• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 test drive

Hi guys as some of you may have read I posted earlier this week on some advice regarding modding an FN2 or buying a New FK8.

The consensus seemed to be with buying the FK8.

So I went today and had a test drive in a 2018 FK8 with 17000 miles on it before signing for a new one. They allowed me to take the car on my own for an hour.

Well I can honestly say it was probably the most planted capable car I have ever driven and very quick.

The big issue for me which really put me off is the Gearbox believe it or not which I am very surprised about been a Honda. I have been reading about FK8's for a while and heard a few mention the crunchy Gearbox and thought maybe it's just a rare incident. I found the Gearbox extremely crunchy and unwilling to smoothly select gears. In fact on 3 occasions it literally crunched.

To be honest I was very disappointed in this as the rest of the car was absolutely amazing. I came straight home and drove my FN2 and the gearbox was amazing and precise and silky smooth.

It made me cancel my order for a new one as I really did not like the box and it spoilt the experience. I am shocked that Honda are not accepting the fact the box has issues.

How many FK8 owners experience this out of interest?

Is the FK2 the same box and do FK2 owners have similar issues.

Does anybody know if Honda has revised the box for the 2020 facelift which is available very soon?

Other than the box the car was just unbelievable but it was enough to make me stop my purchase. Real shame.

Hmm; Wondering if you've test driven one that's been ragged beyond redemption or just a lemon:- I've only had a single crunch, and that was when a friend very (! :p ) breifly tried the car; Even then they're not sure they were 100% on point with the change.

Other than that single incident, it's always been fine - I am generally careful with my 1 - 2 changes given the issues that are reported (FWD Isn't the best platform for dragracing anyway!), but I'm not excessively babying.

I do believe (And those I know who work in Honda service) that the service interval for the MTF Is _vastly_ too long (Reccomended interval is 75k Miles IIRC) - I changed it after 2 years in my 9G 1.4 and there was a noticable improvement in shifting, so I'm sure the CTR would similarly benefit. - I plan to have mine changed at next service (Also 2nd major for me).

As it is rather relevant, I have made a few changes to my setup:- Acuity short shifter (Set to near-OEM throws), Acuity gear selector bushings, and a Skunk 2 Knob - I mention these as I know many US users seem to associate them with a reduction in crunches - I can't say it has for me (As above; virtually none before or after) but they certainly improve subjective feel for me.

Where abouts are you in the UK?

Hmm; Wondering if you've test driven one that's been ragged beyond redemption or just a lemon:- I've only had a single crunch, and that was when a friend very (! :p ) breifly tried the car; Even then they're not sure they were 100% on point with the change.

Other than that single incident, it's always been fine - I am generally careful with my 1 - 2 changes given the issues that are reported (FWD Isn't the best platform for dragracing anyway!), but I'm not excessively babying.

I do believe (And those I know who work in Honda service) that the service interval for the MTF Is _vastly_ too long (Reccomended interval is 75k Miles IIRC) - I changed it after 2 years in my 9G 1.4 and there was a noticable improvement in shifting, so I'm sure the CTR would similarly benefit. - I plan to have mine changed at next service (Also 2nd major for me).

As it is rather relevant, I have made a few changes to my setup:- Acuity short shifter (Set to near-OEM throws), Acuity gear selector bushings, and a Skunk 2 Knob - I mention these as I know many US users seem to associate them with a reduction in crunches - I can't say it has for me (As above; virtually none before or after) but they certainly improve subjective feel for me.

Where abouts are you in the UK?

Hi buddy I live in Hedon East Yorkshire.

I must say I was blown away with the car and how it felt. But the gearbox was not what I expected. It was just crunchy and not at all smooth. Like I say I came straight home and got my 2008 FN2 out of the garage with only 19000 miles to compare and the FN2 gearbox was so good and silky smooth.

