• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Changing gear

Hello,

I have noticed recently when changing gear at the lower end that I am having to really push it into gear sometimes. Other times its just normal. I also notice this but not as much when in VTEC. Has anyone else come across this and know what it could be?

P.s there is no crunching when changing gears

Cheers

What's the mileage and has the clutch ever been changed? Also has the gearbox oil been changed recently at all?

What's the mileage and has the clutch ever been changed? Also has the gearbox oil been changed recently at all?

Hi Chris,

90k miles and dont think the clutch has been changed, not in my ownership anyway! The bite is still fine etc.

Not sure when the gearbox oil was changed so ill need to check service history. Are those the only two common things to check?

If you can't find any evidence that the clutch has been changed then it may be due a change, they typically last 60-80k miles in an EP3. Try pulling away in 2nd or 3rd from a standstill, if it's quite easy it's a sign that it's worn.

If you can't find any evidence that the clutch has been changed then it may be due a change, they typically last 60-80k miles in an EP3. Try pulling away in 2nd or 3rd from a standstill, if it's quite easy it's a sign that it's worn.

I'll give it a go.

I'm reading a lot about bleeding the clutch cylinder and replacing the fluid

Transmission fluid change helped mine a lot. Is the clutch bite low down?

Yes, I wouldn't say its cause for concern! The garage didn't exactly say to change the fluid or oil and went straight for new clutch, hmm

Last edited:
My ep3 was a bit of a git to get in gear, especially in vtec. Clutch bite was about an inch off the floor, usually two signs you need to change the clutch. If you do, it's about £450 including parts, best to get oem 3 piece clutch.

Back