• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dealer behaviour

Wondered if anyone fancied weighing in on my recent dealer MOT experience:

Took my car to Honda dealer for MOT on an offer. Failed on weak handbrake (<50% strength). I'm not a mechanic so bear that in mind, but I knew the handbrake was bad beforehand so this was not made up. They quoted me £60 or something to diagnose the cause. I agreed.

Got a phone call saying the problem was the rear calipers, quoted me for new calipers. I asked if this would definitely fix the problem and they said yes. I asked if the problem could be the handbrake cables and they said no it's the calipers. More than I wanted to spend but I agreed.

Phone call next day saying calipers didn't fix the problem and the car needed new cables. Now looking at doubling my bill to get new cables to pass MOT. They chucked in a few extras for me and agreed not to charge for MOT or diagnosis, and somehow I ended up agreeing. The total was now pretty damn high. Parts were matching prices I could see online, but the labour charges virtually doubled the total price.

Now, I know dealers are expensive and if they'd been upfront and I still agreed to go with them, that's on me. But I don't feel they were upfront. I agreed to pay for a diagnosis that turned out to be wrong which then strung me along for more money. I'm still not 100% clear what was wrong with the calipers, and when I asked to get them back the rep said 'let me call you back as it might be a part that Honda take and recycle' - what on earth, the old calipers are my property! That one made me feel they were trying it on. I got the calipers back afterwards but haven't inspected them yet. The foot brake was fine before, just the handbrake was weak.

Anyway I paid the bill to get my car back, via credit card, but I do feel pretty annoyed. Then again maybe it really needed all the work and I'm just paying extra for Honda labour... Grateful for any thoughts.

Standard main dealer fare, just throw parts at it until the problem goes. "Diagnosing" basically means prodding it with a screwdriver and taking a guess at what's wrong, rather than actually taking it apart to find out.

The worst part of that is that you yourself suggested the cables and were told no, only for them to essentially say that you were right and then charge you for that.

The dealer I used to use was always sound when it came to repairs/servicing and never had any issues but I've heard stories like yours about other Honda garages so it's all luck of the draw.

Only issue I ever remember having was on my last ever visit. I'd booked a courtesy car but my license had expired. I tried to explain to them that the DVLA had officially granted an extension due to the backlog of renewals during Covid (and that I was covered by that extension) but they wouldn't have it. I was like "WTF, this is common knowledge available to everybody" but they just refused and suddenly started acting cool towards me as if I was a criminal lol

Wondered if anyone fancied weighing in on my recent dealer MOT experience:

Took my car to Honda dealer for MOT on an offer. Failed on weak handbrake (<50% strength). I'm not a mechanic so bear that in mind, but I knew the handbrake was bad beforehand so this was not made up. They quoted me £60 or something to diagnose the cause. I agreed.

Got a phone call saying the problem was the rear calipers, quoted me for new calipers. I asked if this would definitely fix the problem and they said yes. I asked if the problem could be the handbrake cables and they said no it's the calipers. More than I wanted to spend but I agreed.

Phone call next day saying calipers didn't fix the problem and the car needed new cables. Now looking at doubling my bill to get new cables to pass MOT. They chucked in a few extras for me and agreed not to charge for MOT or diagnosis, and somehow I ended up agreeing. The total was now pretty damn high. Parts were matching prices I could see online, but the labour charges virtually doubled the total price.

Now, I know dealers are expensive and if they'd been upfront and I still agreed to go with them, that's on me. But I don't feel they were upfront. I agreed to pay for a diagnosis that turned out to be wrong which then strung me along for more money. I'm still not 100% clear what was wrong with the calipers, and when I asked to get them back the rep said 'let me call you back as it might be a part that Honda take and recycle' - what on earth, the old calipers are my property! That one made me feel they were trying it on. I got the calipers back afterwards but haven't inspected them yet. The foot brake was fine before, just the handbrake was weak.

Anyway I paid the bill to get my car back, via credit card, but I do feel pretty annoyed. Then again maybe it really needed all the work and I'm just paying extra for Honda labour... Grateful for any thoughts.
Find yourself a local well recommended honest Garage . One that does mot's, and agree to fitting original Honda parts and charge you labour for fitting them. Also their labour charges should be miles less than Honda. I believe the current dealers charge over £100+ per hour. Should you require any genuine Honda parts. Go online and look for Cox Honda and look for any parts you need and order from them, in addition provided you inform them that you are a member on here and your user name you then set this up andwill get the forum discount of 5%. This then can be used in the future. Their prices are extremely competitive I've never had a price of theirs beaten. There is a small delivery charge and is extremely fast. Take the parts to the garage and get them fitted. Problem solved. Your local Honda dealer may match Cox's price, but in the first place they won't quote anywhere near, so Cox take the lead. This might sound like a tall order but I have done this and believe me there are honest garages out there. A good Garage with experienced mechanics should be able to accurately see what the problem is and to me your dealer used sharp practice to get you to spend as much as possible. I hope this helps. Regards Fred

Last edited:
Another +1 for Cox. Bought lots of stuff for my R in the past - brakes, mats, light units and more. Always spot-on.

Back