• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

BMC CDA Indution Kit Type R EP3 2005

Hello, I have tried looking on the site to see if I could find someone that has used a BMC CDA Induction Kit on there EP3 but not been able to find one.

Any advice would be great as I am looking into getting this one as I am not wanting spend the money you have to for the Grump M / Mugen Induction kits.

I know this prob not the right one, but I thought I would post a link so you know what they look like if your unsure of the name. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMC-CDA-Kit-f...787540&cguid=a473a4b71290a0aad48314e3ffef538d

Any do or don't with this would be great!

Thanks for taking the time to reading this.

JubeiTigeruk

Hello mate, have you thought about getting a AEM CAI, less restrictive than the OEM box and a lot more common which means thay come up in the for sale section quite a bit and to be fair you can pick a new one up for just over 200 pounds now i believe.

Hello mate, have you thought about getting a AEM CAI, less restrictive than the OEM box and a lot more common which means thay come up in the for sale section quite a bit and to be fair you can pick a new one up for just over 200 pounds now i believe.

Hello, I have looked at the AEM range and they are my next choice. My reason being for the BMC is because I like the look of it under the engine plus I am considering getting a Supercharger kit in the future and I noticed everyone one of them Superchargers I have had this induction kit. I was just wanting to make sure there isn't any bad things going on or anything anyone can suggest.

I would love the Grump M Induction Kit but paying all of that for it just seems way too over the top for my liking! Would rather buy an exhaust system! lol

Thank you for your suggestion though... wouldn't mind knowing which AEM you would actually suggest if you wouldn't mind posting a URL?

JubeiTigeruk

The AEM would possibly be my second choice after the Gruppe 'M, mainly because of the reduced cost.

Here are the kits, you want to focus on the bottom two of the three.

http://www.unit-8.co.uk/acatalog/EP3_Cold_Air_Feed_kits.html

The drawback with the long arm AEM's is that they sit in the lower part of the bumper close to the road and have in the past been in volved in hydro-lock issues. This is where the engine shuts down due to the dectection of water beening introduced, this is from the AEM sucking up water from driving through deep puddles and such. It's not common but the risk is always there.

Another popular modifictaion to the intake system of the EP3 is the Hondata airbox mod.

It costs nothing to do as it involves modifying your existing OEM airbox. Its been proven to give decent gains and increase induction noise.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...d-Done....-Some-Pics&highlight=hondata+airbox

There are plenty of induction kits available for the EP3, the crown of which IMO goes to the Gruppe 'M, thats not to say that all the others out there arn't good as the differences are marginal at best. The Gruppe 'M gets the award by drawing in the 'coolest' air.

The kit you decide to go for will ultimatly be based on your budget.

The AEM would possibly be my second choice after the Gruppe 'M, mainly because of the reduced cost.

Here are the kits, you want to focus on the bottom two of the three.

http://www.unit-8.co.uk/acatalog/EP3_Cold_Air_Feed_kits.html

The drawback with the long arm AEM's is that they sit in the lower part of the bumper close to the road and have in the past been in volved in hydro-lock issues. This is where the engine shuts down due to the dectection of water beening introduced, this is from the AEM sucking up water from driving through deep puddles and such. It's not common but the risk is always there.

Another popular modifictaion to the intake system of the EP3 is the Hondata airbox mod.

It costs nothing to do as it involves modifying your existing OEM airbox. Its been proven to give decent gains and increase induction noise.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...d-Done....-Some-Pics&highlight=hondata+airbox

There are plenty of induction kits available for the EP3, the crown of which IMO goes to the Gruppe 'M, thats not to say that all the others out there arn't good as the differences are marginal at best. The Gruppe 'M gets the award by drawing in the 'coolest' air.

The kit you decide to go for will ultimatly be based on your budget.

Thank you for a decent reply!

I think you have put me off the AEM product though mainly because of that 'hydro-lock issue' as I live in South Wales (UK) it is very wet here most of the time and I live in an area where puddles are all over the place. lol I have noticed the OEM mod but I can't say I like the look of it in the engine.

I was hoping to find someone who has had / got a BMC Indction Kit to be able to give me some advice with it.

Thank you once again for your help!

JubeiTigeruk

how often are you going to see it though ?

IMO if you can't justify a GruppeM or the Tegiwa copy then its got to be the AEM CAI

I know I won't be looking at it much but when I do want to see what I like. I wasn't aware of the Tegiwa make / model actually so thank you for that.

