• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 or FK2?

I love the looks of the fk8 in the flesh and after test driving one was completely sold. Been waiting for mine to be made since 1st Jan, hopefully coming soon. I also love the fk2 and now looking for one to have as my daily. I'd say get both if you can, although if I ever needed to sell one the fk2 would go. I agree the fk2 will probably hold its value better, although the fk8 is the last made in the UK which for me is quite special. I remember going to longeat on holiday as a child and thought it was so cool that the type r's were built in Swindon.

I have arranged to view one on Friday and will also be viewing an FK2. I could buy both but deff would not want too, if I was dropping that sort of money I would be buying the 911 GT3 but I cannot seem to find one I like at the moment and it seems half the Exige S's for sale (or that look to be for sale are adverts still up for ones that have already sold).

I drove both and finally plumped for the FK8 as I thought, and it’s my own opinion, that the FK2 was a little bit more “raw” when being driven around town or on really slow B roads. The FK8 is a bit more user friendly in these circumstances.

See Rawness I don't mind as long as it comes with some luxuries lol, but I will deff be driving both by the middle of next week as although I've been in both I have never driven either one. I am aware of the overheating issues which flaws them as track cars so this will be one I keep completely OEM for road use as a daily driver :)

I have considered the FD2 but I cannot get over the looks of that for sure, the DC5 was a far better looking car and so this is where the consideration of the FK2 and 8 came from

I have considered the FD2 but I cannot get over the looks of that for sure, the DC5 was a far better looking car
The FD2 looks grow on you, and apart from the boot space in the DC5 being better with the folding seats, the FD2 is a much better car.

The FD2 looks grow on you, and apart from the boot space in the DC5 being better with the folding seats, the FD2 is a much better car.

Hi mate hope all is well, this is what I was thought and was curious about but the lack of them being available for a viewing let alone a test drive kind of rules them out as I would never buy without seeing and at least going in or driving one myself first to be sure I want and would be able to consider one.

I don't need anything for track as I have lined up a Pre2003 Touring car championship ex raced DC2 for that which I will hope to be getting very very soon, which I will be making road legal just to drive too and from a circuit, but I want something for the road more and the odd potential track day, the 911 GT3 value worries me a little and the Exige S would be overly expensive as a track car VS the DC2 so I was thinking the DC2 and an FK2 or FK8 for the road would be a good combo.

I also looked at a Seat Leon 280 but I cannot find one in the spec I would want, drove one recently as the new owner of my DC5's boyfriend had one and honestly it was lovely to drive

Hi mate hope all is well, this is what I was thought and was curious about but the lack of them being available for a viewing let alone a test drive kind of rules them out as I would never buy without seeing and at least going in or driving one myself first to be sure I want and would be able to consider one.

I don't need anything for track as I have lined up a Pre2003 Touring car championship ex raced DC2 for that which I will hope to be getting very very soon, which I will be making road legal just to drive too and from a circuit, but I want something for the road more and the odd potential track day, the 911 GT3 value worries me a little and the Exige S would be overly expensive as a track car VS the DC2 so I was thinking the DC2 and an FK2 or FK8 for the road would be a good combo.

I also looked at a Seat Leon 280 but I cannot find one in the spec I would want, drove one recently as the new owner of my DC5's boyfriend had one and honestly it was lovely to drive
Yeah all good thanks, and you? I wouldn't recommend an FD2 as a road only car, they're getting on a little inside, they're bumpy and there isn't much in the way of sound deadening. Plus, unless you drive them like the clappers they're quite sedate and boring, which is its biggest problem as the car eggs you on into doing so.

Yeah all good thanks, and you? I wouldn't recommend an FD2 as a road only car, they're getting on a little inside, they're bumpy and there isn't much in the way of sound deadening. Plus, unless you drive them like the clappers they're quite sedate and boring, which is its biggest problem as the car eggs you on into doing so.

This was a concern and I know the DC2 race car would be far more fun on track than a track spec'd DC5 like I had or an FD2 also made to the same level, all good otherwise mate just need to find the right car now as the DC2 is being made ready for me to view, then I need to do some work on that to make it drivable on the road too and from tracks lol (I may regret that in time but we will see).

What spec are you looking for?

