• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CAM Belt Change

Just about to buy my first Type R. Car I'm buying hasn't had any record of CAM change so I'm getting that done ASAP. What kind of price would you expect to pay?

Cheers.

That'll be why there's no cam belt history. It's a chain and inspection item during servicing

How do Honda inspect it during a service? remove the rocker cover? Doesn't mean to say that it is inspected at every service.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do Honda inspect it during a service? remove the rocker cover? Doesn't mean to say that it is inspected at every service.

I couldn't tell you exactly but I'd imagine they'd use a timing light unless there was a rattle on idle/startup that'd prompt investigation.

The tensioner is oil driven so once it's been changed regularly with the right oil it'll last.

If ever there's work that involves the head coming off etc it'd be prudent not to check for stretch in the chain and guides for wear.

I had 160k on my DC5 and no issues with chain. I'm sure there's a few on here who have had heavier mileage. I'm also sure that there's a minority that had to change a chain on an engine with smaller miles.

I don't think the chain on my EP3 has ever been insppected, despite the rocker cover coming off occasionally at service time for valve clearances.

At 200K miles though, it, along with the tensioner & guides will have to be replaced soon.

There is a very small inspection cover accessed from underneath, shine a torch in to check the ratchet position of the tensioner , told to me by TGM....

Back