• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 Facelift - does it still have issues?

Hi all,

I have done searches on here but it’s hard to distinguish between pre-facelift and facelift variants on the posts.

Im due to go see a 2020 FK8 Facelift with 4800 miles, 11 months old on Monday. I appreciate the pre-facelift had brake / engine coolant issues on track days and that the facelift variant has now addressed these issues. I also know the facelift variant has other tweaks (suspension, LogR, extra styling bits ETC), but what I am struggling to answer is if the gear crunch is solved on the facelift or is that an issue to still check for?

If anybody could clarify that, it would be very much appreciate.

Cheers all.

I don't believe the gear crunch issue was 'solved', it was certainly never referenced as a fix in the facelift model. I actually don't believe Honda even officially confirmed it was an issue.

I guess all you can do it drive the car and see.

There are more leanered owners on here that can probably give you better insight.

I don't believe the gear crunch issue was 'solved', it was certainly never referenced as a fix in the facelift model. I actually don't believe Honda even officially confirmed it was an issue.

I guess all you can do it drive the car and see.

There are more leanered owners on here that can probably give you better insight.

Appreciate the response, cheers.

Haven't had any issues other than bloody stones getting caught between the disc splash plates and discs and it sounds like the exhaust has fallen down and is dragging on the floor. Happened today and was so embarrassing.

Thanks for the response, good to know.

Unless there is anything glaring obviously wrong with the car, will more than likely go for it, 4800 miles, 11 months old, 1 previous owner, just need to check if the fuel pump recall has been done or not?

I had an early pre-facelift from new in 2017, did around 10k miles in it over 2.5 years, and had no issues whatsoever.

I've got a 2021 facelift now, and have had no issues with that either.

Chris.

Cheers for the reply guys, guess it’s not affecting every car. Test drive will find it, if it’s there.

Mine is an April 2019, 12k miles and i've never had issues with the gearbox. (jinxed myself right there!) It's tight when its cold but that is no different to any other manual performance car i've ever driven or owned. I think you would struggle to read any forum for ANY car and not get worried about an issue. They all have them. My problem was the A/C condenser but it was easily fixed under warranty (its a known fault and i think Honda have extended the warranty to 5 years on that part).

I had an F80 M3 and the amount of people who were worried about the 'spun crank hub' issue to the point they didn't buy one. Trouble is it happened to a couple of very vocal people on the forum with very modified cars but everyone thought it was a widespread issue.

Test Drive the car.....then buy it instantly as you will love it!! It should feel tight as a drum. Mine still does now and rattles less than FAR more expensive cars i've owned or driven. Don't worry about it, ENJOY IT!!!

Out of interest, I'm assuming it's normal for the gearshift to be a little "notchy"? Mine certainly can be (brand new facelift) and not just from cold.

Thanks all for your replies.

Travelled from Nottingham to Preston to go see the car yesterday, checked for signs of it being curbed (as per some other poor chap on this forum), threw around the gears as fast as I could after 10 minutes of warming it up and no issues detected, car was sound, so paid a hefty deposit and pick it up on the 29th.

Cant believe my luck with this, was NOT expecting to get a 70 plate, face lift, 11 months old (but 8 months of 1 person owning it), with 4800 miles on the clock for £36,990.

I know its still overpriced but way cheaper than I have seen older pre-facelift cars with more mileage.

Also got even luckier as the 1st and only owner was apparently an old chap who wanted a nice car, didnt do his research, bought this, hated it and part chopped for a Toyota Yaris automatic - he even bought a 5 year service plan and has not even used it (as the car is 11 months old but only had 8 months of ownership), so I got that thrown in too!

Now counting down the days until I can pick her up.

Mine is an April 2019, 12k miles and i've never had issues with the gearbox. (jinxed myself right there!) It's tight when its cold but that is no different to any other manual performance car i've ever driven or owned. I think you would struggle to read any forum for ANY car and not get worried about an issue. They all have them. My problem was the A/C condenser but it was easily fixed under warranty (its a known fault and i think Honda have extended the warranty to 5 years on that part).

I had an F80 M3 and the amount of people who were worried about the 'spun crank hub' issue to the point they didn't buy one. Trouble is it happened to a couple of very vocal people on the forum with very modified cars but everyone thought it was a widespread issue.

