• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 won't start

Hi all,

My EP3 has been parked up for a few months and have done some work on it whilst it's been parked up, mainly exhaust system.
Went to start it over the weekend (battery fully charged) and it wouldn't start. More specifically it was struggling to turn over, like when the battery is low. When trying to start it does seem to squeak for a split second before turning over.
Lights on the dashboard all come one, fuel pump primes and battery was reading fine with a multimeter.
Is there any way of checking the starter motor or similar? Or anything else that'd be worth checking?
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It should start with a seized alternator. It could still be that the battery is goosed, how old is it? Testing car battery voltages with a multimeter won't tell you much - you need a proper testing kit to simulate the load needed to turn an engine. If it's sufficiently dead then you'll need a donating car giving some decent revs to provide enough juice to start yours.

I'd say around 4-5 years old now. Ok will take the battery somewhere for testing.
Should the car not have started with a jump even if it is goosed?

Should the car not have started with a jump even if it is goosed?
This is a long, long time ago, but a mate of mine had an RX7 and the battery died when he was away on deployment. We tried to jump start it with my DC5 at the time and I remember having to keep the revs as high as the idle limiter would allow for a few minutes before it would start.

MY battery died 6 months ago on my crapy Vauxhall after being sat for months and months, it was that dead even the AA van could not jump start it! No option but to replace the battery, doors wouldn't even lock.

All the door locks, dashboard lights etc work as normal, the car just doesn't seem to be getting enough power to crank over properly.
Will get it tested and go from there.
Does anyone know if you can free up a seized alternator is it better to jsut replace it?

Does anyone know if you can free up a seized alternator is it better to jsut replace it?
There's a few videos on YouTube, but if it's the original I'd be inclined to get it refurbished or replaced.

Turns out the battery is fine, what looks to be the problem was the isolation switch I was using. Guessing the connection wasn't as secure as I thought or there's an issue with it. But it's all good now
ce61e08e92e87f772fd1b22b0679d267.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back