• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Carbon Clean

Hi All,

Just a quick one, I have seen a company who do engine carbon cleaning and was wondering if anyone has had this done before? They claim it improves BHP, Fuel efficiency and lowers emissions. Should I trust someone to mess about doing this or am I better off leaving it? They charge £90 and it is a mobile service.

Cheers,

Josh

I'd be interested to see if anyone has had thier car on a dyno before and after.

I've spent many years playing with mini engines, designed in the late 40's. They coke up and 'run-on' after moon mileage. Modern engines simply don't, mostly owing to electronic ignition and fuel injection but also to the quality of modern petrol and efficiency of more modern engines. Run-on is when an engine refuses to stop running when the ignition is turned off. The heat/glow retained by the coke on the piston crown is enough to ignite the fuel - almost similar to a diesel engine.

In the mini scene people started trying new things to help de-coke their engine, usually with minimal effect. It might stop run-on temporarily but it always comes back. The only way to solve it is to take the head off and clean the piston crowns and valves by hand with a mild abrasive. The only horse power increase gained in this is the re-seating of valves which you won't get with any chemical compound. Many people who performed this also found that whilst it breathed a new lease of life into the engine, it was also a death sentence. The coke usually helped seal piston rings to cylinder bores in some minimal way, removing it only accelerated bore deterioration.

Run-on is when an engine refuses to stop running when the ignition is turned off.

Bizarrely I had a dream about the Corvette doing this last night. Never happened to me in any car ever, never experienced it, never heard of it on a Corvette obviously. Strange that I would happen to read a post about it today...

You're better off just running it on decent fuel i.e. Shell v power etc.
Don't waste your money on engine cleaning scams.

Back