Test Drive the car.....then buy it instantly as you will love it!! It should feel tight as a drum. Mine still does now and rattles less than FAR more expensive cars i've owned or driven. Don't worry about it, ENJOY IT!!!

Very true

The only issue with buying now for most is the prices. They are well above the true value of a car and for the wrong reasons, but this seems to be a concern and issue across the board on all second hand cars.

e.g. I30N 10 months ago could be had for 18k, now they are steady around the 24-25k mark whereas the FK8 was mid 20's and now depending on mileage etc hitting the late 20's and early 30's

I am in the market for a car but holding back for a while to see what the market does as I am not specifically 100% wanting an FK8 and with the prices as they are I am hesitant to buy when there are far better cars for the same or similar money

...........buy when there are far better cars for the same or similar money

Please don't take this as some fanboy defensive forum attitude as i'm really not like that, i'm just really interested in this statement. I usually change cars around each 2 years or so and i have to say that i assume you are referring to higher mileage/age cars. As a result of the inflated prices and limited supply across the whole market i'm really struggling to think of what I would buy instead at the mo.

Honestly, i'm just interested as i'm looking :)

I see the point on the £45k, but are they actually selling at that price? The dealer that was selling the fabled '£50k' car has already reduced it to £48k. There's a lot of cars out there now for the mad prices (north of £40k) but not a lot moving.

There's a dealer trying to sell a non facelift 20 reg, 6k mile car for £40k whilst there's a facelift 70 reg, 6k mile car for £37k at another dealer. Lots of people chancing their arm at the mo.

Please don't take this as some fanboy defensive forum attitude as i'm really not like that, i'm just really interested in this statement. I usually change cars around each 2 years or so and i have to say that i assume you are referring to higher mileage/age cars. As a result of the inflated prices and limited supply across the whole market i'm really struggling to think of what I would buy instead at the mo.

Honestly, i'm just interested as i'm looking :)

See I have never bought a new car, I am from a background of RS's, Integrale, GTR's, DC2 and DC5, GT4's GTI-R's and so on so new so to speak to the new car side of things and no offense taken :)

But for me to put it into perspective is that 90% buy these as they are drivers cars offering great reliability and fun along with practicality. The issue I have is the FK2 and FK8 (which I love both, well the FK8 is growing on me slowly) they seem to come with quite a few issues (rust, bad syncro's, imo a poorly designed engine layout putting a rad next to a head mounted turbo and cat and the intake pipe ontp of that (so the two places cold air's wanted are right by the hottest points lol.

For the same or similar money you can get Mustang GT, M2, M4, M3, AMG's, Lotus and many many more or even the I30N. Some may laugh at that but having driving one back to back with the FK8 I can honestly say aside from the hp and a little extra weight it's imo a better car than an FK8 as it's loaded and offers the customisation of the chassis, suspension, engine, exhaust etc that Honda missed. Shame we are never getting the I30N Project C (I think that's what it was called) as that would be amazing.

Then you have alternatives that are older of course, but it all boils down to what one wants from a car and if you always buy new or do so as they are leased, PHP and so on, I buy all my cars outright so don't have the issue of that if that makes sense.

I just think as great as the FK8 is it's not a 30k car in the second hand world, I am close to buying an FK8, Mustang GT or an I30N at present but holding off as I don't want o buy something and then in a few months be in a position to have lost 6k as the market crashed, yeah it's a risk but I don't need to buy so to speak and have the cash waiting for the right car.

Indeed. I saw a boost blue one up for £45k the other day and it definitely is not a £45k car.

My M2C sold for a little over that asking price… (70 plate 4500 miles)

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107305653750

100%, I too have seen this and the other annoying thing I keep seeing is cars in Hong Kong then people saying " look at the values, look at what they are worth now ", these people are clueless and have no idea about the diff taxes, duty and rules in other countries which means the cars prices are marked up (sometimes by 135%).

The FK8 imo is a great car but its not a 40k car

I see the point on the £45k, but are they actually selling at that price? The dealer that was selling the fabled '£50k' car has already reduced it to £48k. There's a lot of cars out there now for the mad prices (north of £40k) but not a lot moving.