It has worried me and put me off because it's one of the reasons I love driving Honda's as the box in the FN2 and EP3 are amazing and really make the whole driving experience brilliant.

I wonder if Honda have revised anything on the new 2020 model to stop this. I know a lot of people are experiencing the issue after spending some time reading this afternoon when I got home.

I can't think of any changes to the gearbox other than the weighted knob and linkage adjustments:- I'm not aware of any actual in-box changes - It seems a little unlikely, but at the same time it's the sort of thing that doesn't get mentioned in press releases.

https://youtu.be/1M-QktDQqh0

Savagegeese is very thorough (and well researched) looking at the changes to the 2020, but doesn't mention any syncro changes etc. - see https://youtu.be/1M-QktDQqh0?t=600

Looking around on Facebook, I don't seem to see any / many reports of gear issues from EU users - Mostly Americans seem to be affected; I do in part wonder (Other than jesting re. American ability with manual transmissions!) if it's down to higher temperatures over there, as I know Veehexx has mentioned the gearbox getting rather warm in the past on his FK2 (The FK8 has a transmission cooler added, funnily enough) and if that's perhaps leading to early degradation of lubricants? - Lots of NA users also report cures involving transmission oils from Redline / Motul etc.

It's a shame you're so far away or I'd offer you a drive!

I can't think of any changes to the gearbox other than the weighted knob and linkage adjustments:- I'm not aware of any actual in-box changes - It seems a little unlikely, but at the same time it's the sort of thing that doesn't get mentioned in press releases.

https://youtu.be/1M-QktDQqh0

Savagegeese is very thorough (and well researched) looking at the changes to the 2020, but doesn't mention any syncro changes etc. - see https://youtu.be/1M-QktDQqh0?t=600

Looking around on Facebook, I don't seem to see any / many reports of gear issues from EU users - Mostly Americans seem to be affected; I do in part wonder (Other than jesting re. American ability with manual transmissions!) if it's down to higher temperatures over there, as I know Veehexx has mentioned the gearbox getting rather warm in the past on his FK2 (The FK8 has a transmission cooler added, funnily enough) and if that's perhaps leading to early degradation of lubricants? - Lots of NA users also report cures involving transmission oils from Redline / Motul etc.

It's a shame you're so far away or I'd offer you a drive!

Thanks for you investigation. I have also been looking.

I am a little shocked that Honda have allowed this issue to continue. Honda boxes was always fantastic back in my days. Drove many S2000' s and NA Type R cars and always found them silky smooth and precise and just a joy to use.

I just read a post on another forum ( Civic X I think?? ) a guy had an absolute nightmare with his FK8 gearbox and after months without his car he ended getting a brand new replaced vehicle.

The more you look the more you realise how common the issue is.

What mileage are you on at the moment do you experience any crunching or noise?

12,000 - No crunches or noises IME. (Aside from the single one, under another driver, who probably botched the shift anyway!)

I do think you've test driven a lemon! - Speaking for our local Honda club, ~10+ FK2 / 8 Drivers, none of which have had any gear issues at all, even with remapping (Incl. 450WHP+! on the standard box).

There are a couple of Honda service managers in our number; One has dealt with another club member who had a gearbox rebuild paid for by honda - But he's not known for mechanical sympathy (Traffic light GP every time!)

My first fk8 was rejected due to 4th gear locking out.

I’ve had no issues with this one (my third) in just under 5k miles.

What gears were crunching ?

Never really had an issue, if anything, once or twice I think that was due to my sloppy clutch depression.

Seems to be more a US problem for some reason even though they're all made in the same factory.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

My first fk8 was rejected due to 4th gear locking out.

I’ve had no issues with this one (my third) in just under 5k miles.

What gears were crunching ?

Hi bud.

It made a loud crunch noise going from 4th to 3rd or possibly 3rd to second I can't remember.

But throughout the drive it felt very notchy.

12,000 - No crunches or noises IME. (Aside from the single one, under another driver, who probably botched the shift anyway!)

