• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Chris' Blue FD2 Track Car

Hi can i ask if you have managed to change the speedo to MPH if so how? I purchased the vehicle yesterday and assumed there would be a simple button to press like on the FN2 but im unable to find this if there is

I haven't updated this thread in ages, because, well, the car has barely moved! I think it's been on the road twice since the service it had last August. Since the last time I had it on track (summer 2019!) I've started a new job, Covid has happened, house hunting and impending move and basically real life stuff has got in the way of wanting to go on any track days. I was close to booking Spa for this October however I really can't be sure of how the EU will be with us once the Covid dust starts to settle. Anyway, that's boring so enough of it.

For a few track days I have noticed that the car will crunch going from 3rd into 4th when giving it all of my inches. It's fairly common for the synchromesh on these gearboxes to go at some point in their life. It started getting bad on the last track day, so much so I started to really ease of for the change. It started looming at the back of my mind and in reality, I've used all of the RL excuses above to probably cover up the main issue hence it's not been out on track in nearly two years. In addition, there is still a god awful front end rattle since fitting the Meister R's which I've not got to the bottom off, despite it being given a full bill of health. I'm sure it's probably the bonnet stay or something else in the bay causing it but it's still rather unsettling.

Hence I've just bitten the bullet and booked it into Performance Autoworks later this month for the following work:

• Remove 'box, inspect and replace synchros as necessary
  • Inspect and service Kaaz diff
  • New Exedy Racing stage 1 clutch (not needed but makes sense while the ‘box is out)
  • Replace front LCA with hardrace items
  • Fine tooth comb check of everything mechanical
  • Replace front pads with XP10's (might be 12's, can't remember what I bought) - the RS29's are on their last legs
I'm not looking forward to the bill but needs must and hopefully post house move I can look at booking Castle Combe and see if I get the bug again. Plus, I have the added bonus of the car not being at home during the house move.

Last edited:
First time on here for ages and first time I can say I now have an FD2! Good to hear about yours! Though mine’s my daily driver as well as for the fairly regular weekend / evening missions up to Exmoor. Still very much learning it and loving it more every day. Wanted to comment as just booked a day at Castle Combe in July, last time I was there was 2013 in my then DC2, far too long! Reckon it won’t take long to get the bug again. Hope to hear how you get on.

Rich at Performance autoworks will see you right buddy.
I've got Combe booked for 10th Sept directly with them.
I'm hoping to get out on track before then but it's looking unlikely atm.
Let me know if you plan on booking anymore dates Chris, and see if we an link up etc. Would be good to catch up again.

Thanks, what date have you got booked in July?
19th July Chris. Oh and have made it through the bulk of your thread now, interesting reading, Mine is stock other than Ohlin DFV’s btw which I see you went away from in the end. I’m bloody impressed with them so far, but it came n on them, so nothing to compare direct with unfortunately,

Can I come with you if you do a day In July please mate?
I doubt there'll be places available, I didn't want to book anything until the car is finished. As it turns out there's a delay with the LCA parts and they're on back order so it may have been a decent move!

I picked the car up earlier and I'm very happy. Not only has the front end rattle all but gone which I guess must have been the LCAs, the car underneath is in great condition and the clutch/gearbox work has done wonders. The new clutch while heavier feels superb as does the gearchange. The general feel of the front of the car is much improved too.

One thing which was picked up is that my 6 pot calipers had been fitted incorrectly. With multi piston calipers the smallest piston should always be the leading piston with the largest being the trailing. This is done that way to prevent/reduce the significant offset wear pad wear. The orientation of these calipers (the way they have been Brembo factory set up) would be for a car with calipers mounted at the rear of the wheel which would make the small piston the leading piston. Mine were mounted at the front hence I've had really bad pad wear and my £500 odd RS29's didn't last anywhere near as long as I was hoping. The garage have swapped the calipers around for me so I'm hoping the replacement XP12 pads should have some longer life. They are still at the front, but at the other side of the car now.

Now that it's back I'm going to look at doing a day at Castle Combe soon.

Really good of the garage to pick up on that (caliper orientation) and it simply being a matter of swapping them over. As it would have been pretty dire if new brackets, etc needed to be manufactured!

Most of the bigger Brembos are mirrored for link and bleed points so it's easy to swap them round. I was intended the same with the 997 calipers I was eyeing up for the SL.

I picked the car up earlier and I'm very happy. Not only has the front end rattle all but gone which I guess must have been the LCAs, the car underneath is in great condition and the clutch/gearbox work has done wonders. The new clutch while heavier feels superb as does the gearchange. The general feel of the front of the car is much improved too.

One thing which was picked up is that my 6 pot calipers had been fitted incorrectly. With multi piston calipers the smallest piston should always be the leading piston with the largest being the trailing. This is done that way to prevent/reduce the significant offset wear pad wear. The orientation of these calipers (the way they have been Brembo factory set up) would be for a car with calipers mounted at the rear of the wheel which would make the small piston the leading piston. Mine were mounted at the front hence I've had really bad pad wear and my £500 odd RS29's didn't last anywhere near as long as I was hoping. The garage have swapped the calipers around for me so I'm hoping the replacement XP12 pads should have some longer life. They are still at the front, but at the other side of the car now.

Now that it's back I'm going to look at doing a day at Castle Combe soon.
What gearbox work did you get done in the end?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bought a shed, built it and filled it.

IMG-3767.jpg

That allowed me to finally put the FD2 into the garage at the new house.

IMG-3763.jpg

IMG-3762.jpg

Unfortunately I can't open the side door with the way the car is. Once I get some shelving up and have another sort/clear out I should be able to angle the car differently allowing the door to fully open.

IMG-3768.jpg

IMG-3769.jpg

Battery conditioner ordered and will be fitted later today or tomorrow.

Getting there, slowly but surely.

Being a 'new-build', you obviously don't have loft storage of the conventional nature (or the ability to fully board due to overlapping insulation to meet regs), but I bought 24 of these to at least be able to not have the loft as completely wasted space - Loft shelving.

Not spectacular but at least useful, especially in the sense that they were much cheaper than buying timber and 22mm loft board to achieve the same thing.

They are weight limited to 12kg a shelf, and are only supplied with four 30mm screws to affix them, so get yourself some more - I used eight per kit in total, to provide more stability for the brackets attaching to the trusses.

Clearly nobody who designs these houses actually intends anyone to use the garage for parking a car. :rolleyes:

I'd look at either a roller shutter at the front to allow parking closer to it, or changing the access door to open outwards.

I got very lucky with my garage space! Every other house we viewed would have needed an external shed for all the bits and bobs. Only photo I have of it in the garage was my wedding day
ef67bb2965373c86268c37085f562619.jpg
bc0254fbd345bda0c9b67e2bdb4a3670.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Clearly nobody who designs these houses actually intends anyone to use the garage for parking a car. :rolleyes:

I'd look at either a roller shutter at the front to allow parking closer to it, or changing the access door to open outwards.

Rolling door with remote fob has been ordered as has shelving. It’ll make a big difference for sure.

Karl - we are going to get someone in to board the loft, there’s a lot of room up there and I’ll certainly help matters.

Last edited:
Back