• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Battery Terminals. OMG FFS.

Suits

First to flounce
Right I'm super pi$$ed, I'm a mushroom cloud laying mother at the minute.

I will explain, quickly.

I have a JDM S2000, I needed a new battery, I ordered one, wrong one was sent, tried to explain they had made a mistake, they wouldn't have it, whatever, I pay extra to exchange the battery for the correct one which I tried to order originally.

Being JDM their batteries have smaller terminals than our ones, so you need a JDM style battery.

Worlds most expensive battery arrives, terminals are too small. I must have medium sized terminal connectors or something. WTF.

bat2.jpg

When measured, it appears that the original JDM battery has a + diameter of 17mm and a -15 the new battery has a +15 and -13

The cars terminal clasps wont fit around the new battery terminals even if they are fully closed they're too loose.

My question is, are there cuffs or something available that I can fit over the smaller terminals to make the clasps fit??

Or am I still screwed ???

Nick, can you not ask an auto electrician to mate a pair of suitable terminal clamps to your existing Pos/Neg leads?

How about cut off the JDM clasps off the cables and fit UKDM ones, it'll save a lot of hassle in the future....

Neily unt Karlos - Yeah, thats what I'm thinking, however, the cables are short enough as it is, so cutting would be a problem, It may have to be prised off and replaced that way.

That isnt my problem however, my terminals are too small to take UK clasps, so UK fixings won't do it, I need something to make them bigger or my clasps smaller.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

On my Beat I had some bits of metal that fitted inside the clasps to fill the gap onto the terminals. Dunno what they are made from and were on the car when I got it, so never had to bother with what you are going through.

I had this problem when I bought my battery from halfords, the chap just took the collars off another battery and put it on mine.

Have you any engineering mates that could turn some tapered collets up to fit the terminals?

You could use some 1mm thick lead sheet and cut and wrap around the terminals, this will also help keep the correct taper for the terminal clamps.

Plumbers lead, B&Q.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griff - I knew you'd have a solution of some sort :D .

Chris - Chris, it was about £60 for the correct battery, from accompany called Tayna batteries, I'll never speak ti them ever again, but they serve Ross really well.

I've managed to source a pair of collars so I'm off to go and collect now !!!

the problem with tayna is they're taffs suits. being at one with welshies means i never have trouble when buying the cheapest batteries in the world. they must have sensed you are a deserter and are playing with you.

Back