• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Key Fob range and reliability

Hi Folks. I have and 02 Plate EP3 and the key fod is shocking. I literally have to be inside the car for it to work. It used to work from around 6 feet away but i dropped it yesterday and now i have to press it about 10x for the car to lock or unlock.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it normal for this to happen? Can i improve the range on it? I have new battery's in it and have taken it apart and put it back together again after dropping it.

Thanks

i dropped it

Perhaps you need a new one?

you could jimmy it open and check the connections, there is a how-to on changing over the key fob IIRC. I think it is cheap enough to, but that was a while ago.

Yea but surely these things are designed to be dropped once in a while...... They are keys after all. Ill take a look at the how - to guide. If i need a replacement where do i get it from?

Yours is maybe the one that got away and may have been thin on solder.

I've seen the thread talking about eBay. After all it's the plastics that being replaced

I have replaced the plastic with a refurbishment kit before now that replaced the outer casing. I have looked for a how-to guide but the only one i found didn't work.... It must be the circuit board i need to replace surly.....

Ive fixed dodgy circuit boards before by oven baking them to fix microfisures in the circuits, do you think i should do the same with mine?

You could try it, but. Don't blame me if you overcook it.

Most likely it's a bad connection, especially with the range you aren't getting now.

Oh, and don't call me Shirley ;)

HAHA! Does anyone know how to reprogramme this key fob. Its the older one without the LED and two buttons?

change the battery and always touch you chin with it when you go to open the car with the fob..

Funny guy ;). Ill replace the battery when i get home. It could be run down in my pocket with the button being contently pressed. Plus it could just be a poor batery, i did buy it form ebay as Halfords dont stock that one......

Take it to Honda, I actually used the "How To" guide from H&P who make the earlier alarms and it did nothing. £100 later I have two brand new alarm fobs that haven't failed *touch wood* and are correctly programmed. I had one fault before I had the new fobs and because Honda had it in I made them sort it FOC :lol:

Funny guy ;). Ill replace the battery when i get home. It could be run down in my pocket with the button being contently pressed. Plus it could just be a poor batery, i did buy it form ebay as Halfords dont stock that one......

I wasnt kidding lol..I used to do this all the time because mine ****ed me off no end... that and the random days when it didnt work at all and made me have to get a lift into work.

100 quid!!!!! A little steep dont you think?

That's two brand new fobs and them reprogramming the whole alarm. My old fobs would basically set a code, but then forget the code. Which would leave me pushing the fob for ages like you. Plus if anything goes wrong again they will sort it out.

I got them to try and sort it first, cost like £40 and it worked for all of two weeks then they suggested I have new fobs. Then I paid an extra £60 for fobs and labour.

That sounds a little better. If I go straight for the key fobs and program it should only be 60 bar. You never guess what though, I just walked out of the shop after gettin some beers for the game and it opened from the door of the shop that was 20 meters away.... Go figure...

:lol: well mine got to a point where my gf's Corsa fob and my bosses VW fob was able to unlock my car. I found the best way was to lock/unlock my car was with key and then I could atleast sit in the car and then spend 15 minutes pressing the button for it to unarm the immobiliser lol.

EDIT: Ring your local Honda and ask for a price, mine changed their minds when I got there so I pulled them up on it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back