• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Ep3 clutch problems after 20k..

The time has come to sort out the missus' ep3..

The 1st job is the clutch. I had it done when she got the car as the biting point was low and felt really heavy.

That was a 50000 miles so it must have been hammered. Anyway i went out in it last weekend and noticed it felt the same as it did a few years back but with juddering when setting off now as well. (She doesn't do many miles as it is just under 70000 now after 5 years)

So basically I'm wondering if i should put a new one in and the current has just failed or wether it is something else causing it?

Could the flywheel cause it to go early?

I have changed the clutch fluid aswel just to check it is bled up ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Does she ride the clutch? Was the flywheel machined when the last one was replaced? What was it replaced with?

+1 for clutch riding... It's shocking how many people rest their foot on the clutch totally oblivious to the problems it's causing. The dead pedal is there for a reason!

She claims not and gets a bit touchy when i ask her but all she does is town driving.. so the clutch is in/out every 10 seconds.

I take it for a clearout every now and again so im presuming it's this that has killed it?

Nothing was done with the flywheel when i swapped the last one and it was blueprint iirc

I have a brand new FK2 and she just says that it feels worse to me as mine is new but there's definitely something not right

I always though clutch judder was down to glazed surface material but im not sure what scenarios would create that, the disc is trash at that point. I think the main problem on the civic is the pressure plate wears first. When i changed my clutch at 80k there was still a mm of material on the disc but the pressure plate must have been weakened enough that it caused the classic symptom of trouble changing gears at high rpm. Once it was changed it was night and day with clutch pedal feel (much lighter) and gearchanges at all rpm's.

It's the pressure plate that fails which will be down to town driving as described above. It fatigues over time and makes the pedal feel heavy and the bite point drops down low. I had my clutch replaced about two years ago now when I had my gearbox mods done. Car has done about 25k miles since and it's still light and bite point about half way up, varied driving from town, to motorway and also a few track sessions.

Back