• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 Facelift - does it still have issues?

Loving these different perspectives guys, certainly gives you something to think about.

For me, £37,000 was my top limit, as like you all have said, its a Civic at the end of the day.

I was caught between a rock and a hard place, on the car I have now, it needed brakes and pads all round, air con wasnt working (compressor packed up i think) and the clutch was on the way out, so for me it was fork out on a 63 plate car that I hated (family and caravan pulling duties) or get rid and get a car I really wanted.

Yes i could of got something else, something better for £36,990 but this has to be a daily, I need some boot space and I carry passengers a lot, the R just ticked all the boxes.

I was just glad to find the car I did which was not really, really, really overpriced (£40K +).

Cheers all for your insight!

Yes i could of got something else, something better for £36,990 but this has to be a daily, I need some boot space and I carry passengers a lot, the R just ticked all the boxes.

'somthing better' is subjective ;)

I was previously looking at low mileage M5s at £60k+ and Alfa QFs and AMG C63s saloons at £50k+. I wanted to replace my RS6, keep most of the practicalities but gain more fun.

After driving them all I realised they were still a bit too heavy and in the case of the Alfa, too fragile. There was a bit more fun to be had, but surprisingly not a huge amount for cost to change.

The Civic was a real joy to drive. Light, nimble and communicative. Once I'd factored in depreciation, warranty renewals and running costs of the other cars, the Type R was even more appealling.

Are there better cars out there? Perhaps, but as an overall package and at this price? I'm not so sure

:cool:

So, what happens if the prices stay high due to this 'chip shortage bubble' and the new Type R gets ready for release, do Honda price it high?? Otherwise the OTR price of the new car will be the same as some of the 2nd hand 2020 models

We have 18 months at least before the new R is out, that's a fair bit of time for all this nonsense to come to an end IMO.

I guess if the chip shortage continues for much longer, then the next R will be delayed?????

Top chap at Vauxhall said in the news just this week he expects the shortage to go on for at least the rest of this year, so that gives almost all of next for things to settle down.

But then again, these days, what is normal, is this a new normal, and who knows what things will be like in 18 months time.

'somthing better' is subjective ;)

I was previously looking at low mileage M5s at £60k+ and Alfa QFs and AMG C63s saloons at £50k+. I wanted to replace my RS6, keep most of the practicalities but gain more fun.

After driving them all I realised they were still a bit too heavy and in the case of the Alfa, too fragile. There was a bit more fun to be had, but surprisingly not a huge amount for cost to change.

The Civic was a real joy to drive. Light, nimble and communicative. Once I'd factored in depreciation, warranty renewals and running costs of the other cars, the Type R was even more appealling.

Are there better cars out there? Perhaps, but as an overall package and at this price? I'm not so sure

:cool:
This sums up the situation I was in really well. I had a 2017 FK8 from new for 50000 miles - 3 years , thats unprecedented for me ,as anything more than a year is long term . During that time I had an R8 V10+ and a 997.2 GT3 as the 3rd car and still did track days and weekend hoons in the Honda rather than the "special" car.
Then I finally changed it for a C63S wagon last August. I tried to get a new facelift but all sold I was told. Used cars north of £40k and the Merc cost £46k from a franchised dealer. A lot more car for the money I thought.
And that's the point , it is a lot more car , about 400kg more and that is very hard to hide. The engine is epic, its undeniably very fast in a straight line, and handles well .........but, it is NOT as good to drive as the Type R. I need the car to do all the household stuff, ferry around passengers, carry a bike in the back etc as well as take apart my local B roads and have reasonable running costs. The Type R is perhaps 10mpg better, half the tax and 2/3 the insurance and servicing.
So no 2 door M2/M4 , the M5 and even M3s within my budget are very similar to the Merc , and respect to the i30N but it is outgunned and not as good as the mighty Honda is, especially the facelift. Yes Golfs, RS3s, A45's are fine but all of them are inferior to the Civic,
I'm not quite sure what extra kit you could want over and above the GT trim level ? it has more tech than the Merc did.
Back with the new car (to me) yesterday and it is just brilliant, had forgotten just how much fun it is on a decent trip.

Back