• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bilstein B4s

Hey guys. Have any of you had any experience with Bilstein B4 shocks? I need to replace my standard ones on the left side of the car and figured I may as well do them all. I cant justify 700 quid on decent coilovers as I don't track the car and won't buy cheap Chinese knockoffs. The same reason goes for the Bilstein B6 shocks. I also want to use 30mm lowering springs on the B4s.

Any opinions greatfully received. Thanks

I've got B8 bilsteins all round (not coilover) with eibach pro kit, lowers 30 mm, gives it an aggressive stance... well I think so :D
Capture_zpsneokvrrr.png

I've got B8 bilsteins all round (not coilover) with eibach pro kit, lowers 30 mm, gives it an aggressive stance... well I think so :D
Capture_zpsneokvrrr.png

Thanks. The B8s are at the other end of the scale to the B4s so I'm not sure they are comparable...

Bilstein are always rated highly. I haven't heard of any bad reviews in any application.

I've got a set of standard shocks and eibach springs you're welcome to. Can't remember what condition they were in, all serviceable as far as I know.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bilstein are always rated highly. I haven't heard of any bad reviews in any application.

I've got a set of standard shocks and eibach springs you're welcome to. Can't remember what condition they were in, all serviceable as far as I know.

Nice one buddy. I'll hit you up with a text tomorrow. OEM shocks and pro springs? Your EP3 is a 2005 plate right?

Nice one buddy. I'll hit you up with a text tomorrow. OEM shocks and pro springs? Your EP3 is a 2005 plate right?
54 plate. They're the 15/20mm ones I think. I'll show you tomorrow.

Figured I'd ask in here as I may replace the suspension this year on the road car. Front is starting to knock a bit (front drop links are fine), OEM currently.

From what I could find out online, B4 shocks are an OE replacement, B6 and B8 are 'uprated' but I can't find out anything more specific. Are they a lowered shock, stiffer or what? I'm guessing I'd need to reuse/replace the front top mounts as well?

I've been thinking I'd change the springs while it's all out too.

Thanks in advance.

B4 are OEM replacements. B6 are designed for lowering springs. Unsure of B8’s, but perhaps damper control is added.

Thanks Chris, a fountain of knowledge as usual.

My thinking is if it's getting replaced then might as well upgrade it some.

Thanks Chris, a fountain of knowledge as usual.

My thinking is if it's getting replaced then might as well upgrade it some.

Hey bud. I was lucky enough for a mate to donate some suspension off his facelift EP3 and the difference from my old pre facelift (quite clearly fu**ed) shocks is like night and day. No more knocking and i didnt have to get some Bilsteins after all.

I guess im trying to say that its easy to forget how good the OEM stuff is after you have been driving around on some that are past their best. Have a look an fleebay first before shelling out a load on something that will do the same job.

And before anyone says - The prefacelift shocks are not the same as the facelift shocks ;)

That’s a valid point too. Hence why I’ve decided to replace mine, not particularly because I wanted the GT1’s, but because the car has done over 80k so they’re probably past their best.

Mine is on 82k and getting on for 13 years old now so the knocking that's just started isn't something I'm surprised about.

I enjoy my regular spirited drives out and occasional track use despite having the track car so I hope to take advantage of that without going over the top.

Back