What in the FK2/8 or Seat?

I want all oem but if the Seat then it's the 280 in this rare grey colour with buckets as standard, was a really nice car to drive, same engine as the Golf R I believe, only reason I would consider it is they are discrete and capable :)

Seat. Wondered if it was something like the Brembo pack, which is really not needed for the road - while comparatively simple the standard brakes are more than capable. Do you mean the Dynamic Grey or the Monsoon?

I've daily driven both (had an FD2 when they were new. Currently 2 years into a Cupra 290), the Seat is a far more palatable and rounded package and you don't need to rag it to make progress when you don't want to. The FD2 just makes you drive like a tw*t (well, it did me anyway!)

Seat. Wondered if it was something like the Brembo pack, which is really not needed for the road - while comparatively simple the standard brakes are more than capable. Do you mean the Dynamic Grey or the Monsoon?

I've daily driven both (had an FD2 when they were new. Currently 2 years into a Cupra 290), the Seat is a far more palatable and rounded package and you don't need to rag it to make progress when you don't want to. The FD2 just makes you drive like a tw*t (well, it did me anyway!)

It's the Dynamic Grey mate, and yeah I would want the Brembo pack just because I would potentially do the odd track day in it for a more civilised track day over a full blown race car offering nothing but smiles. The DC5 I did was perfect but I had that on track for 5yrs so fancied a change :-
I don't think the FD2 is really in my list at the moment mainly as I have never driven one and I honestly am not a fan of it's looks. Maybe I would change my mind if I drove one but the FK2 and FK8 are so capable (Like the seat) they are above it in the list.

I wouldn't bother with the Brembo's unless you want the bling factor and are willing to put up with the problems they can cause. The clubsport S Golf used the standard calipers with better pads and a slightly different disc (alloy centre bell, fits exactly the same) - if they can survive back to back hot laps of the Ring, they'll be perfectly fine for the odd UK trackday.

I wouldn't bother with the Brembo's unless you want the bling factor and are willing to put up with the problems they can cause. The clubsport S Golf used the standard calipers with better pads and a slightly different disc (alloy centre bell, fits exactly the same) - if they can survive back to back hot laps of the Ring, they'll be perfectly fine for the odd UK trackday.

Cool thanks for the info as I literally know nothing about them apart from I drove one briefly and it was a really nice car.

FK8 viewing tomorrow am and poss the FK2 after but if not on Friday morningg, at least the I will know how those two feel back to back and whether or not I would want one for the road :)

I don't think the FD2 is really in my list at the moment mainly as I have never driven one and I honestly am not a fan of it's looks. Maybe I would change my mind if I drove one
You're welcome to drive mine if you're ever any where near Gloucester or we're at a track day together. But don't forget it isn't exactly what I'd define as standard. ;)

Perhaps that's the reason it lives in the garage and I use my M140i for pretty much everything else.

You're welcome to drive mine if you're ever any where near Gloucester or we're at a track day together. But don't forget it isn't exactly what I'd define as standard. ;)

Perhaps that's the reason it lives in the garage and I use my M140i for pretty much everything else.

Look forward to meeting again mate and yeah I would love too thanks, yeah I am doing similar to you, separate cars for separate uses, makes the track one feel that much better and I can then push harder without worry knowing its my only car lol

Purchased an fk2 today, collecting on Friday. Absolutely can't wait. Got my fk8 coming next month. Safe to say I love both models. Sadly my mk1 fabia vrs I have owned for 12 years has sold today to make room for the fk2 :( fk2 going to be the weekend toy and fk8 the daily, although since I work from home daily doesn't mean much!

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm after a fk2 or fk8 for use primarily on track. I don't care what they look like (they're both fugly but coming from a megane mk 2 I'm hardly in a position to complain) or what the interior is like or the sound system.

I do care about reliability, performance, and fun. I care about being able to reduce the weight and uprate the brakes so they can work for a 30 minute stint on track without fading.

Given those criteria is the FK8 still the better option? How much difference does the new rear suspension config make on track? Are there aftermarket suspension options for the FK2?

If you are looking for track fun I’d look at Lotus, Caterham etc. The FK series is too heavy and expensive imho. They are fine for the odd day though.