I do think you've test driven a lemon! - Speaking for our local Honda club, ~10+ FK2 / 8 Drivers, none of which have had any gear issues at all, even with remapping (Incl. 450WHP+! on the standard box).

There are a couple of Honda service managers in our number; One has dealt with another club member who had a gearbox rebuild paid for by honda - But he's not known for mechanical sympathy (Traffic light GP every time!)

How strange. Does the issue exist amongst FK2 owners at all?

It has the same gearbox doesn't it?

I need to drive another one but finding one in a dealer locally is not easy.

Their must be an issue of some kind which I am very surprised with Honda.

On most of the US forums it seems to be 2nd and 3rd.

The box is notchy in my opinion anyway but I like that feel, more mechanical.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

No issues with ours after 15k miles. I too read about a few gearbox issues so was quite sensitive to any perceived crunching etc but it has been perfect. I wouldn't let this put you off buying a new car as the odds are in your favour and you will likely be fine.

Interesting comments on changing the oil after 2 years, I think this may be prudent. What oil have others used?

I went from a 58 plate FN2 that I took from 16 to 70ish k to a new FK8 last year on a 19 plate so have a direct comparison.

At first the FK8’s box was pretty tight and notchy but by 1k miles it had worn in beautifully. I’m at 7K now with a few track days and I’ve never had a crunch out of it. I will say I have hit the gate a few times where as the FN2’s box was almost telepathic but that’s almost certainly user error. The old FN2 would crunch into 2nd on 8k+ changes.

One thing I will add, I find that the first few changes can be a bit notchy before the box gets up to full temperature / oil has splashed about (not 100% sure but I'm fairly it's just splash lubricated.)

Beyond that, all riflebolt.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

A bit crunchy when cold. Slower, three second, gear changes, rather than “racing” changes is the way to go.

i had a few of crunches going 1-2nd, only when launching it from stand still and really pushing it. never happened often as i dont like to punish my car.
i reported it to the dealer who couldnt replicate the problem (i managed to film a crunch on my phone and showed them the footage)
clearly they did not understand what a quick shift from 1-2nd was or fast launching from 1-2nd judging by my dash cam footage... the guy drove like Miss Daisy :roll:
however they volunteered to take my gearbox appart to investigate but said if no issues where found they doubt honda would pay for it and i'd be out of pocket for a rebuild!

doing some investigation on the US forums i found a guide on how to adjust the CMC rod as apparently some are poorly adjusted from the factory. mine had a lot of play so i adjusted it to make it snug, i had the dealer change the oil too and ive fitted a weighted gear knob.
my shifts now have been great and so far no 1-2nd crunches !

i told the dealer about the CMC rod adjustment and they did not even know about it!

April 19 car for me. 9k miles and no gearbox issues whatsoever.

I will say that the first 2k miles or so the change felt 'tight' until the fluids were up to temperature, but a) I would expect this of any brand new car, especially a performance car and b) you shouldn't be ragging a car when cold anyway.

Unfortunately i really do think you've test driven a lemon. I've had a pretty diverse range of cars and usually change around every 2 years out of boredom, but still loving the FK8 and not looking to change.

The gearbox on the demo FK8 I drove was really poor, I still remember getting back into my FD2 which at the time needed a new clutch and it felt nicer.

OP youve got a lemon there I reckon

Have another test drive in one. I test drove three ep3s before I 'got it' but it sounds you've enjoyed it except for the gear shift, but don't let that one tar the rest

I am a strong believer that a problem gear box shows itself earlier on in this cars life, so if you are buying second hand, a test drive will show this up. Happy to be challenged but I have not seen much evidence of problems after 5- 10K

I really like the shift and the mechanical 'thump' it makes. I don't get the acuity upgrades, but I have never tried it so I will pipe down

EDIT - Just seen your thinking of buying a new one. Does make it a bit more tricky..! :(

Back