• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to paint your brake calipers.

Suits

First to flounce
There are lots of ways to do this, but it often crops up as a how to do it, or what's the best way.

This is the way I have done it on two separate occasions and I have been pleased with the results on both occasions.

Things I used;
  • Axle stands
  • 1/2" paint brush
  • Lining brush
  • Folia-Tec kit
  • Wire brush
  • White Hammerite
Firstly the kit I use is the Folia-Tec kit which costs about £25 from Halfords, who normally have them in stock so you can just walk in and pick a pack up. You can use Hammerite which will work just as well I suppose but I choose the Folia-Tec mainly for peace of mind and the fact it comes with brake cleaner so saves having to buy an extra item. The brushes can all be had from Halfords too for under £10 for all three, so you only have to visit one shop, which makes it easier.

FoliaTec.jpg

Leave yourself a full day as the paint takes a good 12 hours to completely harden.

Jack the car up and put the car on all four axle stands.

Axlefront.jpg

Axlesrear.jpg

You only really get one chance to do this per caliper so take your time and get it right. Use the supplied brake cleaner and spray generously onto the caliper then use your wire brush to scrub like a mad man you will be surprised how well the calipers come up, the more you scrub the more build up you will remove and the better they will look.

Wire brush.

4rowbrush.jpg

Dirty caliper.

Dirtyfront.jpg

After a quick scrub.

Cleaned1.jpg

I cleaned all the calipers first and then went back over them again just to give them that extra clean, defined look.

Mask off things like brake discs and any rubber nipples that, if you don't trust your painting hand to avoid. My opinion do it anyway, you don't want to get any of this stuff anywhere you don't want it.

Then, when I was happy I started to mix the paint with the hardener and started painting.

Take your time and try and get a smooth even coverage, dont worry if its not giving the best cover yet, that will come with the second coat.

Do all of the calipers then go back over it for a second coat to give them the bright solid coat look. You can do this as many times as you like I suppose, but I didn't want to loose any of the detail on the calipers by applying the paint to thickly.

Rears after two coats.

Paintedrear.jpg

Fronts after two coats.

Prewhite.jpg

Don't be put off if you have lots of paint left over, I had loads on both occasions and just threw it away.

Then give the calipers about an hour to harden a little and use your lining brush to touch up the embossed bits with the white Hammerite. I suppose you can use any colour really but I went for the clean look of white. If you don't have embossed calipers you can use decals, (MOOK a member on the forum will be able to sell you some) .

hammerite.jpg

Finished.jpg

I then left the car sit for a few hours for the paint to harden further. In the mean time I cleaned the wheels as they were already off the car. Once that was done I put the wheels back on the car and parked her up where she stayed for the night while the paint totally hardened and was finished.

This is what I was left with..

Cleaner2.jpg

Cleaner3.jpg

Also, a full year after painting this is what they looked like..

Yearlater.jpg

Not bad for about £35.

No lacquer, so it wont peel when using alloy cleaner?

Nope mine never did, I used all sorts of wheel cleaner on them.

I assumed the hardener supplied in the pack provided the barrier.

When I sold the car ten months ago the calipers still looked as fresh as the day I painted them, which would be over three years ago now :) .

Good write up, I will definately be out buying 2 more axle stands!
But scary nood question...does anyone have a diagram or a photo of where I should best place the axle stands on an FN2?
And if Neily03 says "under the axles", I'll get Lee to superman punch you! :lol::lol:

But scary nood question...does anyone have a diagram or a photo of where I should best place the axle stands on an FN2?
And if Neily03 says "under the axles", I'll get Lee to superman punch you! :lol::lol:

LOL, put them unnder the jacking points that run along the skirt, not the axles, don't what ever you do though place then on the skirt as it will eat them and car will more than likely fall.

You will see the strengthened parts of the sills which look thinker and reinforced. There will be two on each side, inside the wheels.

Not a million miles away from where they are on my S2000.

Axlestands.jpg

As per Suits's explanation.

Front:
IMAG0261.jpg

Just about see jack on back:
IMAG0262.jpg

This may sound like a silly question.. But I havnt seen the kit your talking about yet. My visit to halfords is still outstanding lol. A) is there a particular hardener to paint ratio to use? Also if you use the stickers from mook or eBay for example would they need to be covered in laquer to help them not come off. It won't hurt right? Nice write up suits. Top notch yet again!

Halfrauds don't seem to stock it anymore.

Foliatech sell direct on the web, but the only feedback on the site was a guy saying "It's been 3 godamn months and I still ain't got my paint"

I got it from that demon tweaks place, it was pretty dear but I wanted that kit as it seems to have the best reputation. Also the caliper cleaner is pretty handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the foliatec kit from europerformance. It's been discontinued but they have the same kit but from e-tech. It comes with brake cleaner, already mixed paint and a little brush.

I have a query though. I have two bolts one at the top and one at the bottom of the back of the caliper. Each bolt has a metal hook thing. One is facing in and one is facing out but i don't know which is which. As it's brakes I don't want to get it wrong. Did that make sense? Can anyone help?

Back