There's a dealer trying to sell a non facelift 20 reg, 6k mile car for £40k whilst there's a facelift 70 reg, 6k mile car for £37k at another dealer. Lots of people chancing their arm at the mo.

Spot on comment, you say "are they actually selling at that price" the answers no, the DC5 markets flooded with the same, I even viewed an FD2 thats up for 20k, been in the uk a few years and rust free. Well apart form the whole line of rust I found across the top of the windscreen where the roof meets the rubber seal. Everyone is just overpricing their cars at present and wonder why they don't sell.

Some say my DC5 sold within 12hrs as I under priced it. In reality I did my homework, lined up potential buyers before advertising it, had a full detailed build thread, the car was known and I priced it according to what I personally felt fair based on mileage and condition. I got a lot on the side form the removed spares and mods etc and sold for a total of what people are struggling to get now. So not under priced but sensibly and realistically priced to sell without hassle of dealing with people lol

See I have never bought a new car, I am from a background of RS's, Integrale, GTR's, DC2 and DC5, GT4's GTI-R's and so on so new so to speak to the new car side of things and no offense taken :)

But for me to put it into perspective is that 90% buy these as they are drivers cars offering great reliability and fun along with practicality. The issue I have is the FK2 and FK8 (which I love both, well the FK8 is growing on me slowly) they seem to come with quite a few issues (rust, bad syncro's, imo a poorly designed engine layout putting a rad next to a head mounted turbo and cat and the intake pipe ontp of that (so the two places cold air's wanted are right by the hottest points lol.

For the same or similar money you can get Mustang GT, M2, M4, M3, AMG's, Lotus and many many more or even the I30N. Some may laugh at that but having driving one back to back with the FK8 I can honestly say aside from the hp and a little extra weight it's imo a better car than an FK8 as it's loaded and offers the customisation of the chassis, suspension, engine, exhaust etc that Honda missed. Shame we are never getting the I30N Project C (I think that's what it was called) as that would be amazing.

Then you have alternatives that are older of course, but it all boils down to what one wants from a car and if you always buy new or do so as they are leased, PHP and so on, I buy all my cars outright so don't have the issue of that if that makes sense.

I just think as great as the FK8 is it's not a 30k car in the second hand world, I am close to buying an FK8, Mustang GT or an I30N at present but holding off as I don't want o buy something and then in a few months be in a position to have lost 6k as the market crashed, yeah it's a risk but I don't need to buy so to speak and have the cash waiting for the right car.

Fair shout and appreciate your comment. All valid points. The I30 just didn't feel 'special' to drive to me (purely my opinion!) but can't argue with the equipment point. I will be interested to try the mild facelift just released.
You will note from my comments above that i definitely view the current pricing to be a bubble, but given the values WBAC are offering my dad for his three year old M140i, it's everywhere not just FK8's etc.

Overall, just buy what you want and enjoy it. :) Please don't take my comments as negative. I love a car chat!

Fair shout and appreciate your comment. All valid points. The I30 just didn't feel 'special' to drive to me (purely my opinion!) but can't argue with the equipment point. I will be interested to try the mild facelift just released.
You will note from my comments above that i definitely view the current pricing to be a bubble, but given the values WBAC are offering my dad for his three year old M140i, it's everywhere not just FK8's etc.

Overall, just buy what you want and enjoy it. :) Please don't take my comments as negative. I love a car chat!

No I haven't taken them negatively :)

FK8 or I30 were to be my daily (only the Performance I30 not the normal N as that's well down on power). I have considered all kinds from a 911 GT3 down to the Hyundai which wasn't even on the cards until I say one and found I liked how it looked, it just needs a little more power imo and potentially a little more of an aggressive look (which is where the Project C came in) but we Europe wont be seeing those apparently.

Yeah the prices are up across the board due to a few variables from Covid backlog, to lack of certain chips used in cars (due to manufacturing stopping etc) and then that container ship getting stuck lol. All these knockon's mean the overpriced valuations will be in place for a while but not forever as (for example that Blue Civic being 45k, who pays that?) 45k is a lot of money for mmm a Civic no matter what variant

Back