• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

detailing advice please

right then over the easter holiday im gonna be giving the type r a proper damn good clean,ive always just washed cars then polished em ive never done a full on detail and im loving the type r so wanna treat her

treat me as a noob on this please

what do i need (cloths,wax,polish,clay etc etc)

what methods are best or in what order do i do things

where to buy all the kit from-i dont mind spending a bit as long as the results are worth it,dont mind mail order would prefer to get it all from one place-NOT FROM ****ING HALFRAUDS,me and my mate will be going halves on the stuff as he will be detailing his evo 6
round my gaff on the same day-i have a pressure washer,snow foam,a bucket and some cooking oil that is all i have :(

my type r is cosmic grey his evo 6 is satelite silver

right then over the easter holiday im gonna be giving the type r a proper damn good clean,ive always just washed cars then polished em ive never done a full on detail and im loving the type r so wanna treat her

treat me as a noob on this please

what do i need (cloths,wax,polish,clay etc etc)

what methods are best or in what order do i do things

where to buy all the kit from-i dont mind spending a bit as long as the results are worth it,dont mind mail order would prefer to get it all from one place-NOT FROM ****ING HALFRAUDS,me and my mate will be going halves on the stuff as he will be detailing his evo 6
round my gaff on the same day-i have a pressure washer,snow foam,a bucket and some cooking oil that is all i have :(

my type r is cosmic grey his evo 6 is satelite silver

Cooking oil?!

basic kit:

Micro fibre clothes LOTS OF THEM!
Horse Hair Brush's different sizes for getting in the nooks and cranys (door handles,badges,seams etc)
wool mitt
Polish pads (little foam round disc's)
Drying towel - prefer these to chamy's as they lift what ever little dirt is left rather then rubbing it in
Bucket - and grit guard if you want
and a spray nozzle for the hose
spray bottles
rags
wheel brush

soap polish waxes etc:

All purpose cleaner either Meg's or my favorite Auto smart G101 (get them off ebay cheapest) and can be diluted to what ever strength you like.
decent snow foam Chemical guy's have some decent stuff
Tar remover to be used after pre wash Auto smart Tardis is the best i have found
good soap Meg's gold glass is what i use but every body has there favorite
Clay Bar and lube as above there all pretty much the same i use meg's
for polish honestly cant beat AG Super Resin polish its the bee's knees and the new formula is easier to take off

waxes.... . . .
Every body has there favorite ive tested loads in my kit at the moment i have zymol, AG HD wax, Megs tech NXT wax, Dodo Juice, Mer..... and so on but
my favorite is AG HD wax it gives the best results. Zymol lasts longer and meguiars tech wax 2.0 NXT goes on and comes off a lot faster but its each to there
own and whats needed at the time, ive heard swissvax is good too. Other then that quick detailers for quick wipe downs loads to pick from.

Best shop online for me is Cleanyourcar.co.uk loads of offers and quick delivery, but shop around and keep an eye on ebay and amazon. I got my HD wax for £23 on amazon when it was £45 in halfords the scamming *****

Basic run down what to do:

make sure the surface your cleaning to car on is clean, you dont want dirt/mud flying up when pressure washing.

1. snow foam the dirty girl down
2. make a brew its going to be a long day (wait 10 mins for foam to drag the crap off)
3. pressure wash remaining foam off.
4. spray the car with an APC 1/5 diluted works well get in the wheel arch's and use a stronger dilution to clean the wheels i find APC works just as well as any wheel cleaning solution
5. get in all the seams, Badge's,round doors windows and lights with APC and a horse hair brush, basically any where your sponge or mitt cant reach and pressure wash the car off again
6. spray Tar remover where needed wheels, arch's, doors etc it gets every where and rinse off well
7. bucket soap and lots of bubbles grab your sponge/mitt circular motion or what ever you like and rinse off
8. clay bar the crap out of it, panel by panel use plenty of lube if its dragging or leaving clay marks your not using enough. Either up and down or side to side motion you don't need to use that much pressure.
9. polish panel by panel 3 pea size blob's on the applicator pad small circles and buff off after it haze's repeat if you wish
10. wax... you dont need loads on your cloth or pad just a dab is enough the more you cake on the harder and more time consuming it will be for the same result! straight up and down with the contours of the
body work, let it haze and buff of try doing this and the polishing out of direct sunlight or hot body work or it can be a pig to buff off.
11. tyre shine - quick tip tyre shine like Meg's endurance is brilliant on tyres but also great on arch's and black trim like scuttle panel and window trim in small amounts.

