• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jack's Cosmic Grey EP3 Premier Edition!

Its been a while since i have popped anything onto my thread here!

The car has been carrying out its duties wonderfully over 10 months or so since i last posted. A couple things have changed however:

Eibach ABP's were removed, standard suspension re installed
Tegiwa Catback removed and standard installed until new catback was sourced

So, then after a long time of looking i fell in with the replacement catback. It is a Mugen Twin Loop. Ultimate JDM-ness! These things are worse than hens teeth to find!!! I fitted it myself, all went fairly smooth. I have to say, this is the idea sound wise i have in my head for these cars! It is bang spot on! Build quality, well, its genuine Mugen!

The car has had a full detail. It ended up not needing much, apart from tar and iron removal, and pre wax cleanse, and then a coat of wax. There is basically no swirling, hologram-ing, scratches etc which is fab! Its pretty perfect paint wise which is great!

Here's a couple of snaps!

B7A7488E-EA28-4789-83B9-F8E27EF55443_zpslv9n0blw.jpg

F127759E-7A64-45D5-8B0A-A29B03BA6370_zpscxyzfc6x.jpg

945C58DF-AF6E-4D44-9FC3-A89EAB86C5AB_zpscgm6pual.jpg

85EC7794-09DF-4672-A932-32F6EBE8565D_zps9mmkslth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good mate!

I've got the same cat-back and intake as you on mine, still loving them after more than a year of having both together.

Looks good mate!

I've got the same cat-back and intake as you on mine, still loving them after more than a year of having both together.

Yeah, i love them. To me they are the perfect sound, and perfect volume.

Chris- the Mugen air box is a very nice looking piece! It would be super nice to have! However its not actually that beneficial over stock in terms of power. The Tegiwa Airbox which i have on out performs the Mugen box. Its also a lot louder than the Mugen box would be.

Good choice for sound on the Mugen Twinloop.

I like mine too. Nice balanced sound. And Mugen quality. JUst ordered up the Gruppe M intake for my EP3.

Your car is looking good.

Good choice for sound on the Mugen Twinloop.

I like mine too. Nice balanced sound. And Mugen quality. JUst ordered up the Gruppe M intake for my EP3.

Your car is looking good.

Thanks man. Yeah, great system for sure. I love it!! It is perfect. I had a good read through your thread there on your own car. Looking good, can see you are a fan of Mugen parts! I noticed you stumbled into the JDM fitment at the cat end from the Twin Loop- I easily rectified this by just stepping the bolt size down from M10 to M8 bolts, fitted perfect through the holes.

Have you installed the manifold? If so, how was the volume and sound with that fitted?

However its not actually that beneficial over stock in terms of power. The Tegiwa Airbox which i have on out performs the Mugen box.

According to what? Internet fallacy and salespeople?

My Mugen airbox made 10 peak BHP over my old Gruppe M and more torque all over. There are other lads on the DC5 forum with similar results.

According to what? Internet fallacy and salespeople?

My Mugen airbox made 10 peak BHP over my old Gruppe M and more torque all over. There are other lads on the DC5 forum with similar results.

There are a lot of threads and dyno evidence of it being poor for power. It is essentially a standard box with the baffles removed right?

But if you are able to make 10BHP over an already BHP making Gruppe M, then thats simply staggering. You must be making about 20BHP out of the Mugen airbox over standard! :s

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of threads and dyno evidence of it being poor for power. It is essentially a standard box with the baffles removed right?

But if you are able to make 10BHP over an already BHP making Gruppe M, then thats simply staggering. You must be making about 20BHP out of the Mugen airbox over standard! :s

That's the problem with forums and armchair tuners, loads of false information gets regurgitated and people take it as fact as it's just always been the way.

The Mugen airbox is a lot lighter than OEM, smoother & larger internals, larger intake piping and scoop etc. Mugen make the best aftermarket kit for Honda's.

Everyone used to slate the Mugen Twinloop and said it doesn't make power, then Dotty put one on and his was the first NA K20 without stroker etc to break 250 bhp at TDI North.

The Gruppe M to me is overrated. It's a shoddy fit, it's far too loud and I always question the actual gains on the road. My car with the Mugen on is faster, sounds better and feels better on the road.

I mean it depends what you want i think. The Gruppe M is loud, some love this (me included) some don't. The Mugen is a lot quieter, so the Gruppe M volume haters will love it. Personally i think the Gruppe M looks the best in the bay. Horses for courses.

Anyway, the Injen apparently make the most power on the K20 from TDi Norths extensive dyno running tests. I just wouldn't want the fear of the Hydrolocking with that one. :(

Back