• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

honda service plan.....worth it or not?

so my mrs has a 2009 civic type r with 41k on the clock. it has 2 years warranty with honda.

she covers around 4k per year.

during a recent visit to honda to have some warranty work done they have offered us a service plan until 2021, it works out about £5 per week.

anybody else have this? ive always been reluctant to use main dealers for service work but if its peace of mind for my mrs then i will pay it.

thanks in advance

Depends really, if you're happy to do the annual oil change yourself I'd save the money and do that.

I had one (it literally just expired) and it's like putting money into a pot and that money being used to pay for your servicing when it comes time. One thing: my plan stated a 36 month duration but it only lasts for 31 months for some reason. The total payable for me over 3 years was £674.00 for reference.

You get half-price MOTs, all of the standard servicing is (of course) already paid up for and there's also roadside breakdown included. Car collection from home and courtesy car are also supposedly included according to the paperwork and there's complimentary vehicle healthchecks etc.

Only reason I took it out was because I have the car serviced every year with the MOT and I'll freely admit that I'm useless at carrying out most of the work myself as well as having no practical space at home to even have a go :p

Even so, there's a fair few benefits such as the breakdown, courtesy car and collection service that you may never need to use but you will effectively still be paying for those in the monthly price.

Late reply but hopefully that might help.

I had one (it literally just expired) and it's like putting money into a pot and that money being used to pay for your servicing when it comes time. One thing: my plan stated a 36 month duration but it only lasts for 31 months for some reason. The total payable for me over 3 years was £674.00 for reference.

You get half-price MOTs, all of the standard servicing is (of course) already paid up for and there's also roadside breakdown included. Car collection from home and courtesy car are also supposedly included according to the paperwork and there's complimentary vehicle healthchecks etc.

Only reason I took it out was because I have the car serviced every year with the MOT and I'll freely admit that I'm useless at carrying out most of the work myself as well as having no practical space at home to even have a go :p

Even so, there's a fair few benefits such as the breakdown, courtesy car and collection service that you may never need to use but you will effectively still be paying for those in the monthly price.

Late reply but hopefully that might help.
Depends what their version of a half price MOT is.

I pay £30 for an MOT anyway, about £50-60 for an oil and filter change and generally that's my EP3 sorted for 12 months as far as servicing goes.

Depends what their version of a half price MOT is.

I pay £30 for an MOT anyway, about £50-60 for an oil and filter change and generally that's my EP3 sorted for 12 months as far as servicing goes.

£27-something I think it was.

The overall cost is quite steep (I was looking over all of the figures again after making my reply and looking at what I'd gotten out of the deal over the 3 years) and if you don't make use of all of the services included then you won't get your money back. I had some new rear discs and pads fitted last time and even though they were apparently on 'service plan prices' they still looked more expensive than alternative sources. Then again, I suppose you are working with main dealer prices so service plan discounts are only going to bring bills down to 'normal' prices from other garages.

Going to have another proper look at the figures but I can see myself not bothering with another plan.

If the car currently has a FHSH then it could be worth the extra.

Over on the other forum there are loads of examples where the 8th gen rusty windscreen to roof problem has been fixed free, without issue. But, those who don't have the FHSH have had to fight tooth and nail involving the dealer and HCS and the end result is 50/50 whether it got done FOC.

As an aside Crown Honda Bushey chuck in the MOT FOC with every service, or they have with my last 2.

I pay a monthly plan to my local dealer for just the base service - £16.75 per month - just spreads the cost out over 2 years and included 0% finance and 10% discount.
This covers the oil change & health check - extras like gearbox oil change on top of that. Keeps it Honda on a low mileage, late reg FN2.

I can change air & pollen filters etc. myself so am not going to pay them for the privilege.

Back