Interior:

basically a good vac and dust, we all know how to do this and window clean in and out any house hold window cleaner works just as well as meg's or turtle wax etc.

Engine clean:

Right then... make sure the engine is cold wrap any wiring blocks and connectors with cling film (injector plugs, sensors etc) get your self a can of GUNK engine de-greaser make sure its the foam one! and
foam the whole bay up go wild! use a brush to get in hard to reach places while foaming and leave for 5 mins before rinsing off. Remove cling film and dry dont forget to do the bonnet under side and then spray
a sealant safe of plastic metals and rub it in job done.

Hope this helps, every one has there own methods and tricks so if ive missed anything please add too this and please excuse any bad punctuation or spelling as my dyslexia makes me a bit crap at this

As above but for the seats I like vanish carpet cleaner (the foam stuff) £3.50 from tesco
LN_067870_BP_10.jpg

You spray it onto the seat, any really dirty areas I've got an interior brush that I use to help lift the stain and then you just leave the form for a few hours (whilst I polish and wax normally) and then hover the white residue off.

If you buy any plastic dash cleaning stuff, make sure it's not a shiny finish. A shiny finish will reflect the sun and blind you so can be a pita

Last edited by a moderator:
use it dry or wet some people Kneed it in there hand right for a minute after getting it out the packet. Some others cut it in to 4 soak it in warm water for a min or 2 and then kneed it. The most important thing with Clay is plenty of lube and when it starts looking a bit dirty kneed it till its clean and carry on. Plenty of advise on Detailingworld web site.

please also note that when clay'ing it may need areas machine polishing to get rid of some marks it may make depending on how bad the surface is and what needs to be done to 'detox' the body

please also note that when clay'ing it may need areas machine polishing to get rid of some marks it may make depending on how bad the surface is and what needs to be done to 'detox' the body

well i hope it doesnt as i dont have a polisher

just be carefull with the clay, if you hear it starting to scratch then remove and wash off, i tend to have a cup of warm water to keep dipping it into, it keeps it soft and you can effectively rise it, also a water squirter is handy to keep spraying the pannel with fresh clean water. what clay are you using? there are different brands out there and with anything some are better than others. meguires do a good one im told but ive found the bodyline one to be very good and is slightly cheaper, you may have to go to a bodyshop supplyer for a bodyline one as im not sure they sell in the shops, google brown brothers, they seem to be the people to see.
if you interested in doing this regular then it may be worth investing in a machine and some mop heads, it realy is the way to get a great finish and if im honest i do enjoy spending an afternoon with the machine out. because detailing is getting popular, machines are getting more common and a decent one can be had for around £90 or a good one like a milwakee or rupes for around £180-£220, products are easy to get hold of and the way products seem to be going, less is more so products are lasting longer than in days gone past lol

do i have to dry the car before claying?

Leave the car wet, make sure you get a soft/mild clay, as this is usually all that is needed for Honda paint. If your using the bilthammer clay, all you'll need is water as lube, if your using any others, either get a dedicated lube, or a shampoo solution in a spray bottle and then mist the panel as you go, making sure it stays slippy, else you could mar the paint. Fold it into itself each time it gets dirty, as the fallout that is collected will mar the paint as well.

Back