• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 values

Hi folks
Got a 2002 ep3 1 owner car with full service history with around 100k.
Owned since new and never been abused or tracked.
the problem I have is it’s due it’s mot next month and the clutch decided to die on me.
could be clutch master cylinder or the clutch itself.
anyway due to it being 19 years old it’s a bit soft/rusty underneath, body panels are fine with no bubbling apart from some lacquer peel.
is it worth fixing and selling on as a working car with a years mot or selling it’s spares and repairs or break the car myself and sell the pieces?
What’s it worth as a working car with mot?
What’s it worth as spares and repairs?

cheers
A

Hi folks
the problem I have is it’s due it’s mot next month and the clutch decided to die on me.
anyway due to it being 19 years old it’s a bit soft/rusty underneath, body panels are fine with no bubbling apart from some lacquer peel.
is it worth fixing and selling on as a working car with a years mot or selling it’s spares and repairs or break the car myself and sell the pieces?

cheers
A
Hi folks

cheers
A

The markets all over the place, the issue you have is the bubbles already started to burst and people are not willing to over pay for cars with the ever increasing costs of living (which are only worsening as we speak).

It would / should be a easy to see if it's the clutch of the master cylinder, if the latter I would deff get it done as it's a cheap job, the clutch however is not expensive but you'd have to factor it in if selling, but again not many people are willing to buy cars that are still broken (unless they are traders, breakers etc) who are going to offer you less anyway.

The price is all down to you, what you think it's worth and hat you'd be happy getting for it at the end of the day, there is no set price it's worth due to the state of the market and so many dreamers trying to over price and sell their cars, which in reality are not and do not sell. DC5's are in the same trouble, mine sold in 12hrs and for a very good price I was happy with, all those since up for 2-8k more are not selling and have been for sale for months, some since mine went up for sale and a couple of owners who believed their cars were 20K cars have had to break them as they were clearly NOT 20k cars as it's only a 20K car if someone pays you that.

In my opinion, I would take it to Somewhere like Area Motorsport and have the clutch changed, its quite rare for the master cylinder to fail on an Ep3. Clutch change will be about £350 all in and then your Ep3 will be worth a whole lot more then if you was to sell it as it is or break for parts.
Once the clutch is fixed, If it’s quite clean on the outside, I would say it will sell for between 3.5 - 4.5 k

Body work is a bit rough. Lacquer peel which seems common on red ones. Last years mot was noted that there’s a bit of rust it. had a clutch master cylinder about 18 months ago so the fact it’s doing the same thing says something else is probably wrong. Don’t want to chuck good money after bad.
It’s 19-20 year old after all. Was one of the early ones with a factory number around 9000.
maybe see if any lotus guys wanting it for an engine swap.
Only good bit is a genuine mugen twin loop exhaust which has done maybe 20ks. Came off my mates car and been in storage till I fitted it a while back.

I was wondering this.
I have a 2005 EP3 Premier Edition in Milano with 168k that needs a clutch and a rear screen (don’t ask!). Also needs the cat replacing (which I have) after some thieves tried to cut it off!
Stuck mine up for sale and have had just absolute morons who I avoid.
It’s ideal for a track car really but I don’t want it scrapped (all those idiots who seem to call are clearly breakers).

I was wondering this.
I have a 2005 EP3 Premier Edition in Milano with 168k that needs a clutch and a rear screen (don’t ask!). Also needs the cat replacing (which I have) after some thieves tried to cut it off!
Stuck mine up for sale and have had just absolute morons who I avoid.
It’s ideal for a track car really but I don’t want it scrapped (all those idiots who seem to call are clearly breakers).
I’ve been spending the last few weeks trawling for another EP3 , preferably a Premier. I saw this pop up. Such a shame they trashed so much while going for the cat!

The markets all over the place, the issue you have is the bubbles already started to burst and people are not willing to over pay for cars with the ever increasing costs of living (which are only worsening as we speak).

It would / should be a easy to see if it's the clutch of the master cylinder, if the latter I would deff get it done as it's a cheap job, the clutch however is not expensive but you'd have to factor it in if selling, but again not many people are willing to buy cars that are still broken (unless they are traders, breakers etc) who are going to offer you less anyway.

The price is all down to you, what you think it's worth and hat you'd be happy getting for it at the end of the day, there is no set price it's worth due to the state of the market and so many dreamers trying to over price and sell their cars, which in reality are not and do not sell. DC5's are in the same trouble, mine sold in 12hrs and for a very good price I was happy with, all those since up for 2-8k more are not selling and have been for sale for months, some since mine went up for sale and a couple of owners who believed their cars were 20K cars have had to break them as they were clearly NOT 20k cars as it's only a 20K car if someone pays you that.

Agree with this. I’m looking for an EP3. The prices are all over the place. Looking at the MOT history of some of the high priced offerings is eye opening. And if it is a premier people are looking for top dollar, even if it’s a rust bucket underneath. It’s a minefield.

When was the premium edition from? Is prem = facelift? We're there 2 or 3 ep3 editions? I have a 2003 ep3 what category would that be?

Facelift was at some point in 2003.
Premiere was near the end of production - 2005?

There is some info about the changes on the jdm4all site - it also links to the goo-net catalog which has tons of info.

I quite like the Honda Japan site, it's got a whole archive of cars, the press releases and lots of information.

[1] - https://www.honda.co.jp/auto-archive/
[2] - https://www.honda.co.jp/news/2001/4011018c-civic.html
[3] - https://www.honda.co.jp/news/2004/4040122-civic.html
[4] - https://www.honda.co.jp/auto-archive/civic/type-r/2005/

Back