• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 feels unsteady at high speeds

Ljw

Ive got a 2003 ep3, my car has eibach springs, frsu and stoptech brake conversion. Latley ive been doing alot of long distance driving, ive noticed when increasing the speed (motorway speeds) it starts to feel like almost the wheels are going to fall off? Does not feel comfortable at all or planted when driving at high speeds in a strieght line. Almost feels if i go any faster either the engine will blow up or the front wheels will come off? But normally its fine

Wheels falling off and engine going to blow up are two distinctly different sensations!

Have you checked the obvious like wheel nuts being tight and tyre pressures are correct. Try rotating the tyres as a pair may have gone off if you have put a lot of heat through them.

Are your brakes binding which is labouring the engine and putting a lot if heat into the wheels and tyres affecting the pressures etc.

It's quite hard to explain but it feels aso when at motorway speeds it just feels like it doesnt like it but below that it seems steady and planted

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the car seem to wander around on the road? Like it's hard to just stay in a straight line?

i have yokehoma tyres fitted all around, no it doesnt wonder it just feels like the wheels are almost bobbling at the front, and it seems like theres a lack of control, its hard to explain im probibly just better off taking it into a garage... its like the car cant cope when going quickly

long reply, ended up being a faulty steering rack, which i had replaced now feels positive.

Great scott, please change post #3 to 88mph....... The amount of potential memes are making my head hurt....

There was a few things wrong with the car at the time as it was left standing for a while. I bought the rack and second hand and had 6 months warranty it was £110 and then i had it fitted £150...also the other reasons was the Front stop-tech pads which had a lot of crap on them (from the car standing) and made the car judder under braking at higher speeds, and due to the surface of them being rough they were making noise on the discs even when not braking due to the pads being slightly stuck on and scraping which was the sound coming from the front of the car... didn't think it was the brakes at all at first because under low speeds it didn't make any noise.... however when going motorway speeds there was a 'wuring sound' which me knowing nothing about mechanics or cars i thought it was coming from the engine ahah. Also the rear callipers and front brakes were sticking on slightly which was causing the engine to work harder to get up to speed, which is why it felt like it was struggling. I had stop-tech disks and pads on rear but standard calliper on rear...changed discs, pads and callipers and just went for pagid brand all on the rear...which i can report has been brilliant. I changed the pads at front i think to ferodo ds2500...and the car felt tight and positive on motorway journeys with the changed rack (and slider i think i can't remember) aswell... no issues to report off...other than i am now changing back to a new pair of stop-tech pads asap as when they were on and working they were brilliant in my personal experience.

Back