• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

k and n typhoon on rolling road

im fortunate to have a friend with a rolling road and i have a very standard type r, 201 bhp first run and with a k and n typhoon as the only mod it reached 204, so no real gain but no loss either and it sounds awesome so give this kit a little respect please

yeah im not bigging it up and makin it out to be amazin, i work in a scrapyard and it came in on a ep3 so gave it a blast just think for what it is its ok as a budget kit

Oh yeh, definitely if you're set on one or can't be bothered with the little niggles of the AEM then it's a bonus gaining rather than losing like most people seem to think.

I love my AEM like a blind man loves his guide dog though so i'm biased. ;)

nice to see its proven not to make a loss like so many people tried to tell me it did.

Things can become very different with a closed, hot engine bay rather than a bonnet up dyno run, which in my experience is how this kit normally shows gains.

i live in wales its so cold it would freezer a engine bay lol, like i said was just interesting to see the gain

bonnet up would be the same for any dyno run. Theres prob hardly anything in it on the majority of kits.

yeah sounds cool will leave it on till i spend some money on a better kit, want to do a supercharger conversion on it if my partner agrees to let me haha, trouble is females want houses not superchargers lol

This argument will go on until the end of time as both camps (ie those for heat soak and those against) both feel very strongly about their argument. The thing is look at it this way. Regardless of the bonnet being up or down the fan is there for one reason and one reason only. to provide some cooling to the radiator. It is not there to simulate the air movement of a car travelling at 70+ mph. For that you would need a full on wind tunnel. Most of the fans provide closer to 20-25mph max. At speeds above approx 30mph the hot air trapped under the bonnet is overcome and actually the inlet air temp of an open filter is only a couple of degrees different to that of an inclosed filter or "cold air" filter located outside the engine bay. On a rolling road an open filter will suffer as the heat isn't dissipated by the air flow as the air flow is very limited.

Much more of the difference comes down to the design and "length tuning" of the kit. Without going to overboard with science there is an ideal length from the filter (or ram scoop in the case of the gruppeM) to the manifold and any kit should be a multiple of this. Then of course kits like the gruppeM at higher speeds have the bonus of a ram air effect increasing the pressure inside the kit and so forcing more air into the engine.

Back