• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Alarm Problems

Hey guys a little help needed.

So story goes I took the EP3 off the road for a year during that time the battery went flat. I never locked the car during this period either, so charged the battery back up and all was well until Dad moved the car and the fob wouldnt work so locked it via the key and alarm kept going off.

So I disconnected the battery. So today I put my rocker cover back on after re painting it etc and was gonna service the car too but connected battery back up and alarm keeps going off. I can start the car and drive it but alarm keeps going off, even locking it with keys etc still goes off.

So I have changed battery in fob, checked fuses in engine bay, and done a reset procedure which is:
1. Turn ignition on press fob then turn ignition off within 4 secs and 5 times.
2. You then hear locks reset.
3. Within 10secs press fob lock upto 3 times and locks rest.
4. Turn ignition off to finish procedure.

So this has stopped the alarm going off but fob will not lock or unlock the car. Done procedure with main and spare key but fobs will not work.

Any help is appreciated as Im not great with electrics alarms etc.

Cheers mate, yeah standard alarm/immobilizer.

The reset procedure I carried out did stop the alarm going off.

The fobs on 2 sets dont lock or unlock the car though but I will have another go at the procedure you posted and check the blink code ( I presume that is the red light that flashes under the mileage and not the green key that flashes).

So tried this numerous times but to no avail, the red light that usually flashes doesnt flash, if I lock car with key then open it the indicators flash then when key goes in ignition alarm goes off but red light doesnt seem to flash in a sequence just as if it was working normally.

When I do the sequence it resets because alarm stops, I can start car and you can hear the doors locking etc like in the video but soon as I take key out and try to lock/unlock with fob nothing happens. Bit stumped.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Weird :(

I have no further suggestions other than to find a way to fully reset the alarm (or, sadly, take it in somewhere)

No worries, thanks for the help, Im still trawling the web and have a few friends on it too. There is a local guy around my area but hes on holiday at the moment, typical .

Its a new one for me, to be fair Ive never had an issue with alarms etc on any of my cars before and this one has been good for about 7/8 years ownership but I have left this standing for a year now and the battery went flat so that hasnt helped matters.

So still cant sort this out, a guy came today he tested my fobs and they were fine and said that Hondas are a nightmare to sort because they are a catagory 1 alarm.

Anything else you guys know of that I could try?

I have tried locking and unlocking with the key that sequence again but no joy so contacted my local Honda and they said the keys need recoding and it will be £94 but surely the car would not start if the keys needed recoding?

The issue seems to be the fobs. There seems to be a missing communication between the fobs and the car. Any other ideas guys?

So after speaking to the head technician at my local Honda dealers he seems to think the issue is my keyless entry control unit has packed in which makes sense.

However the part costs £262 plus vat so quick question, if I find a second hand part will my fobs reprogram to it?

I already know the procedure obviously this is not working on my car hence why we have narrowed the fault down to this.

Am I right in beleiving that the unit is located up under the drivers footwell up by the gearstick?

Just to put this to bed, if you have the same issue or similar issues to what I have had the problem will be the Keyless Entry Unit/ Receiver.

Still not sure what caused it to fail but it had, I'm not sure if there was a problem with it before my ownership as the part had some marker pen marks on it, the one I sourced did not.

I managed to get a second hand one for £40, I got one off another EP3 Type R to be sure it worked, I believe as long as the 4 digit number is the same (0891) it will work. Not sure if one will work off a regular civic but I dont see why it couldn't.

After fitting it is a case of doing that key procedure to programme the fobs.

It is a bit of a nightmare to get to, your stereo will have to come out (unless youve got the same size hands as my 3 year old ).

Anyway some pics to help anyone with the same problem. The old part so you know what it looks like plus part numbers and location behind and to the right of your heater controls.
15e1de3b515b45b9abce4613c438d388.jpg
1645bf4bc866dd427137d0c7b80c296e.jpg
7c1c9d878e93f08e36d20ea8d88f6fbc.jpg
f59b8c5d448bdf34e2d942fa5c390dfe.jpg

Hi Shoonk,

Good thread. Been having similar issues to you but I can lock the car with the remotes. But it will not deadlock when you click the second time, but only the boot double locks. Then similar to you my alarm will go off. so not sure what is going on, if like you I possibly need a new Keyless Entry Unit/ Receiver too.

Followed your post though and disarmed the alarm lol. The saga continues.

It done my head in for a while but yeah mine wouldnt look at all with the fobs only with the keys and then would set the alarm off.
If you can get one second hand may be worth a try to rule it out, bit of a potch to get to but seems it locks with the fob Im not sure what it could be. Unless its on its way out.

I've been having ongoing problems with my alarm....I finally found this article.
For me the issue was the bonnet latch......

I've been having ongoing problems with my alarm....I finally found this article.
For me the issue was the bonnet latch......

Yeah that's a good point. Something else to check. Thanks.

Update:

Have now re-programmed the fobs again as looks like it was still half in program mode. But both working now and deadlock works as expected. Indicators flashing again with the locking and un-locking of the car.

Thanks for the extra info @Shoonk and @HongKong.

So ive been using this post to repair thekeyless entry system on my 05 plate ep3 type r and i had the same problem as Shoonk the alarm will program by turning the car on 4 times and press the fob to get into the programming mode but when i turn the car off get out and lock the car via the fob still the alarms not locking or dont anything at all.

So i replaced the keyless entry module but still the same thing!

So i got the service manual and was looking at the modules for the alarm, I saw theres a module to look for the key inserted into the ignition barrel, its easy to test unplug the module on the ignition column its got two wires in a 6 wire plug disconnect the plug and test the alarms function and bingo the alarms fully fuctional.

thanks for the info.

Below is a photo of the module that ive replaced

ignition.jpeg

Last edited:
Back