• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Speed bump noise when slightly too fast.

Good afternoon everyone.

So I bought my second FK2 last week which is a very tidy 2016, 20k miles example in "Polished Metal Metallic" (ridiculous name).
I pre-ordered my original one back in 2015 and then sold it two years later. This was obviously the biggest mistake of my life so buying a low mileage tidy model now is a dream come true (again).

I have a quick question. We all know the FK2 makes some strange noises which Honda write of as completely normal. This car makes a very specific noise when going over speed bumps slightly too fast, which I do not remember my original FK2 making. It sounds like a metallic twanging noise. I know I haven't described it particularly well but that's the best I can do. If you slow down and go over the same speed bump at a sensible speed (say around 10mph) there are no noises at all.

The noise only seems to happen going over sharp speed bumps at an uncomfortable speed. i.e. around 15mph. My last car was a Nissan Navara and I forgot quite how much you have to slow down for speed bumps.

Right now I am not particularly concerned. The car seems to drive absolutely spot on even on dodgy UK B roads when worked hard. There are no dodgy suspension noises or handling issues, the service and MOT history are good and the HPI check came back good.

Basically I am just wondering if this is a normal noise they make or if i need to get it straight into the nearest Honda dealership?

Hi, I went over one of Asdas huge speed bumps, they're kinda very steep and I got what sounded like a metallic clunk! Which seemed to eminate from the near side front. So I took my polished metal metallic type r to my mates garage and had it up on the ramps and went through the underside with a fine toothcombe and all checked out ok. I just wondered if it was the suspension hitting the bumpstops. Or left bumpstop. I haven't heard it since,but then I make a point of going over speed bumps DEAD SLOW. It might also have been the front splitter or the rubber strakes, the flaps just in front of the front wheels. On the 9th gen std Civic and on the fk2 the distance from the wheels to the front of the car is quite long so there is a overhang so to speak and is vulnerable to catching if you go over a steep hump as the suspension will compress slightly well that depends on your speed the faster you go the more weight goes up and then comes down. Not had any problems going over any ramps again as I say I just go over dead slow. Funny enough I got my fk2 late 2018 with 17000 miles on the clock and now in 2021 I've only got 22500 on the clock. Polished metal metallic is a stunning colour. Regards Fred.

Hi, I went over one of Asdas huge speed bumps, they're kinda very steep and I got what sounded like a metallic clunk! Which seemed to eminate from the near side front. So I took my polished metal metallic type r to my mates garage and had it up on the ramps and went through the underside with a fine toothcombe and all checked out ok. I just wondered if it was the suspension hitting the bumpstops. Or left bumpstop. I haven't heard it since,but then I make a point of going over speed bumps DEAD SLOW. It might also have been the front splitter or the rubber strakes, the flaps just in front of the front wheels. On the 9th gen std Civic and on the fk2 the distance from the wheels to the front of the car is quite long so there is a overhang so to speak and is vulnerable to catching if you go over a steep hump as the suspension will compress slightly well that depends on your speed the faster you go the more weight goes up and then comes down. Not had any problems going over any ramps again as I say I just go over dead slow. Funny enough I got my fk2 late 2018 with 17000 miles on the clock and now in 2021 I've only got 22500 on the clock. Polished metal metallic is a stunning colour. Regards Fred.
Thanks for the input Fred and sorry for the late reply.

So I have identified that this only happens if the car is cold. It is especially noticeable on cold days and mornings. Once i have been driving the car for about 30 minutes the problem stops. I have done some more reading on this and i reckon its the lubrication on the front right suspension control arm. I reckon it needs more grease.

Back