• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bought decat ep3, which cat is best for me?

Evening all, I bought a decat ep3 today and I have no plans on keeping it decatted. The car is completely stock bar the decat, I just have a few questions.

Does more CPI = more mpg? I know we don't drive these for mpg but, as a daily commuter I was just wondering.

Do sports cats get less mpg than normal cats?

I'm looking at the japspeed 200 cpi sports cat, but I can also buy an aftermarket normal cat, like a funkypower or similar.

Cheers guys

Last edited:
The only ones I have experience with are SARD and Piper, they are both very good sport cats.

The sport cat will normally be a straight direct replacement fit (the above are anyway) and will mainly benefit the car by means of a much greater flow rate and will have a wider bore capacity to better suit a car which has had a sports exhaust upgrade, fitting this even with a catback system will not bring any noticeable power gains.

If you aim to keep it oem just get a second hand oem cat

The only ones I have experience with are SARD and Piper, they are both very good sport cats.

The sport cat will normally be a straight direct replacement fit (the above are anyway) and will mainly benefit the car by means of a much greater flow rate and will have a wider bore capacity to better suit a car which has had a sports exhaust upgrade, fitting this even with a catback system will not bring any noticeable power gains.

If you aim to keep it oem just get a second hand oem cat

I plan on buying a catback exhaust in the next month, likely the HKS Hi Power one. Should I still go for the aftermarket cat as you say then, or just splash a bit more for the sports cat.

Cheers for the reply mate

I plan on buying a catback exhaust in the next month, likely the HKS Hi Power one. Should I still go for the aftermarket cat as you say then, or just splash a bit more for the sports cat.

Cheers for the reply mate

If you plan on going with an aftermarket catback you may as well get an aftermarket cat and save some cash.

A guy on the dc5 forum bought an ep3 piper sport cat and exhaust system recently and after fitting found it won’t work with his aftermarket arb or something so it was up for sale

I can dig out his post and details if you like, you may be able to get a good deal on it

Carl

Back