• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Chain change

Hey fellow type r owners

Looking to get some information regarding my chain skipping a teeth (1). Found out about this a few weeks ago after having my valve clearence done and have not driven the car since. Now, what I’m wondering is that there was no check engine light and the car did not feel like it had something wrong with it. I may have driven a couple of days, worse a couple of weeks without knowing. What damage may have I caused?
The car is in the shop now. They will change the chain, tensioner and the guides. Do I also need an oil change and new valve cleanrence?

Thank you

Update!

Chain change went smoothly. They said it was streched and timing was off by half a tooth. Clearance was also ok. Hopefully there was no damage done to the engine. Ordered parts from Tegiwa and paid 240£ for the fititing. Car has done 90k miles.

I'm getting my value clearances done tomorrow. The guy said he'd check the chain the following day when cold, he said you can here a rattle when it's cold but not warm, how did they diagnose the chain was skipping a tooth? Mines done 95k

It was a buddy of mine who did my valve clearance who noticed my chain was streched. Timing was off and the markings were a bit off. He will for sure see if the timing is off when inspecting the chain. As I said, I did not notice much of a difference in terms of power etc. However, after the chain change I do think that the motor feels or sounds quieter and the acceleration is more smooth!

Sounds like you got off quite lightly then.

Did it have full Honda Service? Mine was up until 2018 and last year some back street garage, so I assume Honda would have done any value clearances and timing chain changes required during its like 94k miles. DOn't think they're due until 100k miles but given the minimal cost I'm getting them done now. Fingers crossed the chain is OK.

Don't assume that Honda service centre would do valves, chain or plugs unless YOU ask for them.
They might suggest they need doing but shouldn't go ahead without asking.

Don't assume that Honda service centre would do valves, chain or plugs unless YOU ask for them.

You're the second person to say this to me today. I'm getting mine done with the coil overs and geo today.

Honda in Salisbury tried to quote me for changing the timing "belt" on my S2000 at 65k miles. Seemed a bit perplexed when I told him it didn't have one. I walked out and went elsewhere.

Maybe they were talking about the aux belt and just called it wrong?
Don't think so. He had a folder with generic services on it. He just picked the most expensive one.
Said I was due a major service. I told him it wasn't, as the previous service was the major one and I had the receipt from Honda in Bristol for it. "Can't see it on the system so best to assume it wasn't done" that's when I walked out.

Back