• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 or FK2?

RickHondaR

R-32840
Well having had both driven neither close to their potential as I still have a clean licence which is best? On paper for sure it is the FK8 and the ring time backs this up but what about real life?

External styling to be fair neither is my cup of tea and are too loud so this comes down to the individual but from the driver's seat I personally feel the FK2 is a nicer place to be and if the imid display was up to date with all the 10G additions with the technology for sure this would be hands down better. The biggest difference to be fair is the ride and in comfort the FK8 is nearly as good as our CRV which is amazing given the tyres.

So what's the best way to sum this up, I think it's like the EP3 FN2 debate as the FK2 for sure is more raw and gives you a smile from driving it like the EP3 was as the FK8 has grown up and more refined just like the FN2 was and for sure in my opinion this is the best way to describe the difference between the two cars. So if I was buying again what would I buy? That's a hard one my gut tells me the FK2 is better value for money and more fun while my fillings tell me the FK8 for the more relaxed drive and the technology even though I do feel the FK2 is a nicer place as a driver. What I will say is the FK2 is well sorted and handles well but the FK8 does seem to be on another level.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are only really going to hear FK8 in this section of the forum.

All I would say I didn't even bother considering FK2 but put a deposit down on an FK8. It is the 'better' car and I'm struggling to think of a review that doesn't back this up. Only you know, all very personal, the price difference is enough to make it a 'better' choice.

How ever if you prefer the FK2 and happy to live in ignorant bliss then that is fine :lol:

Yep, the FK8 has literally smashed every group test where as the fk2 while entertaining was flawed and struggled.....So the better car for most but it's all about personal choice and I think the fk2 will feel faster to many as it's more raw and bounces down the road compared to the super composed 8...

I just couldn't get over the rear wheel illusion, where there is so much bodywork above it, it looks tiny and smaller than the front wheel...so I held off for the 8.

wish the 8 had the induction and lift off noise though

They are the same engine, wonder what it would take to get that sound back!!! Aware different air boxes though...

Both k20c1, I thought that was one of the reasons for the FK2 to test the engines for the fk8

Having owned an FK2 for a year and enjoying every minute I can honestly say the FK8 is better in every way. There is nothing that it hasn't improved on over the FK2. Its a better daily drive, the cockpit is nicer place to be, you sit lower which makes a real difference. It also feels faster than my FK2 and that was 380bhp. Its more composed and confident through the twistys as well. Yet to get it out on track which will be the real test. But I know its going to be faster.

Thats not the impression i got when i took one out the other day..
Granted it is fast but i think as its so comfortable it does not give the same sensation of speed as my current FK2.

I was impressed and will more than likely get one in the next few weeks although i still cant get my head around its looks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thats not the impression i got when i took one out the other day..
Granted it is fast but i think as its so comfortable it does not give the same sensation of speed as my current FK2.

I was impressed and will more than likely get one in the next few weeks although i still cant get my head around its looks.

Each to their own I guess. Its a much better ride so if a rough bumpy and unstable ride is what feels fast then the FK2 will definitely feel faster. In +R mode the FK8 is just as harsh on the country lanes. Just more stable.

The looks have really grown on me. I think it makes the FK2 look dated when they are side by side. Again its a personal thing.

As you say each to there own..
Makes me laugh when some of the previous FK2 owners who thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when they owned one have now decided its crap.

" rough bumpy and unstable ride " come off it man... Lol

I can’t see where he’s mentioned it’s crap

We both had the fk2 and used them as they were made to be used (out of a select few who don’t treat as a show pony ) .. however the game has moved on with the 8 , and as I’ve mentioned previously (and been in one on a circuit) it is the more composed and faster machine, each time they produce a type R it is inevitably going to be better than its previous generation.

Coming from NA Honda’s to an FK2 is noticeable , and moving on from and fk2 to and fk8 is again, noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree Jason, I did think FK2 was the best thing since sliced bread.

And now I think the FK8 is. It’s progressed and improved. It’s what happens when a new version is released. I have driven an FK2 to its limits. They are rough and bumpy. I liked that about it. However they do get out of shape under heavy braking. You will see that if you go and do some.

There is a reason they went from beam to independent at the back and that is it.

Nobody is hating on the FK2 it’s a fantastic car and loved mine. This is a discussion about about which one is better. And I’m afraid it’s the FK8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive test driven 2 fk8's now. The lower driving position is a huge improvment. The comfort mode makes it a better all rounder too. Overall its definetly a step up from the fk2 as i expected it to be. It felt like a grown up Fk2. Did i like it enough to do a deal , No i didnt, but is it a better car, Yes it is. Not done any hard braking in an Fk8 , but my biggest complaint of the fk2 would be the way it behaves under really hard braking, so if the fk8 has fixed that as well, it must be a great package . My fk2 reminds me of my old lancia delta evo , which was a car i always regretted selling and i think for me thats the reason im not going to change from my fk2.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have just sold my track DC5 to get a race car and a road car separately. The Race car is a full blown DC2 race car whereas my road car choices are very wide from an Exige S and 911 GT3 and also the FK2 and FK8 due to their price, performance for price, smiles per miles and cheaper maintenance and running costs etc.

I have read all the above and it's interesting as I prefer the looks of the FK2 and always have and cannot get over the looks of the FK8, but that said when you're driving it you don't see it as such and so are only looking for the best driving experience.

Having come from Lancia Integrale in the past also (and seeing adymi16's post above) that was an interesting read. I have also had GTR's, EVO's, DC2, DC5 etc etc etc and for me the best fun aside from the Lancia were the Honda's for pure driving thrills.

What's people's views on the future valuations however as so little FK2's were released and they seem to be holding and if not going up in value? I need to test drive both soon, one FK2 I have been offered is a non GT which is fine (apart from the Navigation as that's something I do want built in and to not rely on my phone etc).

Anyone able to shed some light on whether that can be sorted and also any more views on the FK2 vs FK8?

Thanks

I love the looks of the fk8 in the flesh and after test driving one was completely sold. Been waiting for mine to be made since 1st Jan, hopefully coming soon. I also love the fk2 and now looking for one to have as my daily. I'd say get both if you can, although if I ever needed to sell one the fk2 would go. I agree the fk2 will probably hold its value better, although the fk8 is the last made in the UK which for me is quite special. I remember going to longeat on holiday as a child and thought it was so cool that the type r's were built in Swindon.

I drove both and finally plumped for the FK8 as I thought, and it’s my own opinion, that the FK2 was a little bit more “raw” when being driven around town or on really slow B roads. The FK8 is a bit more user friendly in these circumstances.

Back