• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake Set-up for Track Days

McR

Ello Good People of Type R,

I have an EP3 which has been modified a bit but the brakes are largely stock.

I'm intending to do a couple of track days.

Any recommendations on braided lines and pads? Are the stock disc's up to it?

Cheers

What's your budget? Have you been on track days before?

TGM who aren't far from you do custom braided lines, I'd go for them. OEM discs are okay, but will overheat with repeated abuse.

Pads wise I'd go for a set of PBS pads, you can get them from area motorsport.

I found DS2500 to be the best pads for the front. Brembo for rear. Fluid can be super blue if you're on a budget or RBF600 if you're flush. Braided lines are good too.

Discs are far less important.

There's a chance that still won't satisfy you, if so then go for a stoptech BBK. It's the best mod you can do to a track EP3 bar none.

Pads, fluid and lines were enough for my road EP3, the track EP3 has the stoptech BBK on the front which have been brilliant!

Whereas I cannot stand DS2500. :lol:

Agreed, I found them terrible.

Personally for me, braided lines, Superblue Fluid (TYP200 I believe it is called now), Brembo OE spec discs and Carbone Lorraine RC6 pads.

I got no fade whatsoever from that setup but did find that the caliper piston seal needed replacing regularly as the brakes got hot.

To be honest I'd just bite the bullet and get a Project K Brembo 4 pot setup. I moved to that, again with RC6's and its superb.

One thing I can recommend is don't touch EBC yellow stuff. They are awful.

Can vouch for braided lines and TYP200 though. Run those on my VXR and seems to cope with the stopping really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran ds2500 and pbs back to back. Pbs so much better. I did get fade eventually after a few hot laps, but found that to be a good gauge when to cool down. I've got the clip brembos with Carbotech pads now, the difference is amazing. Zero fade even when much harder on the brakes. Plus they look cool!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Had DS2500 on my stoptechs and they were surprising OK, the amount of dust is silly though.

Trying some CL RC5+ next.

I know mate but for "street / occasional track" pads they disintegrated compared to other compounds I've used in the past :D

They held up to fading really well however and was only noticeable around the time I was thinking of cooling down, even at Blyton.
Heard great things about PBS but they don't do my caliper fitment yet so will try CL.

I could definitely recommend against DS2500 pads with stoptech slotted rotors on the front. After a few laps on these I would get really bad juddering under braking. In the end I had the front brakes replaced with stoptech BBK & Ferodo pads. Never regretted it. One of the best mods I've done for my EP3 (that & the LSD).

I could definitely recommend against DS2500 pads with stoptech slotted rotors on the front. After a few laps on these I would get really bad juddering under braking. In the end I had the front brakes replaced with stoptech BBK & Ferodo pads. Never regretted it. One of the best mods I've done for my EP3 (that & the LSD).
Which Ferodo pads did you use with the BBK if you didn't get on with the DS2500?

^^The same DS2500, but for BBK) :mrgreen: I was hesitant based on my experience, but they were highly recommended for the BBK. I thought perhaps it might just have been a bad combination with the standard size stoptech slotted disks.

The issue is that DS2500 will continue to bite even when over their operating temperature. If you have small discs or inadequate cooling, heat is increased and eventually pad deposits transfer to the disc which results in the vibrations.

The issue is that DS2500 will continue to bite even when over their operating temperature. If you have small discs or inadequate cooling, heat is increased and eventually pad deposits transfer to the disc which results in the vibrations.
Yeah they do seem to take quite a beating! I managed to keep mine for almost two years before I started to get vibrations but both the disc and pad were ready to change by then so I wasn't too bothered by it.

Back