• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Changes to the MOT in 2011.

Suits

First to flounce
Check these out, so people with cheap HID kits beware.

2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

Full details here.

What a load of crap, the idea of the mot was to ensure your cars not a danger on the road, now all they're doing are forcing everyone to keep standard.

What's next? All cars have to have standard alloys?

HIDS are illegal as aftermarket as they have to be self leveling, its just not being enforced at the moment as far as im aware.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

I take it that'll also mean no insurance will even touch a chipped car?

airbag lights will be a pain for all french car drivers, those lights are always on. remove bulb from dash.

Is this the end of proper modified cars? so many tuning firms and company will be shut down due to no business!

This has raised it's head again.

Coming in in January 2012 apparently.

Already happened to bikes, causing a bit of a stir too.

J, Spenc, Monk - Any of you rocketeers heard about this ??

Had mine done in August & nothing was mentioned tbh.

Actually, one thing was said.
If your tyres are on OEM tyres & are more than 10% out of manufactures suggested pressures then the old bill can give ou 3 points per tyre :shock:

They were talking about it at work today ( we're an MOT centre too ) but it was so boring I took nothing in.

Essentially nothing has been set in stone yet, although they are expecting certain things to be gospel.

How does the HID's thing effect DC5's, as they have no washer on the bumper, but they all seem to have HID's. Will they be ok as there OEM fitment, or are they?

Back