• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 Decat/cat suggestions

Hello people my ems light is on due to my catalytic converter being broken inside (Diagnostic done at local garage) the car has 119k miles and because the oem cat is so expensive im thinking to either get an aftermarket cat or decat , can you guys help me and give me some suggestions please .
I have been looking at japspeed cat but not sure if its not better to try something else and get a decat . I didnt want to do a decat before because I didnt want to pollute the environment but I have change my mind and I would not mind do get a decat now so please help me with your suggestions thanks

Piper do a sport cat as do Sard which are the best ones

If you want a decat then the DC Sport Racing header with built in decat is superb, ran it on my track DC5 for nearly 6yrs before selling the car with no issues at all, and it's still going strong on the car for the new owner

Last edited:
Depends if you just want to change the cat or do the header too. If its a UK spec EP3 you can buy just the downpipe and cat or decat pipe from Japspeed or Tegiwa do them now too.

A SARD brand cat Im sure is only for a JDM spec EP3 which uses the same set up as a DC5 header and cat. The UK spec header and cat is different to the JDM.

If you are changing header and cat as said Piper do a manifold with either sports cat or decat and so do Solid Fabrications.

If you want to solely run a decat, change to a 421 like DC sports as said or Toda/ Tegiwa etc depending on budget.

You will need a remap for a decat or header sports cat and also decat will not pass an MOT emissions test unless you have a friendly tester .

Some have reported MOT failures with sports cats too, they need to be hot for them to pass but others have had no issues.

Hope this helps .

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Depends if you just want to change the cat or do the header too. If its a UK spec EP3 you can buy just the downpipe and cat or decat pipe from Japspeed or Tegiwa do them now too.

A SARD brand cat Im sure is only for a JDM spec EP3 which uses the same set up as a DC5 header and cat. The UK spec header and cat is different to the JDM.

If you are changing header and cat as said Piper do a manifold with either sports cat or decat and so do Solid Fabrications.

If you want to solely run a decat, change to a 421 like DC sports as said or Toda/ Tegiwa etc depending on budget.

You will need a remap for a decat or header sports cat and also decat will not pass an MOT emissions test unless you have a friendly tester .

Some have reported MOT failures with sports cats too, they need to be hot for them to pass but others have had no issues.

Hope this helps .

Bro thank you for all of your suggestions I have plenty to choose from there.
Yes im living in the uk and that is where my ep3 is from , I was not aware I would need to do a remap if I do a decat , I would like to change the header and get the decat pipe at the same time but the car also needs a full service , valve clearance to be done and new front tyres and also MOT done in March as the car was purchased just in the beginning of December and there is a lot to be done but my budget is quite short for all of that but I should have everything done before summer time. My Mot tester he is very friendly so MOT is not a problem at all for me. I think I will be going for the japspeed one as that one is one of the cheapest options even tho I would prefer to get the downpipe from tegiwa but I believe it doesnt fit the standart exhaust , my car is completely stock atm

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase, yeah it can get expensive , I've just bought oil, oil filter, discs and pads all round and that alone was like £500 plus I need 4 tyres too so that will take it closer to a grand, I service and do the brakes etc myself though so I save on labour costs and its my weekend toy

Your doing the right thing by servicing it etc first though, Japspeed would be your cheapest option, I would try and get the Japspeed 421, the quality is better than it used to be from them and its very similar to the DC sports 421 if you have a tight budget. You will need a remap though. Some do use O2 sensor spacers or an O2 sim which keeps the EML from coming on but it isnt ideal especially long term.

I'm sure the Tegiwa downpipe will fit the standard header though.

This is a link to the Tegiwa race cat downpipe that should fit the standard header https://www.tegiwaimports.com/selec...race-cat-downpipe-honda-civic-ep3-type-r.html

Link to the Japspeed https://www.japspeed.co.uk/honda-civic-ep3-2-0-type-r-00-05-exhaust-decat-downpipe

Link to the Japspeed 421 https://www.japspeed.co.uk/honda-civic-ep3-2-0-type-r-00-05-4-2-1-exhaust-manifold

If you are going decat route on a budget I would go with the later as you will get maximum performance and build as you go on, but try and get a map as well if you can.

Thanks for all the help mate I am quite sure the one im going to get is going to be the 421 from japspeed and get it mapped as well . I will only do the small bits to the car myself everything else I need to get someone to do it as I dont have much free time and I need the car as well because I use it daily . My problem is I just want to get everything done in once as I am one of those people who likes everything to be 100%with my car allways , but I will probably have to do bits by bits but I will get there eventually :) . I already had to fix the abs after purchasing the car and thats done everyhting else will be done with time also when I do get my decat I will post here the outcome for future recommendation for people.

No problem

Im the same I like my cars to be the best I can get them and I am also impatient

Keep us updated, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here if you need advice/help

Hi everyone , just updating you guys on my decat purchase I bought myself the 421 manifold with decat down pipe from japspeed and has been about 2 weeks and a few days since it was fitted to the car and I had no issues so far, the car is giving me a better response now (also because the guy who fitted the decat adjusted the accelerator cable) and it doesn't sound too loud but it makes some nice pops when changing gear in high revs . The car actually had a decat pipe previously I dont now why the garage I took the car for a diagnostic could not see it was a decat and they just told me the catalytic converter was broken inside lol (they are not good for this cars I guess) , anyway the previous decat was badly fitted and there was a gap somewhere between the previous decat and exhaust that is why the car was so loud . I am happy with my choice even tho I was told by the mechanic who installed the new japspeed decat that he had one before in his ep3 running a k24 swap a few years ago and it broke just after a few days but japspeed sent another one for him straight away but so far no issues with my one it was a cheap option and good one I have to say , better than just buying the decat down pipe because for 250£ you can get the decat and 421 manifold all in one . thanks everyone for the suggestions specially to shoonk .

Last edited:
Wow not realizing there was already a decat fitted, most people especially garages should know that

Congrats on the purchase, I think Japspeed did have a quality issue at some point I heard but they seem to have sorted it all now and quality has vastly improved.

Next thing to check is if it was mapped previously then or try and get a map on it.

No issues with the help mate glad to help

Back