• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Fk8 current values

I’ve owned the S3 and driven the Golf, neither would be a suitable replacement for someone who owned a CTR. Unless the CTR was too exciting/involving to drive!

I doubt the Merc would suit either IMO.

To be honest (although I had three fk8’s)

One was rejected (very early model - shite gearbox)

The other was it’s replacement but I sold as I didn’t want the aggro of having to reject again.. although it appeared to be problem free

The third didn’t give me any issues either but I came to realise after owning my original (none comp) M2 that I was more in to quality .. also maybe realising that a 41 year old man doesn’t suit that sort of car..

These days I prefer my creature comforts and don’t really miss the FK8.. the Honda I miss the most is probably my DC5.

The other was it’s replacement but I sold as I didn’t want the aggro of having to reject again.. although it appeared to be problem free

The third didn’t give me any issues either but I came to realise after owning my original (none comp) M2 that I was more in to quality .. also maybe realising that a 41 year old man doesn’t suit that sort of car..

These days I prefer my creature comforts and don’t really miss the FK8.. the Honda I miss the most is probably my DC5.

It says something that you had three in total, you would have been forgiven for bailing altogether after the first one.

I too prefer my creature comforts, but I’ve come to notice that these haven’t been enough to warrant keeping my cars longer than 6 months! Gets expensive when you go through cars like I have.

We’ll see how the FK8 gets on, it’s more comfy and has more creature comforts than the Lotus and the Caterham I was considering. As long as no gearbox issues appear, it should be the perfect ‘fun’ daily driver. I’m the same age as you btw, in my 20s I had M3s and Evos so I view the FK8 simply as a return to form;)

You’ll enjoy the FK8, owing from 3 Elise’s it has been a refreshing experience. Never intended to keep mine this long.

You’ll enjoy the FK8, owing from 3 Elise’s it has been a refreshing experience. Never intended to keep mine this long.

Exactly, and this is why I think it’s a decent choice. A good friend with a background in tuned Elises and recently a GT4 pointed me at the FK8. He’s keen himself.

I approve of your potential choices and in those colours too. Although there’s a lovely dark metallic green option for the Lotus that I think would pip it for me. Keep us posted.

I’m eagerly watching how well received that lotus is once the initial hype is over with. I think if I were to pull the trigger though it will be in another couple years when waiting lists have died down a little, the AMG unit is available and I can be sure it’s not going to depreciate drastically. I like some exclusivity, something that the FK8 has like the DC5 did. I’d like the Lotus to be the same. If every Tom, Dick and Harry has one it’s a little boring.

It says something that you had three in total, you would have been forgiven for bailing altogether after the first one.

I too prefer my creature comforts, but I’ve come to notice that these haven’t been enough to warrant keeping my cars longer than 6 months! Gets expensive when you go through cars like I have.

We’ll see how the FK8 gets on, it’s more comfy and has more creature comforts than the Lotus and the Caterham I was considering. As long as no gearbox issues appear, it should be the perfect ‘fun’ daily driver. I’m the same age as you btw, in my 20s I had M3s and Evos so I view the FK8 simply as a return to form;)

You’re right it is a good car. However as many will agree the way Honda turn a blind eye to the well documented gearbox issues (usually 4th gear locking out from 5th) that plague many of their cars is shocking. I did like the car but that ship has sailed for me now.

Make sure you get an extended test drive with whichever one you choose.

I am in the same boat as yourself currently and the same age lol. Saved loads to buy a high end NSX after missing out on that NSX-R , however I am no longer willing to pay the price they seem to be demanding (although those for sale are not actually selling so to speak).

Considered an R35 GTR after having my two prev GTR's but decided against the silly servicing costs of them.

Sold the DC5 and honestly don't regret it or miss it one bit as it was too far gone for use on the road imo which is why for track I am trying to secure the Ex Touring Car DC2 I have in mind as I think the only car I miss aside from the Lancia Delta is the DC2. However for a road car I am considering an FK8. I drove one the other day and 1st to 2nd was a bit notchy compared to the other gears, no grind or crunch but felt diff so I assume and am worried this could be a possible issue starting. I then also drove the I30N Performance and found it (although slightly slower than the FK8) a far nicer place to be with all the fun handling and grip wise but with elec heated leather seats and steering wheel, all the mod cons as well as more adjustability.

Only concern would be long term values.

How did you find the non Comp M2, I have only driven the Comp (much diff for the money)? It's hard to find a nice rewarding road car that is also fun

I'm 37 so I've got 3 more years of driving around with my silly big wing! I am also very extremely tempted by the Emira, it's been a long time since a sports car has excited me. I too miss my DC5, also my FD2 but I always loved how the Teg looked. I'll get another one day.

Well I'm 51 (don't actually look it) and my two cars are a blue FK2 and a Lotus Elise 111s so two very different types of cars. The FK2 is my daily and the Elise is my track car. I don't miss my DC5 either, had it for 7 years, did about 20 track days and it was on 140k and despite loving it, after my first track day in the Elise, I knew the change was the best decision ever.
I actually find the FK2 a little boring. It's a lovely car, amazing seats, handing, performance, gadgets, practicality and reliability but it lacks a little theatre and does everything with no effort. I know they are totally different cars but you can look at the speedo in the FK2 and find you're doing 100mph and not even feel it but get to 60mph in the Lotus and it feels like 160mph FK2 sounds like a vacuum cleaner with asthma as well. It eats motorway miles so long journeys are awesome and it's so comfortable but as fun daily then it's a bit flat. Not a dull as my Megane 265 Cup though, geez that car was boring. I can't really fault the FK2, I just like a little more personality in my cars. I also think it looks quite soft these days and not so Halfords parts bin as when they first came out. I'm toying with the idea of moving it on but to be honest, to try and find something that's going to be similar in practicality, performance, reliability and more fun is proving difficult.

IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg

Attachments

• image3(3).jpeg
    image3(3).jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 17
Just checked my valuation again, it's up to £33,000 now. That's £5500 more than I paid. Problem is, everything is going for more now, so whatever I buy, unless its old, I'll be giving a few grand more than 12 months ago, so it negates the increase somewhat. Tempting though! Nice to be paid to drive a Type R ;)

I can get a Hyundai I30 N performance and a DC5 Integra for near enough what I've been offered for my FK8. With Carl saying how surprised he was with the Hyundai, Dotty saying he misses his DC5 and me hankering for a DC5 return, a plan is hatching that I need people to talk me out of. Also considering a Megane 275 Trophy, which would actually leave me a few grand in change. Damn you FK8 values!

Last edited:
I can get a Hyundai I30 N performance and a DC5 Integra for near enough what I've been offered for my FK8. With Carl saying how surprised he was with the Hyundai, Dotty saying he misses his DC5 and me hankering for a DC5 return, a plan is hatching that I need people to talk me out of. Also considering a Megane 275 Trophy, which would actually leave me a few grand in change. Damn you FK8 values!

See for me the I30N and the Megane 275 Trophy are far better value for money than an FK8, especially with the amount of issues the FK8's seem to have. I have test driven three, one was on 14K and the 2nd gear syncro was notchy, not crunching yet but felt wrong. So I test drove two more and felt miles better so walked away. The other two I am just not willing to pay the amount for upon reflection.

DC5 is off the list for me as a repeat purchase (unlike many cars I have owned). They are good but not that good and tbh I got bored of it on track as it was just repetitive and I was struggling to better my times and experience after so long in the seat, something I never had with many other cars.

What else have you considered? There are so many options out there it's unreal but for a road car with track warranty also the I30N is a no brainer and with a few tweaks they could be amazing.

I also found that you can by camber and caster topmounts by AST for the I30N off the shelf that are made to fit with the oem electronic dampers so no need to swap the whole setup so to speak (I think that's a pretty good thing tbh). If only they released the I30N Project C here which is the one with 50kg less weight, that would be perfect.

Don't talk yourself out of it, if it feels right and offers what you want do it ;-)

I can get a Hyundai I30 N performance and a DC5 Integra for near enough what I've been offered for my FK8.

I own an i30N and have had two FK8s (MY18 and now LE). The i30N is a step down as a pure driver's car in every area compared to the FK8 but is still a well balanced and highly capable car with no significant weakness except perhaps it's 50-80kg heavier than it needs to be. Overall it's definitely the more well rounded car than the FK8. Given I do have the choice, here's what I use each for:

Daily drive to work: i30N
Shopping run: i30N
Interstate trip: i30N/FK8
Twisty mountain road: FK8
Track day for lap times: FK8
Track day for maximum laps and fun: i30N
Heart over head: FK8
Head over heart: i30N

So pretty much a slight advantage to the i30N.

I'm not really sure what I want really, I love the FK8 but my financial head is leading me at the moment. I want a DC5 again as a car I can keep for a long time, I know it's not that fast comparatively, but it's fast and fun enough for public roads, and it's a special & rare thing.

If I were to go ahead I'd probably be leaning more towards a Megane 275 Trophy - I'd rather have one over a Hyundai I think and for about £5k less, if one comes up. That would still give me a great drivers car, still rare on the road and shouldn't lose heaps of money, and leave me with enough sitting there to snap up an appropriate Integra when it comes up.

I'm not sure chopping in the FK8 for a Trophy and a DC5 screams financial sense to me... Moving to older cars (both arguably less capable than the Civic) and then doubling the insurance, tax, mot, servicing costs etc.

Fair enough if you got a runabout and a DC5, I can maybe see some potential savings there. Sorry, just my thoughts...it's not as if the FK8 is expensive to run either.

My ideal plan would be to keep the FK8 and have a DC5 as a second car to look after and have for a long time that can live in the garage and come out whenever the mood takes. The FK8 would be a daily as it is at the moment. So I would only be replacing the FK8 with the Megane essentially.

Problem is how long would I have to wait to get back into an FK8 again after the increased value bubbles have burst? Probably won't be until after the new Type R has come out. Have to have a think.

My ideal plan would be to keep the FK8 and have a DC5 as a second car to look after and have for a long time that can live in the garage and come out whenever the mood takes. The FK8 would be a daily as it is at the moment. So I would only be replacing the FK8 with the Megane essentially.

Problem is how long would I have to wait to get back into an FK8 again after the increased value bubbles have burst? Probably won't be until after the new Type R has come out. Have to have a think.

If you’re tempted to offload .. there has never been a better time :)

Decided to sell, mine will be going next week, I have thoroughly enjoyed my revisit to the Type R brand after EK9, DC5 but new car coming next year and the Civic is too good to be a daily for me given the winter weather driving I do.

I have great memories of driving it in all weathers, particularly on my 5 visits north of the border and will miss the drive outs with the driving group this winter. Time will tell if prices will continue to rise but for me the timing is just right as doubt I’ll do more than 1k mileage between now and April, need to sort a fun car for my next Scotty trip next month, doh!

on the off chance if anyone wants an HKS has the time to swap it over I’m happy to let it go for a reasonable price, if not will go with the car, I have the original. I live in Penrith but my final drive will be to Oxford next Wednesday, staying at Le Manoir, I have two hours free late morning. Have two spare wheel, one with a scuff and chips the other with chips, with Conti’s o. Message if anyone interested.

Back