• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 or CL7.....Which one?

I have narrowed my car choices down to these two models having considered Evo 9 Wagon, Scoobie Forester STi or Nissan Stagea 260RS. The reason for my two Honda choices (FD2 Type R or CL7 Euro R) are the fact both are NA's so no turbo worries, better service intervals, reliabilty and looks. I am a family man so need a four door car.

In everyones opinion which is the better option? The car would be my daily but my commute would only be 30/40 miles everyday then have some fun on the weekends. Any help or opinions in helping me to choose would be great.

That is the only thing that makes me think about the Euro R but I don't want to be in the position where I buy the cheaper car but after 6/12 months wish I'd spend a bit more on the FD2 for more fun factor. Does anyone have an FD2 as a daily family car?

Loxy just sold his, he didn't have it long and did not give it a glowing review. That said, everyone else I've known to have owned one absolutely gushed about it. It all comes down to individual preference, test drive is the only way!

My only other concern is space inside for passengers if I'm driving as I'm 6'4". I know it might sound a bit odd but my grandad owns the Civic Hybrid (same shape as Type R FD2) would the space be exactly the same or do the Type R seats take up less/more room when pushed fully back? I don't suppose anyone owns an FD2 near me do they?

would the space be exactly the same or do the Type R seats take up less/more room when pushed fully back?

Same, same floor plan and seating mounts except the rear bench only has two seats on it.

As a 4 door family car I wouldn't pick the FD2. It is very basic inside and the ride is particularly harsh if you are considering carting the family around.

CL7 if I was picking a fast family orientated Honda and it had to be 4/5 door.

Then again, you could get a UK Accord 2.4 EX and put a set of K20a cams in it. You'd have around 220 bhp and close to 200 ftlb then and revvy car with all the luxuries. Just a thought, speak to Paul at TDi North about it, I did and was very tempted to be honest.

I'm getting the feeling from this that the CL7 would be the more practical choice if choosing with head, or as Loxy has just mentioned (thanks for the help) camming up a UK spec Accord. But perhaps if choosing with heart the FD2 for a proper Type R car more for weekend fun and a commute on my own? Really I need to convince the missus to let her C2 go and perhaps get a FN2 then that can be the family car and I'll have the FD2 as my toy. :lol:

FD2 as a weekend toy definitely. You'd have to spend a lot modding an FN2 or CL7 to get close to it to be honest, but then they are a lot more to start with.

FD2s do seem to be appreciating though, so you've got to think of that too. CL7s won't come down much more when you think it costs around £4-4.5k to get a car into the county from an importer (dependent on their fee) anyway.

I've seen Torque-GT have got an FD2 for £13,600 at the moment and a Euro R for just under £8000 I think but every time I look at both the cars I always lean towards the FD2, there's just something about. Just been reading through your thread on your blue pearl one, looks a lovely car.

Has anyone gone down the route of a personal import on any of these cars?

I'd go for the CL7. I think the suspension on the standard FD2 would wear thin doing that sort of mileage on UK roads, the CL7 will be much more compliant.

I think the FD2 is somewhat overrated and overpriced as a result.

:getcoat:

I used my FD2 as a daily. I thought it was fine once I'd changed the rear shocks.

They are somewhat over priced still though. They don't seem to be dropping.

You could make a cracking CL7 with change left over.

I can see what you might mean about the suspension on the FD2, I imagine it would similar to the Clio RS200 on cup chassis that I had.

That euro r does look nice, only problem would be it's in Glaagow and I'm about 20 miles south of Birmingham. What sort of mods would be needed to get the accord close to a proper type r? I've seen a video of a tuned CL7 keeping a DC5 honest but that had had double wishbone conversion on the back, coilover system, exhaust system and a few other tweaks I think.

The CL7 has the same engine & transmission as a DC5 IIRC and the Recaros found the ATR that was sold in the UK, so it could be classed as a proper Type R.

Why don't you test drive one and see what you think? I have the Mk8 Accord 2.2 i-DTEC as my daily and the chassis is superb for a family car. My previous CH1 Type R was fantastic and IMO a better drive than an EP3.

The Accord in Type-R and Euro-R guises is often overlooked.

I've not driven a CL7 but I've heard it's more than capable for the road. Spoke to a guy at Japfest and he was really please with it and came from a DC5.

The CL7 is on my list for my next car and I'm in a similar position to the OP, as in I want a four door for the family but still something entertaining.

Back