trip computer was showing 39mpg....not sure it will again!
  59. Ruxpin

I checked the digital speedo in ours. It over reads by about 5% so roughly 30.5=32, 60=63, 70=74 (GPS=speedo). Hummm....I expected it to be more. It is deceptively fast...be careful. 3rd fill up tonight now on 770miles. Last tank averaged 25mpg...oops!
  60. Ruxpin

I wouldn't be able to wait....
  61. Ruxpin

I seem to be going c10mph faster everywhere according to the speedo....if its accurate I need to be very careful! It's also then a very fast car!
  62. Ruxpin

Has anyone checked the digital speedo in their FK8 against a GPS? If it is accurate accurate the car hides speed very well....its "happy" speed seems about 10mph above other cars on any given road....:shock:
  63. Ruxpin

I will have to take a better look/photo of our car. In the cropped photo above it doesn't show any detail in the rear door which I believe is there. See this CW photo which shows it clearer. I agree it isn't the nicest detail but not sure a bulky box out addition to the door would be any better??
  64. Ruxpin

Ditto. It's only 20mins from me, yet never done a day there. I have been meaning to do one this year to practice as I am sprinting there on 22 October with Lotus Cup UK Speed Championship in the elise.
  65. Ruxpin

Rev match makes sense on the road and it works very well - I am very impressed with it. I find heel and toe harder with gentle braking so rev match certainly helps smooth things in normal road driving. I was at Silverstone with Porsche Experience yesterday morning. They thought I was mad to...
  66. Ruxpin

Excellent, looked a lot of fun, thanks for that. Did you do the trackday evening after at Rockingham? I popped over late in the FK8 as a few friends were running their elises - saw a few civics heading home. I hope the gearbox loosens up a little. I remember the FK2 I drove for 10miles or so...
  67. Ruxpin

I can't find your video but would be keen to know your thoughts. 600miles in on ours and it feels like it would be fun on track, if a little heavy. How do the front tyres stand up to the track work? Brake feel is lovely, good suspension setup and the motor just loves to rev. It's too quick...
  68. Ruxpin

People loved the colour - so much so, one chap is considering re-spraying his lotus in it! It is very flat in the shade but the pearl really comes out in the bright sun. The car got a lot of attention. I parked it out of the way in the paddock but plenty of people were taking photos and asking...
  69. Ruxpin

Collection from Llandudno At Brands Hatch on Saturday Makes a great support vehicle...(wife was not very happy when I put the spare wheels in her 1 day 200mile old car....!!)
  70. Ruxpin

Service schedule is 12months or 12,500miles - no talk of an early first one. 450miles on ours now. I opened it up a little yesterday - feels like it has serious potential. Engine is lovely, no huge torque slug to unsettle the car like some modern turbos (certainly my experience of M135 and F11...
  71. Ruxpin

We were told no official running in period but advised to take it easy for 600miles. 400 done in 2 days so nearly there...
  72. Ruxpin

We collected my wife's today. A bit of a trek at 180miles e/w to Llandudno but the weather was great so we took the 340R. Fantastic service from North Wales Honda and a great car. I was allowed a little play this evening - very impressed. I'm off to Brands Hatch in it tomorrow so another...
  73. Ruxpin

Good to see a few others are turning up. My wife's car arrived at the dealer today. Assuming all goes to plan we will collect it Friday - 6-7hr round trip! At least it will be run in when we get home!
  74. Ruxpin

FK8 Deposit down!

That is a "monza" sports exhaust. Sounds great (but looks rubbish imo). Think that is a A595, one of the numerous variations they have done. All basically the same with a different map to give 135-180bhp (180bhp might have a bigger turbo)
  75. Ruxpin

FK8 Deposit down!

My wife ran a standard Abarth 500 for 6.5yrs and c40k miles. For a 4cyl turbo they sound great, almost an air cooled noise at tickover with a few pops and bangs at gearchange if you came off the throttle at full boost and the right rpm (not the engineered bangs most modern stuff now seems to...
  76. Ruxpin

FK8 Deposit down!

I think they look great in Sonic Grey, thanks for the pics. Quite similar to the wife's previous Campovolgo Grey Abarth 500 which she still hasn't forgiven me for selling! The dealership was mildly horrified when I called it the "flat grey colour"
  77. Ruxpin

FK8 Deposit down!

After a brief test drive in a Black Edition FK2 Type R my wife put a deposit down in early June for a FK8, GT, Sonic Grey. Hopefully only a few more weeks to wait now.
Back