Thanks again.

JubeiTigeruk

if you are worried about hydrolock you could look at getting the Short Ram AEM the trade off is it does suffer from heat soak. i am trying to think of somebody on here who has the BMC.

The problem with the BMC is the **** poor location of the inlet.

You'll be better off buying a 2nd hand Tegiwa copy IMHO.

The problem with the BMC is the **** poor location of the inlet.

You'll be better off buying a 2nd hand Tegiwa copy IMHO.

Yeah I been looking into them, however them and the Grump M do you need to mod the plastics for the instake? Above the bonnett? Only ask cos I seen it on this forum somewhere you had to do that. If thats the case I am put off by both no matter how cool they look.

The Mugen model does that just fit straight in and have the same effect as the Grump M?

Thanks.

Yeah I been looking into them, however them and the Grump M do you need to mod the plastics for the instake? Above the bonnett? Only ask cos I seen it on this forum somewhere you had to do that. If thats the case I am put off by both no matter how cool they look.

The Mugen model does that just fit straight in and have the same effect as the Grump M?

Thanks.

It's easy to mod the scuttle for the Grump M :lol: I have no talent, two left hands and a predisposition to c0cking things up, yet still did a reasonable job myself. Failing that there's someone on the other forum that will do it for you for a small fee.

BTW the cool looks are secondary to how they sound. I swear you'll won't believe how they sound.

On this occasion I wouldn't bother with the Mugen. The intakes mentioned previously are generally considered better than the Mugen.

Oh and it's Gruppe M btw :lol:

It's easy to mod the scuttle for the Grump M :lol: I have no talent, two left hands and a predisposition to c0cking things up, yet still did a reasonable job myself. Failing that there's someone on the other forum that will do it for you for a small fee.

BTW the cool looks are secondary to how they sound. I swear you'll won't believe how they sound.

On this occasion I wouldn't bother with the Mugen. The intakes mentioned previously are generally considered better than the Mugen.

Oh and it's Gruppe M btw :lol:

This.

I've had experience with a K&N Apollo, which is virtually the same as the BMC CDA and I can't complain about that. It's a cold air system so no heatsoak. However, although the kit is designed for the feed to be placed near the wheelarch, the Apollo can stretch the flexi intake tube to go around to the front down the gap being the nearside headlight (just like the ITG Maxagon). The noise is nice too but not as loud as the GM or other open cone filters.

hi, i have a bmc cda and to be honest, i think they're pretty good. I haven't actually dyno'd the car, but definitely feels responsive and the sound is amazing. I have spoken to someone on here that has said that the bmc cda reduced his ep3 by 13.5 bhp compared to standard. He had dyno'd both a before and after, but im not convinced, i haven't really experienced another kit but it definitely sounds nice and still getting the 6 seconds 0-60 times so cant be that bad...

lol Ash, I wouldn't have thrown away a £200 intake if I thought it had made a difference to the positive side of the HP curve.
Dyno results for you below:

4e%20(4).jpg

4f%20(3).jpg

I'm not saying that there's no chance I couldn't have buoght a bad one out of a bad batch, but, on my car, it robbed me of power. Sounded nice like you said, which gave the impression of speed / power, but the dyno said different. If it works for you, keep it, but the only way you'll be sure it to stick it on a Dyno and get a printout. I thought it made a increase to my car, and to be fair, it did below 4krpm, but at the cost of 12ish bhp top end.

lol Ash, I wouldn't have thrown away a £200 intake if I thought it had made a difference to the positive side of the HP curve.

4e%20%284%29.jpg

4f%20%283%29.jpg

I'm not saying that there's no chance I couldn't have buoght a bad one out of a bad batch, but, on my car, it robbed me of power. Sounded nice like you said, which gave the impression of speed / power, but the dyno said different. If it works for you, keep it, but the only way you'll be sure it to stick it on a Dyno and get a printout. I thought it made a increase to my car, and to be fair, it did below 4krpm, but at the cost of 12ish bhp top end.

Wow thanks for this by the way I only now just read this I haven't touched it yet! haha I don't think I be keen on doing it

4e%20%284%29.jpg

4f%20%283%29.jpg

You fitted it the right way round right cos these are directional filters fitting it the wrong way really strangles the intake.

img_4431_1.jpg

I think I am going to go for the AEM V2 Induction Kit now I love the sound of it going to see how that does for me after the handling mods I get done first!

Back