• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 I might be about to go mad and get an FK8...

Stupid b*stard piece of s**t satnav!! Good to see some things never change. Ended up stuck in a traffic jam that seemed to stretch from Wimbledon to Coulsdon! Anyway, made it back now.

Very First impressions: what have I done?! Electric handbrake is annoying, why do you have to put your foot on the brake to release it?! Grr. Really annoying vibration on the dash at around 4.5k rpm. I didn't like the newness of everything - I'm a simple soul and haven't had many newer cars, and it all felt unfamiliar and digital. It didn't help that I was stuck in stop start traffic for 2 hours, had a panic attack, was generally having a miserable time.

But, once I settled into the car and everything became more familiar, and I finally had a wee and an M&S prawn sandwich, I started to enjoy the car. Throttle response is much better than the FK2, likely the lightened flywheel - this is a big improvement, the seating position is fantastic - I love it, it's perfect and so much easier to get out of. I spent most of the time in comfort mode as I crawled my way through Purley, it's really impressive, I'm 36 and have had stiff stupid cars but I was genuinely impressed with its general comfortable plodding ability. Once things opened up a bit into Surrey, I played about with the other drive modes. Sport mode is a good combination of comfort and, well, sportiness, and +R is still mental, but a little bit more usable than in the FK2. I think I'm the only person to say this, but to me the FK8 feels slightly quicker and more aggressive then the FK2 on acceleration. Its still batsh*t crazy, but with a level of refinement not seen in a Type R before.

To my surprise, I really like the digital dash! I like the way it displays the album artwork of your music choice in the screen and how it shows you a close up direction graphic when using the Satnav as you approach a junction.

I miss having the shift lights there all the time, like the FK2, they were so cool and hooligan-ish, but now you have to actually select them. Still it's cool getting the two red redline flashy light strips to indicate a gear change.

Brake hold is way more helpful that I thought it would be! The rev match system is better and more fun than I expected but I've turned it off. Gear shift is a shorter throw than the FK2, no issues going up and down the box, hopefully it stays that way, really epic gearbox.

From what I've experienced so far, the FK8 strikes an excellent balance between modern digital stuff and old school turbo hot hatchery, with a big sprinkling of refinement. My biggest worry is that it wouldn't be quite as bonkers, but it is, it just tempers it with that refinement.

It was very sad seeing my black edition be driven off by the Honda guy, it's a great car and it looked so clean and shiny! But hey, it's been enjoyed and it is a very rare little fish, but at least I had one.

In a way, the FK2 is more like that crazy, unpredictable girl that you have a fling with, the FK8 is the one that you settle down with.

Glad to see you picked it up and joined the cool kids

Electric handbrake you get used to quickly. Shatnav, don’t bother use your phone. If you say or use comfort mode again I hope the mods ban you :p

I think the fk8 Just looks more rounded despite the wings and vents, more cohesive theatre. Put it next to the fk2, fk2 looks a little meek.

Now get out and enjoy it...Er.....for a day...

If you’ve got hill hold selected, you don’t have to take the parking brake off, just drive away. I turn it on when I start up and put the parking brake on when I park at the end of the journey. Simples.

We've had our FK8 over 2 years now. It's a fantastic car all round. Only thing that lets it down is the POS infotainment system .... but that's been discussed to death now.

Apart from that there's absolutely nothing I can complain about. And that's unusual for me :)

Hope you enjoy the new motor.

The electric handbrake takes some getting used to :p

What I still find myself doing is parking up & getting out of the car,locking it,then doubting whether I've applied the handbrake #-o

It's not like you can just look through the window like you can with a conventional handbrake to check :lol:

So I find myself getting back into the car & starting it back up to check that red light is illuminated on the dash :creep:

Couple of pics, really does look mental in the flesh.

DSC-0415.jpg

DSC-0420.jpg

DSC-0419.jpg

DSC-0418.jpg

DSC-0417.jpg

From what I've experienced so far, the FK8 strikes an excellent balance between modern digital stuff and old school turbo hot hatchery, with a big sprinkling of refinement. My biggest worry is that it wouldn't be quite as bonkers, but it is, it just tempers it with that refinement.

I can heartily recommend getting an intake for it. Really gives it bags more character on acceleration and upshifts, especially at high revs - whoosh's and snorts, etc. I've got PRL High Volume Intake - took about an hour to fit (I'm a novice with such things). Would never go back to stock intake muffler/box.

I can heartily recommend getting an intake for it. Really gives it bags more character on acceleration and upshifts, especially at high revs - whoosh's and snorts, etc. I've got PRL High Volume Intake - took about an hour to fit (I'm a novice with such things). Would never go back to stock intake muffler/box.

I have the injen evo and its not as characterful as I had hoped, despite being a similar design to the PRL but hey ho.... Warranty considerations of course as well on a 69 plate for clamster

I have the injen evo and its not as characterful as I had hoped, despite being a similar design to the PRL but hey ho.... Warranty considerations of course as well on a 69 plate for clamster

Mine is 69 plate and it went in for service a couple of months with no mention of it - also have HKS exhaust on now. They can't deny a claim for anything not clearly related to a mod you've done. Air-con goes pop, they can't get away with denying a claim because of an intake, etc.

I'd always suggest doing a few thousand miles in it to make sure it's all good and then off you go as far as mods go. Engine tuning however will for sure tear up the warranty on your whole drivetrain

Mine is 69 plate and it went in for service a couple of months with no mention of it - also have HKS exhaust on now. They can't deny a claim for anything not clearly related to a mod you've done. Air-con goes pop, they can't get away with denying a claim because of an intake, etc.

I'd always suggest doing a few thousand miles in it to make sure it's all good and then off you go as far as mods go. Engine tuning however will for sure tear up the warranty on your whole drivetrain

It’s not the dealer that decides on the claim though. It’s Honda U.K.

They will want a video of the car etc.

Been there and done that ...

It’s not the dealer that decides on the claim though. It’s Honda U.K.

They will want a video of the car etc.

Been there and done that ...

Yep, dealer wont say anything, but if anything goes wrong, Honda UK will try to wriggle out of it due to mods. I know what you mean Gary, if an unrelated part to the Mod fails, but has been rejected before and will be rejected again. Depends on dealer sometimes, but with modding you need to go in with eyes wide open

Yes Mrs Clam has an FN2 Type R. I'm not getting old and fat, but blimey the ride is harsh! Not FD2 harsh, just kind of rudimentary. Looks great still though, I think the FN2 has aged really well.

I don't think I'll be doing anything with the intake properly just yet, possibly a K&N filter if it even makes much difference? I have ordered some new reg plates as the I don't like the rear one as it is oversized and 'fatter' than standard. Plus I don't like the blue euro badges.

Yes Mrs Clam has an FN2 Type R. I'm not getting old and fat, but blimey the ride is harsh! Not FD2 harsh, just kind of rudimentary. Looks great still though, I think the FN2 has aged really well.

I don't think I'll be doing anything with the intake properly just yet, possibly a K&N filter if it even makes much difference? I have ordered some new reg plates as the I don't like the rear one as it is oversized and 'fatter' than standard. Plus I don't like the blue euro badges.

yeah k&n is well worth it. I could never here the 'psssh' stock and could with the pipercross first, then the K&N when the pipercross was falling apart

I don't think I'll be doing anything with the intake properly just yet, possibly a K&N filter if it even makes much difference?.

Yes the K&N does make more sound compared to stock but not anything like what the PRL does (and I assume others like Takeda, Eventuri, Injen, etc). If you DM me your address, I'll send you my K&N which I had for about 3,000 miles before replacing with the PRL - my good deed for the day :D/

Back