Lotus and Caterham are not very practical track cars unless you have a trailer. Caterhams are brilliant fun but miserable in the cold or wet. Neither are very quick unless you spend a lot more than the price of a second hand FK2.

I don't even have a garage so I need to park my 'track' car on the street. I currently have a Megane R26 which is very similar weight (in stock trim) to a type-R and it's terrific on track.

However, it's French. Things fall off. Other things get stuck / start rattling around. It's done 110k miles and reliability is not going to improve.

I don't think there is has been a better hot hatch than the R26 until the FK2 in 2015 and they're just falling into the price range I consider reasonable. So I'm interested in hearing from people who track them whether they consider the FK8 to be significantly better, once you ignore looks and interior. I'm guessing the rear suspension is the most likely improvement to make a real difference.

Lotus and Caterham are not very practical track cars unless you have a trailer. Caterhams are brilliant fun but miserable in the cold or wet. Neither are very quick unless you spend a lot more than the price of a second hand FK2.

I don't even have a garage so I need to park my 'track' car on the street. I currently have a Megane R26 which is very similar weight (in stock trim) to a type-R and it's terrific on track.

However, it's French. Things fall off. Other things get stuck / start rattling around. It's done 110k miles and reliability is not going to improve.

I don't think there is has been a better hot hatch than the R26 until the FK2 in 2015 and they're just falling into the price range I consider reasonable. So I'm interested in hearing from people who track them whether they consider the FK8 to be significantly better, once you ignore looks and interior. I'm guessing the rear suspension is the most likely improvement to make a real difference.

I drove and raced Elise’s for 12 years I can’t remember ever being troubled by a hot hatch, whilst the R26 is ok I spent time with the R version at The Ring and Spa it is not a patch on an Elise or Caterham. I drove my Elise’s to every trackday I ever did and only once got trailered back in 100+ events. I appreciate that Caterhams are impractical but Lotus are fine left outside.

Chucking a 1.5 tonne car around track is going to create compromises, chap on here who has extensively tracked his has found issues, last time I read up was finding a suitable braking set up as they overheat. Around 100kg heavier I think than your current car.

I’m trying to be helpful, as I have been there spent big money on my EK9 then ended up going for a more fun car that easily quicker straight out the box, less wear and tear.

In terms of FK8 v FK2, there are known issues with FK8 overheating on track, but in all honestly speedwise doubt anything in them. I’d get the cheapest best condition or the one you prefer Ultimately the FK8 is the better car regardless of what owners may say, find an online impartial review that says otherwise.

They are great cars enjoy.

In terms of FK8 v FK2, there are known issues with FK8 overheating on track, but in all honestly speedwise doubt anything in them. I’d get the cheapest best condition or the one you prefer Ultimately the FK8 is the better car regardless of what owners may say, find an online impartial review that says otherwise.

All the reviews say the FK8 is the better car. But the reasons they say it's better are not really relevant to me, with the possible exception of the rear suspension. Hence the question.

Larger brakes are an inevitable upgrade for regular track use, I've put mk3 brakes on my mk2, and that would be the first mod on a type-r. I'll have a look for the thread you mention.

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm after a fk2 or fk8 for use primarily on track. I don't care what they look like (they're both fugly but coming from a megane mk 2 I'm hardly in a position to complain) or what the interior is like or the sound system.

I do care about reliability, performance, and fun. I care about being able to reduce the weight and uprate the brakes so they can work for a 30 minute stint on track without fading.

Given those criteria is the FK8 still the better option? How much difference does the new rear suspension config make on track? Are there aftermarket suspension options for the FK2?

The FK8 I personally felt was a nicer place to be, drove nicer than the FK2 and was easier to get in and out of without future damage being caused to the seat bolsters.

I would not be buying an FK2 or FK8 for a track car, the likes of TGM moved away from both variants due to issues with them (mainly overheating). They are only good for very short stints (15 mins or so MAX) which is why I was looking for either for my daily and should hope to soon view and pending viewing buy the Pre2003 Touring car championship Race DC2 I have my eyes on. That would be my track car, 900kg's for pure agile lightness and fun, it was that or an Exige/Exige S, Atom, Caterham or if something bigger then maybe a Cayman S or similar.

Back