• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fault Code Reader

If you have an Android phone I'd strongly recommend a bluetooth OBD 2 reader and the Torque app.

For a decent reader the cost will be a bit higher but the software keeps getting upgraded, the codes are decoded for you into something meaningful and you can use it as a real-time monitor of other things (and a trip-logger, data-collector, etc.).

https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters - I'd personally recommend the Scantool OBDLink LX, but you can certainly go much cheaper than that (like, a tenner all-up) and still have something useful for just reading codes (rather than real-time monitoring and additional features).

Thanks Mike.h, unfortunately I am an apple man. Does the Torque app not exist on Apple. Had a quick look and can't find it.

That's... unfortunate :/

There are some apps that try to do something similar, but nowhere near as good and more expensive. Plus with Apple you can't use a bluetooth-based code-reader and instead need a (more expensive) WiFi one (since Apple in their infinite wisdom decided BT is just for audio).

Sorry. Good luck on the hunt for a decent reader.

If you want something cheap that is able to read and erase codes then the Autel Maxiscan can be had for about 11-13 quid posted on eBay.

It's a handy bit of kit. Doesn't do live data but for general diagnosis and erasing codes it's great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered from Hong Kong. Due to arrive at some point in October.

Just seen the UK sellers are over 20 quid!

Shame you used to be able to get one for 12 quid and was posted in a couple of days .

Can't go wrong for the dosh though, mine has paid for its self time and time again in saved diagnostics charges from the local garage

Really handy when buying cars too

Just seen the UK sellers are over 20 quid!

Can't go wrong for the dosh

I didn't actually see any real UK seller, all the UK sellers I found had estimated delivery times of about 6 weeks, so still shipped from Hong Kong. I have just had another look and I see there is a couple of sellers with 3 day shipping times around £20, which I may have gone for. But then again I am a skinflint, so probably not.

Paid £10 so as you say can't go wrong! Thanks for the info.

I didn't actually see any real UK seller, all the UK sellers I found had estimated delivery times of about 6 weeks, so still shipped from Hong Kong. I have just had another look and I see there is a couple of sellers with 3 day shipping times around £20, which I may have gone for. But then again I am a skinflint, so probably not.

Paid £10 so as you say can't go wrong! Thanks for the info.

No bother. Sure you will be happy with it mate for ten notes

Back