• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ferodo ds2500 and goodridge hoses

just got my new pads and i see that they do not come with the backing plates like the honda pads do, also on the honda pads their is a metal clip that sticks out :confused:
will i need them when i put these on? if so will using the current ones on the car be ok?

ive seen some stainless steel goodridge hoses in red for £75 and from searching the internet it seems to be a good price, anybody else seen them cheaper anywhere?

The Plates you can reuse if not damaged or in bad condition, there mostly slliencing shims. Rattles a bit if no fitted, but no big deal. The metal bit sticking out is a wear indicator. (squeeks to let know its almost non serviceable). You don't technically need this... just keep an eye on pads as they wear low.

oh i see, thanks mate :)
i will try to use the current ones then, shouldnt be to worn out hopefully!

anybody got these hose lines??

Yeah re-use the shims, they're to stop the brakes sequeeling and don't really wear out...

Oh i got the hoses too.. but I brought them when they were 1st avaliable for the car, i paid around £120...

cool :D

the standard honda disks are very good from what i have heard but the standard pads are poo as i have found they fade quickly!
i am hoping that with these ferodo pads and goodridge hose lines the brakes well be better and feel solid for longer :)

all fitted and done lol been bedding in for about 30miles now, and although its all been bleeded properly its not as solid as i thought it would be :confused: however still a big improvement over the standard setup! my old pads had about 20% left and as i took them out the pad crumbled :eek:

they are also nice and silent compared to the honda pads, which made a scraping sound when braking!!

car is on 30k miles now and still on orginal front disks as far as im aware and they are not even half worn yet :eek:

Type R magik you said you been bedding them in for 30 miles, i take it you havent followed or were unaware of the bedding in procedure for DS2500s?? They are not like other pads which you need to go gentle on for the first 100 miles these need to exact opposite and the bedding in is done very quickly. I am not sure if the process is on here but i can give you a run down of how to do it if you need it.

i have bedded them in properly now i think, did about 15 hard brakes for about 4 seconds each, continously in a row without letting them cool down and then a 10 min drive with hardly any braking, they were really hot and could smell them!!

but the pedal feel is still the same :confused: its more solid and firm compared to my last worn out pads and standard hoses but not as much as i thought it would be, the pedal still travels down about one 3rd of the way before the braking is felt and is still slightly spongy!

also, its strange, after i bleeded them the pedal was solid but then soon as turn ignition on and start engine the pedal becomes soft again :confused:

Yeah your bedding in was fine. Mine were very very hot and a slight haze coming off them when i had finished. I would say that if the pedal goes soft when the car is started then it is something up with the master cylinder on the brakes rahter than the pads or the rest of the braking system. Unless of course there is still some trapped air in the system. How did you bleed the brakes?

:eek:

actually sorry i was not fully clear earlier, i bleeded each wheel twice using a simple halfords kit, just a pot with a tube on it basically, when i bleeded the final wheel, the rear left, i let the resivior get to low by accident, and air got into the system :mad: so i ended up bleeding every wheel again! pressed the pedal a good 15 times to get enough fluid through again, and tube had no bubbles, was this enough? pedal was solid so i thought it was but when start car up the pedal goes soft and lower again :confused:

but i cant remember but i think the pedal has always been like that :confused:

do any of your cars do this??

also did i bleed them in the right order, because i think that might be the issue :confused:
front left, front right, rear right rear left! in a clockwise motion around the car basically?

i have read that its normal for the the pedal to get a bit softer once engine starts up, something to do with a pressure vacuum which is present when engine is on

Last edited by a moderator:
New pads on old disc would feel slightly spongy, did u file the edges of the pad ** fitting? do this if u have 'lipped' disc.. cause if the disc is lipped, your new pads are only in contact with the lipped bit.. not the full surface of the disc.....

Hey mate, I changed my OEM's for DS2500 about a week ago, for bedding in, I just braked like crazy for several miles, my discs were literally smoking...

Day after, I just rode normally and no problems whatsoever. No strange noises at all, and braking power like it's some kind of racecar. Can activate ABS at 100mph and come to complete stop in maybe 80meters without using engine brake, and that was NO way possible with my stock pads.
I have no steel brake hoses and just regular brake fluid. So I'm impressed already by those pads !

hmm their is definitely something wrong with my set up then lol its no were near as powerfull as you described mate :eek:

had them for over a week now and its still the same!
and i did not file of the egde for the lipped disc but i think the pads will eventually wear into the shape anyway :confused:

when i first got the car and on standard setup the pedal used to be SOLID and high biting point, year and half later biting point is low and so is the braking power, but i thought this was simply because the pads were getting worn, but it appears to not be the case here :mad: unless their could be something else wrong, i am considering buying one of those advanced bleeding pump kits :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
My pedal doesn't feel 100% solid though, but it was even worse with the stock pads, so no problem there. But the braking power is something different, almost seems unreal compared to stock. I think using wider tires (running on cheap 205's now) it will even improve more.

However, when driving granny-style, the pads perform no more than stock and can feel bit sluggish, but after some corners, they brake like crazy.

if you pump the pedal with engine not running, you indeed feel more and more pressure, but when starting the car, it gets softer again, that's normal indeed, but you shouldn't actually see your pedal lower. That's not normal as far as I know :)

Back