• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch Pedal Getting Lower Does it Mean The Clutch is Wearing out

After having a full service and inspection on the car i had a to-do sheet and wish i hadn't asked in ways but the top priority has been put as needs a new clutch. Now since still driving it i can't say i have noticed any signs that it does and so confused really. It seems to drive smoothly it takes off fine it maybe 1-2 times wasn't a perfect gear change in weeks and it pulls uphill with no noise or slips the only thing i think i have noticed is the pedal seems lower to the floor now than it was. i asked around and the general answer to this is if the clutch is going the pedal will go higher and not lower so i asked a couple of other mechanics to test and after trying to see if it pulls ok while on break with no noise all seem to say the clutch is ok. so kind of left scratching my head as to if the original mechanic knows a lot more than others i have asked or it is ok. any advice would be nice as got to drive a distance in 2 weeks so wanna no it's ok for that.also forgot to mention that the type r in question here is a 57 plate fn2 just in case it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t overly worry if it was me personally. I drove my DC5 from South Wales to Cheshire and back on a slipping clutch a few years ago. Granted I took it easy but it should give you plenty of signs it’s on its way out before it breaks unless of course something like the release bearing suddenly fails but that’s a separate kind of wear to the clutch surface.
I knew mine was on its way out for weeks before as high gear pulls it would slip. I even drove it down to TGM in Fleet to have it replaced after the Cheshire trip so it covered a good 300 miles or more like it plus daily trips to work. Unless it’s giving you warning signs I’d just be mindful of it and you’ll know when it could do with changing.
In the mean time get the clutch bled if it’s not been done recently. That will improve it if it’s old stuff in there.

Back