• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Drilling Carbon Fibre

Got to drill my bonnet to fit washer jets. Really not looking forward to it...

Any tips?

Cheers

Hi mate, you need to use a tungsten carbide tipped drill to achieve a nice hole in carbon. Also use a block of wood on the underside so the carbon doesn't split on the other side.

Also when i have drilled it i have always put masking tap over the area i was going to drill. Was told it would help stop the coating from chipping and also helps stop the drill slipping. Not sure how much truth was in it but i didnt have any problems.

Not sure if you've done this yet but make sure the drill is on high speed and drill down gradually with a tungsten carbide bit (as Composite Guru said) otherwise it could crack. What I tend to do is use a pointy tip engraver on a dremel to make a small indent to act as a centre punch before using the dremel to drill the hole. This basically stops your drill bit moving around.

Back