• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fixed but still not perfect

Driving on motorway, power low, no warning lights, start to hear missfire. Stop at services. Car cooled down, won't start.

132k miles, going to check spark plugs and leads and then onto distributor today.

any other suggestions? Thanks. Russell

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked plugs, one was nasty, no spark at any plug with any lead. Not sparking at distributor so going to fit new plugs and distributor

Thanks for the reply, do you know of a decent place that can do this. I am able to search on Google but if there is a place you recommend.......

New dizzy , plugs and leads on their way, will update this once all the parts are fitted. Found a website called ignitioncarparts.co.uk selling new, and reconditioned dizzys. For sensible prices

Fitted the parts listed above but still a misfire and running on 3 cylinders. Had a look with the garage and it's suspected a burnt exhaust valve that's been causing the problems. The heads coming off tomorrow to see what's going on.

Burnt out valves with pics

So the head came off today, I'll let the pics do the talking :-(

as you can see, the cylinder walls still have the original honing marks on them, cylinder number 3 has the worst burnt out valves, number 4 exhaust valves don't look too good. Just deciding what the best plan of action is , 8 exhaust valves from Honda are £400 but I think 16 valves from skunk 2 are £250. I'm thinking while the head is off and because 16 are cheaper than 8 I think I'll have all 16 replaced. I'm going to see if I can get 8 skunk2 exhaust valves because all the intake valves are ok but I think they only come as a set of 16.

The valve burning has been caused because it's been running lean. I have been told because of the fuel. I have recently been using tesco momentum 99 but in the past it's had mixtures of fuel. It has a de cat pipe. Tegiwa air intake and a decent exhaust manifold, I'm looking to get it mapped once the head work is done. And only run it on shell v power. Any thoughts?

Clean it up, skim the head and go for a buddyclub valve set. Then NepTune on a demon ECU and enjoy!

How long have you been running the mods without a remap?

have had the tegiwa intake kit for around 1.5 years
decat around 1.5 years
manifold around 1 year

so bits have been on for a while, its done a lot of motorway miles the past year. sometimes on 95 sometimes 99 , i was told by mechanic that sometimes the 99 octane fuel doesn't give a decent burn from the supermarket petrol.

lesson learned it will be having vpower from now, also going to get fueling checked on rr , will have to speak to eurospec as they are around the corner from me.

car has never been mapped, i though that as the mods were only light breathing mods the ecu would adjust for this small amount, but seems maybe not!

i'd put my money on it being you running a decat for a year and a half and not getting it mapped, not the fuel...

My God.

Is this actual proof that just strapping things to your car without adjusting the fuelling, does actually damage it ??

Ely62 - Dude, sorry for your misfortune on this but this is an extremely informative thread.

In fairness, there's Irish Touring cars running for 2 seasons on B series engines, both B16 and B18 in touring and super touring with intake, exhaust manifold and Decat on OEM ECU and they haven't blown up yet. :D

In reality there is a guy here with a K20 that has been running lean for the past 1.5 years.

Possibly due to the mods having increased his airflow but the ECU not adjusting accordingly and has burnt out his valves.

For years tuners have been telling me and million other Honda owners not to make heaving breathing changes without adjusting the fuelling.

People have lol'd.

This is perhaps evidence of that advice.

My DC5 ran an ITG, Decat, buddyclub header and 70mm throttle body for 40k and I never had an issue with AFR's. Obviously it was far better once KPro'd but it was still safe. I was running a bottle of Millers CVL in every tank.

I would put this down to not having it mapped to the mods and it running lean. I just cant see how swapping from 95 to 99ron will make that much difference.

I thought that I had only made what I persieved to be light breathing mods. I WILL update this thread after it's all back together and rolling roaded with afr checked. I spoke with the dyno place and they recommended that I had the injectors sonic cleaned and flow tested first before rr so that's what I will do! Hopefully when the final results are in other people can learn from my misfortune . It is my first honda so all a learning curve.

Back