• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Cold start rattle for 1 to 2 secs.

Does anyone else get a rattle on start up with there FK8. Doesn’t do it every time but sounds like lifters or timing chain tensioner

I believe its a common thing. I seem to remember reading its something to do with a pin attached to the wastegate valve or the shield above it, Someone with more knowledge will hopefully reply.

Thanks for the replys. It does seem worse if it’s sat a few days. Oil light always goes out immediately. If I run it every day it doesn’t seem to do it. Weird.

Have heard from someone who had this issue; Added a tiny touch of oil ~200ml and was problem solved.

Have heard from someone who had this issue; Added a tiny touch of oil ~200ml and was problem solved.

Adding oil to where , the engine ? My fk8 doesn't use a drop of oil and is always on the top limit of the dipstick but I still get the rattle from time to time.

Yes, to the engine :p

The person reporting it was the same; Oil on max - But the extra 200ml fixed the problem.

If only the dipstick was more legible - The orange plastic makes the entire thing totally useless imo. Plain metal or, even better some hatching would be spot on.

It doesn’t matter what the temperature is, although it does sound worse when cold, but they all rattle on start up. It sounds worse when it’s been stood for a few days too, but most engines do that for a second or two

I don't want to scare anyone, but my old FD2 made a noise at startup if left for a few days. When started it would cold idle at 1850 rpm. There is a chance that the bearings were not properly lubricated. But it was okay if used every day. In my opinion, it was an indication that some bearings were a little 'dry'. However, I sold it with over 90k miles and no engine issues.

It doesn’t matter what the temperature is, although it does sound worse when cold, but they all rattle on start up. It sounds worse when it’s been stood for a few days too, but most engines do that for a second or two
I’m wondering if it is normal. I haven’t had a car with a timing chain for a few years and wondering if it’s the chain rattling slightly until the tensioner fills up with oil, that is if the tensioner is hydraulic. alternativly hydraulic valve lifters but not sure if we have them either. Doesn’t sound like bearings.

My FK8 is on 8k miles and doesn't rattle on startup, even after sitting for two weeks or more. It just settles at a tick over of 1200 rpm or so.

Back