• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

Rq7BiiO.jpg

WKkUC98.jpg

VhUatk7.jpg

uxieMdq.jpg

Yea, the wheels do look really sh1t. Can’t wait to get the arches sorted now :)

Oh and I forgot to add... some very odd behaviour from the brake pedal today. It started going soft for a good 50% of the travel and then started to bite, if I pumped the pedal mid braking it’d return to normal and bite back up top, wait a couple seconds and it’d travel again before biting; very disconcerting. I can only think that it’s a calliper piston returning too far? It feels like when you change your pads after you’ve compressed the piston and you’ve got to pump the pedal before the piston & pads seat themselves on the disc.

Any other ideas? I’m all ears.

A very small leak or air somewhere in the system? The piston should always reset very close to the disc. Do you have discs on all 4 wheels? (I forgot to check)

Minifin drums on the back. Could be an air leak I suppose, but how would that explain the solid pedal on a 2nd pump??

Now that I think about it after some hopps derrived lubricant, an air leak makes perfect sense. Thanks chaps... that’s tomorrow’s mission then!

I did some weight reduction this afternoon. No more back seats or heater. If I get the time tomorrow I’ll also remove the inoperable stereo and remaining heater switches, piping, ducting & wiring. Should be around 15kg in total so around 2% weight loss :)

OkPnrKq.jpg

6UlKhDb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fcuk driving with no heater. On the first early morning summer run you’ll rue the 1% weight loss.

I’ve never once turned it on, including some almost frosty mornings. The thing was asthmatic, used a PC fan to circulate and had a radiator about 5x5x1 inch.

Minor update....

Arches arrive this week. Body shop is booked a week on Friday, they'll have it for a month whilst I'm away working :) Should come home to a finished kitchen and a nicely painted & dent/rust free mini with sensible arches :D

I priced up a few odds and ends on Tegiwa last night in prep for taking it into grinspeed for a extra long (3.7) custom final drive from watsons engineering. At the same time I thought I would fit a lightweight flywheel and tone down the clutch as it's currently a stage 2 competition clutch. I've gone for an exceedy LW flywheel and stage 1 organic.

Whilst I was there I priced up a Hondata S300 ECU & an Hondata coil pack conversion kit, spoon magnetic sump plugs, skunk2 gearknob and oil cap & last but by no means least a Super B Lithium Ion Battery at 1.7kg. Ouch. Still tempted though :lol: I need the ECU so I can get rid of VSS vtec requirement so I can run some standard mini clocks from the VSS system (with correction). Also, powaaaaaaah.

If I can get rid of the dizzy altogether (additional parts required) I can use that space to run a brake servo or maybe just some ducting for a ram air feed. It's another kilo or two off the front end too.

Anyway... that's mostly stuff for the future, I just want the final drive & clutch/flywheel sorting ASAP. A must before JAE commute, if I decide to attend.

Very nice and nice plans too! Coils for the win as dizzy's are notorious on B series engines given their age now.

That might be a winter job for me. I'll get the ECU, coil system, coils, EPM (Engine position module - required to remove dizzy altogether) & all the dash and associated gauges etc and do it all in a one go. If I'm getting balls deep in wiring looms I'm only doing it the once!

I'm of the same thinking, hit an area with all the jobs you want to do once and once only if it can be helped!

Been driving it to work this week. Brakes are bizarre, totally inconsistent pedal. I had a sketchy roundabout approach where it felt like only the rears were working. Next application of the brakes nearly sent me through the screen. WTAF. Need to get it looked at.

Anyway... it’s faster than a brand new golf gti by a fair bit. He didn’t try a 2nd time :lol:

Edit: oh and I forgot!! I had a play with a 182 on some twisties. I’m not confident with the handling so he was catching on the faster corners but I was always pulling away on the power or keeping distance on the tight stuff. Nothing crazy, just some spirited driving. He gave a wave, thumbs up and a few flashes before turning off. Great fun! I’ve not had a play with someone else on the roads in years it felt like!

I’m going to swap the springs out for some original (but yellow dot - harder compound) rubber cones. I think those replacement spring things induce some extra roll. They’re bouncy AF too.

Seen this today and thought you might like it..
Well you will probably like the engine.
Must be mental fun.
f3e24e922e948e604e40716b1baa7c36.jpg
5873f7aa4b32237fb87c11503655be52.jpg
47925cb2ff95f8b3a706d2cc72e4019e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Is that a Concerto in the background. I had one of those, a 1.6 16v. Still had Rover seat belts though, so I always had a little hesitation when gunning it.

I don’t know if you lot can see the first pic or not. I can’t. Imgur is a POS.

Back