• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

High output alternator for EP3?

Hi all,

I've been looking around for higher output alternators for my EP3, but I can't find anything at all about this.

I'm installing a fairly powerful soundsystem (1200w rms) and have HID lights totalling 100w. The stock one I assume won't be up to the mark.

Does anyone have any advice or are able to point me in the right direction please?

Firstly, 1200w would not generally be considered powerful and in need of a higher output alternator (of which the only options tend to be to importing from the States).

Your best bet (and more adequate to your needs) would be to install a higher output battery from the likes of Optima or XS Power (of which your OEM alternator will generally be able to charge so long as it is isn't knackered). If you need a touch more juice, a power bank (capacitor) installed alongside your amp is also an option.

Firstly, 1200w would not generally be considered powerful and in need of a higher output alternator (of which the only options tend to be to importing from the States).

Your best bet (and more adequate to your needs) would be to install a higher output battery from the likes of Optima or XS Power (of which your OEM alternator will generally be able to charge so long as it is isn't knackered). If you need a touch more juice, a power bank (capacitor) installed alongside your amp is also an option.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I've been flat out with work and this is my first 'day off' so that's why I'm two weeks late.

The car has decent wires going to the boot so has had a subwoofer at some point. If the stock alternator is good for roughly 1200wrms I'll definately stick with it as a good friend of mine has replaced his alternator before and had a good time doing it... not.

So what else could be causing my radio to go static and HIDs to flicker when i plug in my usb charger to the cigarette lighter?? Interference maybe? It's not a cheapy either, had one of those melt before so I've been using a genuine samsung 15w charger since.

That would generally be an earthing fault somewhere. And you're welcome. The OEM battery might be okay, but depending on its age you may discover that the bigger bass drops draw too much current and dim all of your electrics (dash lights, headlights, etc).; so might be worth replacing if its fairly old / you suffer any of those issues once everything is connected.

Back