• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic Ep3 loud rumbling noise exhaust

Hi

Was driving my ep3 other day and was raining quite heavy.

Car started to make loud rumbling noise and I could feel vibrations in the driver seat.

Sounded like it was coming from the section right under the seat.

The car has a cat back exhaust. Could this be an exhaust, cat issue.

Thanks

There's a known 'quirk' with these and aftermarket exhausts rumbling in the rain, something to do with the heat shield over the center section. But I've not had it happen to me. One member, Scottish Type R put exhaust wrap on his center pipe and changed some of the rubber mounts for poly hangers.

Its water getting on to the Exhaust System.its Evaporating and makes loud noise nothing to worry about happen to me yesterday

Its water getting on to the Exhaust System.its Evaporating and makes loud noise nothing to worry about happen to me yesterday

Did you get a shiny Exhaust from Matt at InjectionImports Hazma? :p

Yes it is a common issue with the aftermarket exhausts on the EP3. Mine is Heat wrapped from the start of the b-pipe to the b-pipe silencer. Switched out the poly mounts and switched to the J S Racing ones.

It made a huge difference. Now in really heavy rain I get the odd rumbling noise but nothing like before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get this too, its cold water hitting the hot exhaust causing it to bend temporarily and touch the car. Same idea as when you pull a hot oven tray out and stick it under cold tap it goes wonky. Heat wrap the b pipe its ment to help

It could be that different parts of the exhaust are expanding/contracting at different rates due to the cooling effect of the rain and it's maybe causing a small leak at the joins/flanges?

I know exhausts expand when hot, But on an N/A K20 there is something wrong with exhaust fitment if the deformation is enough to contact the body of the car.

The evaporation theory seem's solid too as I think I experience similar with J's B-pipe.

Other than that, Are the baffles in good known condition? it possibly may have been a coincidence as I know baffle problems can seem intermittent.

It could be that different parts of the exhaust are expanding/contracting at different rates due to the cooling effect of the rain and it's maybe causing a small leak at the joins/flanges?

I know exhausts expand when hot, But on an N/A K20 there is something wrong with exhaust fitment if the deformation is enough to contact the body of the car.

The evaporation theory seem's solid too as I think I experience similar with J's B-pipe.

Other than that, Are the baffles in good known condition? it possibly may have been a coincidence as I know baffle problems can seem intermittent.
I think its because the exhaust sits so close to the car anyway as it's unique to the EP3 this kind of problem, so I'm lead to believe.

Back