• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

bonnet release handle

Well after a good day at pod went to check the oil level this morning and the BL@&Y handle inside the car has snapped clean off. It looks like the part of the plastic handle that attaches to the part that pulls the cable had cracked through and when i pulled it it has broken.

So my question is does anyone know can i get just the plastic handle (ie the plastic bit you physically pull to release the bonnet with the picture on it) or do i have to replace the whole assembly and if so is it gonna be the nightmare of a dash out job it looks like being?

Mine did the same thing the other day, not by me but a heavy handed male :rolleyes: :lol: , anyway you have to replace the whole cable, tried glueing the plastic handle back on but it just falls off. Im using a pair of pliers to open it at the moment.

I can get you the P/N tomorrow if you need it.

cheers Lottie already got the part number this morning via my dad (the advantage of having a dad who works in the trade). Is an expensive bit of plastic (as you said have to replace the whole cable) costs 32 quid plus the vat from honda.

cheers Lottie already got the part number this morning via my dad (the advantage of having a dad who works in the trade). Is an expensive bit of plastic (as you said have to replace the whole cable) costs 32 quid plus the vat from honda.

Mine came from www.lings.com and was £36.10 :(

I did this recently, I'm going to try some better glue before replacing the cable.

You're best just replacing it imo or next time it breaks it'll be when you really need to get under the bonnet....

Even if I have emergency pliers in the car?

I'm sure some epoxy resin stuff should be ok. It was fine for a few uses with just cheap garage superglue before coming off.

Yeah Crumb. the problem is the cable takes a few twists and turns getting from the inside to the engine bay and over time it becomes stiff. When we finally got around to changing it the cable was so stiff it wouldn't budge in the outer pulling it by hand. Replaced it and touch wood so far so good.

It's not stiff like that. I suspect that I broke mine because I was pulling up on it rather than out if you know what I mean.

Well mine didn't feel stiff to pull but i know what you mean. It isn't until you get it off the car you realise how bad they are. Honestly for the sake of an hour or so and some hard work (unless you follow the honda method of taking the bumper off and half the car to pieces) i would change it.

Well mine didn't feel stiff to pull but i know what you mean. It isn't until you get it off the car you realise how bad they are. Honestly for the sake of an hour or so and some hard work (unless you follow the honda method of taking the bumper off and half the car to pieces) i would change it.

That's what I'm trying to avoid, that and giving over 40 odd quid. :evil:

I know this is a very old thread but if this happens to you and you find this thread heres what i did.I got a aluminium pull from ebay.com posted from america that just uses two screws to attach to the end of the cable after you use cable cutters to cut an inch of the plastic off the end.Its called a permafix 900 and is relatively easy to fit although you need to remove the kick panel in the footwell and take the two bolts off that hold the cable as the screws are on the right of it being for the american market.Took me about 15 minutes to fit and should never have to worry about it again, about £10 plus £10 postage and took just over a week to come.

Well hopefully about £20 and 15mins work and you should not have to worry about it any more, think the cable from honda is about £40 and will take a lot longer to fit.

Back